Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

6 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I remember all that, and I also remember the A-Bomb drills, getting under our desk -- as if that would help.

Notes ♫

Yep. They made us "duck and cover" under the desks. I went to Catholic school and the nuns would tell us: "If the Communists attack and tell you to take a crucifix off of the wall and step on it, don't do it. Make them shoot you, instead." 

• Sad 1

gearbasher,

We knew about the " duck and cover" drills here in Canada, but they were never conducted in our schools.

I always knew they were useless and a waste of time because if hiding under a desk could save someone from the blast and radiation effects of a nuclear weapon, members of the American military would have had school desks strapped to their bodies for protection in battle, in case the Russians decided to use them.

RBSinTo 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

gearbasher,

We knew about the " duck and cover" drills here in Canada, but they were never conducted in our schools.

I always knew they were useless and a waste of time because if hiding under a desk could save someone from the blast and radiation effects of a nuclear weapon, members of the American military would have had school desks strapped to their bodies for protection in battle, in case the Russians decided to use them.

RBSinTo 

lol,  I can remember doing that drill in the 1st grade, 1966. hiding under the desk.

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

lol,  I can remember doing that drill in the 1st grade, 1966. hiding under the desk.

In 1966?  Cripes, by that time my school district quit having those drills. All we had were the occasional fire drills.   But 1966 was my first year of high school, and the new high school building(as "new" as 1961) was constructed with a lower level fallout shelter and the walls were plastered with posters instructing us how to get to it, if the need ever arised. 

But yeah, I remember the "duck and cover" under the desk drills we had in grade school.  We also had another drill for tornadoes should one ever come along.  They called for us to go out to the hall and(since the school was built in 1918 there were no lockers an those walls)  crouch down under where our coats or jackets were hanging down where the floor met the wall.  

But I don't think a tornado would have done much if any serious damage to this building....

0e5e5f2562d03c3a9d3cb84d3ae271f0.jpg

Goodell elementary school, Lincoln Park, MI....  Looks to be around the later '40's.

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

In 1966?  Cripes, by that time my school district quit having those drills. All we had were the occasional fire drills.   But 1966 was my first year of high school, and the new high school building(as "new" as 1961) was constructed with a lower level fallout shelter and the walls were plastered with posters instructing us how to get to it, if the need ever arised. 

But yeah, I remember the "duck and cover" under the desk drills we had in grade school.  We also had another drill for tornadoes should one ever come along.  They called for us to go out to the hall and(since the school was built in 1918 there were no lockers an those walls)  crouch down under where our coats or jackets were hanging down where the floor met the wall.  

But I don't think a tornado would have done much if any serious damage to this building....

0e5e5f2562d03c3a9d3cb84d3ae271f0.jpg

Goodell elementary school, Lincoln Park, MI....  Looks to be around the later '40's.

Whitefang

Whitefang,

Did you see the photos I re-sent you this morning?

RBSinTo

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

...you remember when hockey goalies played without face masks, (as I did in 1961, the year I first started playing goal), and wore pads and gloves made of leather, and none of that leather was coloured to match team colours.

RBSinTo

Did y'all throw down back then? Or was it half way civil?

Saturday morning waiting for the Buffalo TV channels to come on-air at 8:00 am. and then watching  "Capt. Midnight", "Tales of Texas Rangers", "Wild Bill Hickock", The Lone Ranger", "Tom Terrific", "Space Rangers", "Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, just to name a few of the programs that quickly came to mind.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

There has always been fighting in hockey, and it is a part of the game that I completely disagree with.

If it was up to me, pro hockey would have the same policy as college hockey: fight and you're out, and the policy for repeat offenders would be draconian. Lengthly suspensions, and enormous fines.

I have been playing continuously since about 1958, and have been in one fight in all that time. And for the most part I would say that most players aren't interested in fighting, so yes, hockey was civil when I played as a young boy, and taking into account that it is a very-high speed, continuous action, bodily contact sport is quite civil today as well.

RBSinTo

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It was a bit more 'intense" in Miami during The Cuban Missile Crisis. 

If that escalated, we Floridians would be in bad shape.

I remember, before FIdel, when Havana was a great vacation spot.

A friend of mine had a Pink T-Bird convertible that was sold to him as formerly belonged to Batitista's daughter

I remember gigging in bars with ads on the walls, "Mixed drinks 35¢, top shelf 45¢."  I was underage at the time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gearbasher said:

"Wild Kingdom" where Stan Brock did all the dirty jobs and Marlin Perkins got all the glory.

We had a local "outdoors" type show("Michigan Outdoors") hosted by a guy named Mort Neff.  And a sort of travelogue type show where erstwhile nature film makers would show their 16mm travel films hosted by a guy named George Pierott.

17 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

There WAS the "Gordie Howe hat trick" which was a goal, an assist and a fight.  [wink]  And Terry Sawchuk  was the first goalie I ever saw wear a face mask.

15 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Saturday morning waiting for the Buffalo TV channels to come on-air at 8:00 am. and then watching  "Capt. Midnight", "Tales of Texas Rangers", "Wild Bill Hickock", The Lone Ranger", "Tom Teriffic", "Space Rangers", "Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, just to name a few programs that quickly came to mind.

RBSinTo

"Tom Terrific" was seen on "Captain Kangaroo" regularly.  Along with  CRUSADER RABBIT

3c7310ca888aed2ad1a2ce377dc69d0f--animat

And......    COLONEL BLEEP!

colonel-bleep-1f332a08-71d3-4227-addb-d9

Remember this intro....?

Whitefang

30 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

".....There WAS the "Gordie Howe hat trick" which was a goal, an assist and a fight.  [wink]  And Terry Sawchuk  was the first goalie I ever saw wear a face mask..."

Whitefang                                                                                         

Whitefang,

The first NHL goalie to wear a facemask was Clint Benedict, in 1930, while playing for the Montreal Maroons.

It was made from leather, and worn to protect a broken nose. Once the nose healed, he discarded the mask and played the remainder of his career without one.

In the modern era, the use of face masks began with Jacques Plante, who played for the Montreal Canadiens. He had been experimenting with fibreglass masks for a few years and wore them in practices.

On November 1, 1959, he was hit in the face by a shot from Andy Bathgate of the New York Rangers. After being stitched up, he refused to return to the ice until his coach permitted him to don the mask. He played one other game later without it, (which he lost), and never played without it again.

Terry Sawchuk, then of the Detroit Red Wings, first wore a mask on October 11, 1962, which was a year later than I began wearing one.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Found an episode of Sky King a couple days ago. Damn!  It was first aired in July, 1955.  I had just turned 8-years-old.  I thought his niece in the show (Penny) was hot, but I had no idea what “hot” meant.

MissouriPicker,

And he flew a twin-engined craft called "the Songbird".

RBSinTo

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Found an episode of Sky King a couple days ago. Damn!  It was first aired in July, 1955.  I had just turned 8-years-old.  I thought his niece in the show (Penny) was hot, but I had no idea what “hot” meant.

'"Writing fan letters to Sky's niece, Penny" - Jimmy Buffett

When you remember, nobody either sold or drank bottled water. Water fountains were everywhere, and a garden hose would do just fine.

• Like 1