Gibson Brands Forums

The rest of the story-J50

rbpicker

After returning the J50 that didn’t work, I stopped by my local small shop, who had just received a shipment from Gibson.  In that group was an ebony J50.  I thought I’d check the neck shape to see if they were all the same.  Well, being a hand carved neck, they’re not all the same.

The ebony one was a deep carve like the natural, but with less fullness on the shoulders, or cheeks, of the neck.  It fit my hand like a glove.  I had a Martin that wasn’t getting much play time, so I took it in and we came to an agreeable swap deal.  

the J50 is a great guitar, with a bigger sound than my J45.  Maybe it’s the neck mass, maybe it’s something else-but I’m pretty sure it’s not my imagination.  I did a recording of the two side by side and there is a significant difference, even though the J50 is new.  When it starts to loosen up, I’m guessing it will expand tonally, even more.

Anyway, just wanted to put a cap on the story of the hunt.  I’ve never had a black guitar, so this will add some spice to my small collection, now half Gibson, half Guild.  I’ll try to post a song when I get some time.

Roger

1 minute ago, rbpicker said:

After returning the J50 that didn’t work, I stopped by my local small shop, who had just received a shipment from Gibson.  In that group was an ebony J50.  I thought I’d check the neck shape to see if they were all the same.  Well, being a hand carved neck, they’re not all the same.

The ebony one was a deep carve like the natural, but with less fullness on the shoulders, or cheeks, of the neck.  It fit my hand like a glove.  I had a Martin that wasn’t getting much play time, so I took it in and we came to an agreeable swap deal.  

the J50 is a great guitar, with a bigger sound than my J45.  Maybe it’s the neck mass, maybe it’s something else-but I’m pretty sure it’s not my imagination.  I did a recording of the two side by side and there is a significant difference, even though the J50 is new.  When it starts to loosen up, I’m guessing it will expand tonally, even more.

Anyway, just wanted to put a cap on the story of the hunt.  I’ve never had a black guitar, so this will add some spice to my small collection, now half Gibson, half Guild.  I’ll try to post a song when I get some time.

Roger

Cool it worked out. What did you trade the 000-28? That is the guitar I own I would run into the house if it was on fire to grab. 

I traded a 00018.  That’s supposed to be a stellar guitar, but I never bonded with the sound.  Playability was great, very comfortable, but it always sounded kind of mushy or muffled to my ears.  Even after trying a variety of strings, pins, saddles, etc.  

The guy at the store loved it and it will likely sell in a day or two, but it didn’t work for me as much as I wanted it to.  

I’ve heard good  things about the 000-28, Sgt. Pepper.  Great  that you love it.  
Roger

Edited by rbpicker

I'm a Martin player, and I've found that the extra 1/4" body depth on the 018,028 Standard Series makes a positive tonal depth difference, compared to the 4" depth of 00 and 000 body.  The J certainly removes that dynamic.

To my ears the deeper the body the better and deeper the tone. I know that's a monster of a generalization, but every time I have compared studio vs standard models, the standard model sounds better hands down - acoustically. 

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

I traded a 00018.  That’s supposed to be a stellar guitar, but I never bonded with the sound.  Playability was great, very comfortable, but it always sounded kind of mushy or muffled to my ears.  Even after trying a variety of strings, pins, saddles, etc.  

The guy at the store loved it and it will likely sell in a day or two, but it didn’t work for me as much as I wanted it to.  

I’ve heard good  things about the 000-28, Sgt. Pepper.  Great  that you love it.  
Roger

I'm selling my 000-18 right now, not because of the reasons you mention. I want to fund a M-36. If it doesn't sell, I'll be okay as it is a great guitar and I have no issues with it. Sounds like its a win win for you and the store. Most USA made acoustics guitars do not last long in stores anymore. The sub $500 c-rap sits there a while.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

To my ears the deeper the body the better and deeper the tone. I know that's a monster of a generalization, but every time I have compared studio vs standard models, the standard model sounds better hands down - acoustically. 

Then you need to get your hands on a Roy Smeck.  If there is a guitar out there which has earned the title the "grand piano of acoustics" it is a Smeck.

10 hours ago, Boyd said:

AFAIK, the black ones are J-45's and not J-50's, Just look at Gibson's own site. If you look at the J-50 links, the only color offered is Antique Natural. Does the label actually say J-50?

