Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

My favorite one is, "Oh, you were in the Army and flew helicopters?  How was it over in Vietnam?"

American troop deployments in Vietnam were from 1961 thru April of 1973.
That was a period when I was two years old thru nearly fourteen years old.

I always answer, "Well I tried to go over there and serve, but they wouldn't let me out of Elementary School to go."

😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sparquelito said:

My favorite one is, "Oh, you were in the Army and flew helicopters?  How was it over in Vietnam?"

I always answer, "Well I tried to go over there and serve, but they wouldn't let me out of Elementary School to go."

😐

To people under 30 - if you're over 60, they just assume youre an old fart and plus or minus a hundred years old. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 6:49 PM, Retired said:

Here's a new one. I was taking off my shirt and and as it went on top of my head, I couldn't see anything, lost my balance and fell towards the bathroom sinks.  That was a first for me. 

When  you  see the friend and neighbor couple across the street you've known for 10+ years deteriorate in less than a year.  She fell and knocked  her head bad on the toilet Sunday.  Both in 'Chemo' and have serious cancer, other issues. Yard use to be immaculate - now weeds, dried out, etc.  Lightbulbs out in porch lights.   And, of course, knowing you and your wife will soon be in the same place. 

I used to laugh at that bumpersticker/teeshirt slogan  "Life's a bytch and then you die.".     Not laughing anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I used to laugh at that bumpersticker/teeshirt slogan  "Life's a bytch and then you die.".     Not laughing anymore. 

More appropriate: "Life's a bytch after you marry one."

Edited by gearbasher

On 10/31/2023 at 4:14 PM, sparquelito said:

😐

I was 8 in 61 and 20 in 73.  I always thought you were a little older than you are? 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, jdgm said:

Hate to agree but...yup.

[sad]

I felt like I spent so many decades wanting to reach retirement age and when it finally came, I whooped it up all the way home from the party singing. Then I suddenly thought, What am I celebrating for? If I make it to 100, over half my life is gone. I really don't want to see the 90's. I've seen too many make the 90's and there's nothing good about them. 

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

When  you  see the friend and neighbor couple across the street you've known for 10+ years deteriorate in less than a year.  She fell and knocked  her head bad on the toilet Sunday.  Both in 'Chemo' and have serious cancer, other issues. Yard use to be immaculate - now weeds, dried out, etc.  Lightbulbs out in porch lights.   And, of course, knowing you and your wife will soon be in the same place. 

I used to go up on the roof and climb all over like a monkey. I did roofing when I was laid off from the railroad. Now at 70, with the peaks our house has, I feel very insecure. My dad fell off 2 roofs when he was alive. It actually scares me some now. My wife says, I'll hire it done and I say....No you Won't. I can still go up. That's just a guys ego talking Lol. But yeah, so many things you actually can't do anymore as we age. My wife's aunt fell 3 steps and broke her neck. There was some name for a bone? Anyway, she died. Both our parents have been long gone. I have fallen several times and once in the basement getting Christmas decorations off the shelf. I fell on the concrete floor cracking my skull open. had several staples. they said I had a concussion.  Funny though, I was waiting for the doctor to show up and stitch it up  and was wondering what was taking him so long.  I started talking to myself. (Where is this guy coming from? Kansas City? If he was driving from Des Moines, He should be here by now!) Lol, I didn't know it was him in the hall on a computer listening to me. Guess they have to let concussion victims sit a long time and observe them first? 

I spent 30 years climbing up and down catwalks for work. I would even jump from one catwalk to another, because it was faster than going down and back up. Now, I still climb ladders , but if I use a step stool, I have to hold on to a wall or a piece of furniture to go up 3 steps. It sucks.

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

I spent 30 years climbing up and down catwalks for work. I would even jump from one catwalk to another, because it was faster than going down and back up. Now, I still climb ladders , but if I use a step stool, I have to hold on to a wall or a piece of furniture to go up 3 steps. It sucks.

I used to use ladderjacks and a 10" walkboard. 

Now I can't stay on a sidewalk without falling off.

And I haven't had a drink in years...

• Like 1

When I walk the dogs (one at a time) there's a place where there's a 'curb' on the inside part of the sidewalk I would walk and balance along - 10 feet ?    For 8 years, I never lost my balance once.  Last three times - I've lost it every time.  Don't know if it's an inner ear thing,  old age, psyched out after the first 'fail' or just a random thing that'll go away.  Try again today.   At least it's amusing for the cars driving by !  

8 hours ago, Retired said:

I used to go up on the roof and climb all over like a monkey. I did roofing when I was laid off from the railroad. Now at 70, with the peaks our house has, I feel very insecure. My dad fell off 2 roofs when he was alive. It actually scares me some now. My wife says, I'll hire it done and I say....No you Won't. I can still go up. That's just a guys ego talking Lol….

Please listen to your wife. Despite her pleas, our 70-something neighbor insisted on climbing the ladder to clean the gutters himself because he could do it and didn’t want to wait for help, a moment later he was dead on the ground, and his wife running to find him there after hearing the crash.  In a blink he left her alone and completely unprepared.  It turned her life upside down. She tried, but she couldn’t manage all by herself, and finally had to sell their cozy little home. It was a needless, tragic heartbreak from just a moment of vain self-centeredness. Please don’t give history a chance to repeat itself. 

4 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

You know you are old when on the phone you are asked give your birthdate to verify your ID and you say “eleven four, the middle of the last century.”  Ended up with an early senior discount on our phone bill because I threw the kid so bad.   😆

Well Happy Birthday a couple days early!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I've known a lot of people who met the "alternative" and not a single one came back. So, it must be pretty good over there.

Nod, there is that.  All flippancy aside, having “been dead once” I can attest at the time I wasn’t too thrilled about being pulled back.  And, tbh, there are moments I wonder whether it was the right move or not, grim chuckle.  But overall it’s been an interesting ride that is good to be on.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Murph said:

I used to use ladderjacks and a 10" walkboard. 

Now I can't stay on a sidewalk without falling off.

And I haven't had a drink in years...

At the Railroad, I would always jump from one car to the next. We carried hatch coveres from one to another on program cars. 

10 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Please listen to your wife. Despite her pleas, our 70-something neighbor insisted on climbing the ladder to clean the gutters himself because he could do it and didn’t want to wait for help, a moment later he was dead on the ground, and his wife running to find him there after hearing the crash.  In a blink he left her alone and completely unprepared.  It turned her life upside down. She tried, but she couldn’t manage all by herself, and finally had to sell their cozy little home. It was a needless, tragic heartbreak from just a moment of vain self-centeredness. Please don’t give history a chance to repeat itself. 

I'll wait for the leaves to finish dropping and see if our son will come and do the house? 

• Thanks 1

So you know you are getting old when your kid is in a heated battle with the kid down the block about "Who's dad is older".  Kid down the block says his dad is 46, mine says (proudly, of course) "My dad is 150!  I was 42 at the time, probably only looked like 84. 

• Haha 2