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitars/Collection/Original Acoustic

STOP THE CAMERAS, HOLD THE FORT, CEASE AND DESIST!!!!!!!   I checked the label…IT DOES SAY 50s J45.   I’ll be damned, son of a gun, what the heck, holy smokes!!!!,!   Well I’ll be darned, OK, I have another J45.  
I find this pretty amusing, if only slightly embarrassing.   I was certain it was a 50, and the dealer referred to it as a J50.  I didn’t even look at the label.

in the end, I really don’t care.  It’s got the large pickguard, and the beefier 50s neck shape (although not as chunky as the natural J50 I sent back.).   I love it whatever the heck it is.

Thanks Boyd,  I think I’ll just go to bed.

Roger

Edited by rbpicker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Hey, hey congrats!  And I do think the chunkier neck impact the sound like you and others have suggested.

Can't wait to see a picture!

I feel another bout of guitar weenieness  coming on.  If neck stiffness and mass figure in to where they make an appreciable difference on a guitar tuned to pitch then Martin got it right the first time when they went with the T-Bar neck while Gibson traded neck stiffness for convenience with their adj truss rod.    In terms of mass then Gibson nailed it when they went with the un-tapered headstock in the early-1950s.  Me, I do like necks where baby got some back.  But if the neck was at the top of my list of things to ponder the Bozeman-made guitar I would be heading out the door to check first would be the '34 OJ.  Baby do got some back.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If neck stiffness and mass figure in to where they make an appreciable difference on a guitar tuned to pitch then Martin got it right the first time when they went with the T-Bar neck while Gibson traded neck stiffness for convenience with their adj truss rod.  

One one thing I will say I hate about that company in Nazareth is the way you adjust the TR. I always have. I hate sticking an Allen (Hex) wrench in the sound hole and then in another hole to poke around to find the female mate to the Allen wrench. 

So is a J-50 just a natty finished J-45. And if so, the fact that it is painted makes it a new model even though it may have the exact same specs minus paint?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/13/2022 at 10:05 AM, rbpicker said:

STOP THE CAMERAS, HOLD THE FORT, CEASE AND DESIST!!!!!!!   I checked the label…IT DOES SAY 50s J45.   I’ll be damned, son of a gun, what the heck, holy smokes!!!!,!   Well I’ll be darned, OK, I have another J45.  
I find this pretty amusing, if only slightly embarrassing.   I was certain it was a 50, and the dealer referred to it as a J50.  I didn’t even look at the label.

in the end, I really don’t care.  It’s got the large pickguard, and the beefier 50s neck shape (although not as chunky as the natural J50 I sent back.).   I love it whatever the heck it is.

Thanks Boyd,  I think I’ll just go to bed.

Roger

Congrats!

Maybe Gibson should call the black one an Elvis to go with their new black Elvis models? The Elvis 45 or the E-45?

Or maybe the X - something like the radar proof jets? X-45? 

BluesKing777.

5 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Congrats!

Maybe Gibson should call the black one an Elvis to go with their new black Elvis models? The Elvis 45 or the E-45?

Or maybe the X - something like the radar proof jets? X-45? 

BluesKing777.

Thanks  all, this is a sweet example.  I’ve pretty much got it dialed in and set up to my liking.  Usually takes a few days of adjusting, tinkering, etc.

Bluesking, I told my wife just today that I’m naming the guitar Elvis.

Does anyone know to resize iPhone pictures?  Mine come out too large for this forum.  Not sure why.

Roger

3 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Thanks  all, this is a sweet example.  I’ve pretty much got it dialed in and set up to my liking.  Usually takes a few days of adjusting, tinkering, etc.

Does anyone know to resize iPhone pictures?  Mine come out too large for this forum.  Not sure why.

Roger

I send my iphone pictures to Flicker the link it to the post.

3 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Roger

Cool!

May your sideburns grow long and your collar high!😁

Photos - I load mine to my laptop, save as a smaller size as I do it, then load that to Imgur photo host site. (then copy the link they give you for each photo to the forum...

BluesKing777.

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

May your sideburns grow long and your collar high!😁

I went and saw the new Elvis movie yesterday.

Only Tom Hanks could make the Colonel almost likable...

I said, almost.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So is a J-50 just a natty finished J-45. And if so, the fact that it is painted makes it a new model even though it may have the exact same specs minus paint?

Looks like we have a new J45 to add to the list started by One Wiley Fool - of the 50 some odd sub-models of the J45.   The J50 version ! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Congrats Roger!  I’m saving my nickels for a sunburst J-50. 🙂

Oooh, Oooh, Oooh.  I know the answer to that one which is you would need to save up 20,000 nickels. Based on the FON, my guitar started life as a J50 but when somebody down the line caught onto the fact that one of book matched top pieces had been accidentally flip flopped they decided to shoot a burst over it to try and hide the mistake,  So bingo, a burst J50 or what I refer to as a J47.5.