Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Lots of people want to be a Tic Tock star today, and think if they post some ridiculous video of them complaining that Five-Bucks didn't make their Mocha Latte Carmel No Foam Crap-uccino correctly they think other people in the world care. Some might, I do not give a rats arse. 

Facebook, Tic Tock, Twitter are at least three of the things that simply causing far more problems than they will ever solve.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kidblast said:

100% with ya on Hockey

I will watch almost any 2 teams go at it.  Coming from Bruins Country, it's definitely a thing here.  Not like Canada, but probably a good runner up.  

I remember  the game my Dad took me to a Bruins / Red Wings game,   we got there early and wandered down to the boards,   skating right by me during warm ups, Gordie Howe,...   The respect that guy got from everyone was pretty uncanny.  

the other game I remember vividly was when The Esposito's played each other (Black Hawks and Bruins)  The B's were SHELLING Tony that night, Phil skated by and said something that just lit Tony's rockets,  he tossed of his gloves and mask and tackled his brother at about the Hawk's blue line..   That was enough to empty the benches.  The old garden crowd went beserk!

Good times!

I love Hockey. Been to the Hall Of Fame twice. I'm a SJ Sharks fan. When I lived Newport News, there was a minor league team called the Admirals who skated in Norfolk. The closest team to me now is in Charlotte, NC, about 3 hours away. 

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

Facebook, Tic Tock, Twitter are at least three of the things that simply causing far more problems than they will ever solve.

That is like the old saying, 3 chords and the truth. I have never nor will I ever be on any of those joke media platforms. Its probably bad enough I'm on this one.

• Thanks 1

@Sgt. Pepper with you about the social media stuff...  I don't think it's as bad as it could be here - definitely not as bad as the "main" ones... 

Regarding hockey, glad you're a fan!  I think playoff hockey is the most exciting/stressful thing to experience.  Hoping to have that happen again some day for the RWs. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The difference is today almost everyone in the world has a device in their hands that gives them the ability to make and post a video, or type words on a blog, or post to a forum.  Back in the old days you had to march, or riot, or have a sit-in to make a statement and then maybe a TV or radio station would report on it.

But people being offended by something is certainly not new as Murph stated.

While at the same time, decent, civilized conversation has gone the way of the dodo bird.  There was a time when you did not talk about politics, salary, or religion, to people you barely knew.  The internet put an end to those conventions.  It goes both ways.

rct

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rct said:

While at the same time, decent, civilized conversation has gone the way of the dodo bird.  There was a time when you did not talk about politics, salary, or religion, to people you barely knew. 

A time of manners.

And class.

Couth.

And the lack of those things now reveals itself everywhere.

Movies, art, culture and especially music.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The difference is today almost everyone in the world has a device in their hands that gives them the ability to make and post a video, or type words on a blog, or post to a forum.  Back in the old days you had to march, or riot, or have a sit-in to make a statement and then maybe a TV or radio station would report on it.

But people being offended by something is certainly not new as Murph stated.

Good point.  Before  the Internet -  not only did kids stay out playing until the street lights came on, but when they grew up, if they really cared about something - they'd have a sit in in the Dean's Office knowing they could get arrested.  Now - they threaten to expose the college's transgressions on the internet and the Dean caves the next day.  

And,  back then - Election Day was actually a DAY, not a month.  If you really cared about something - you woke up early to stand in line in the rain with a cold, so you could get to work on time. Or went out at lunch, or after work.   Today, you get a ballot in the mail and an activist employed by some fringe group comes by to harvest it.   

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Good point.  Before  the Internet -  not only did kids stay out playing until the street lights came on, but when they grew up, if they really cared about something - they'd have a sit in in the Dean's Office knowing they could get arrested.  Now - they threaten to expose the college's transgressions on the internet and the Dean caves the next day.  

And,  back then - Election Day was actually a DAY, not a month.  If you really cared about something - you woke up early to stand in line in the rain with a cold, so you could get to work on time. Or went out at lunch, or after work.   Today, you get a ballot in the mail and an activist employed by some fringe group comes by to harvest it.   

I drank water from the garden hose and I am still alive to talk about it.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

You're assuming the person "harvesting" the mail in vote is an "activist".  You sound as if you took a HUGE gulp of that Kool-aid 

Since I already knew who my picks were, I already filled out my absentee ballot.  But will wait until a few days before election day to drop it off.  Physical impairments forced me to start using absentee ballots since the Bush-Kerry election year.  My wife required them before that.  

22 hours ago, rct said:

While at the same time, decent, civilized conversation has gone the way of the dodo bird.  There was a time when you did not talk about politics, salary, or religion, to people you barely knew.  The internet put an end to those conventions.  It goes both ways.

rct

Really ANY conversation has gone the way of the Dodo.   People now gather in one room and sit around nosediving into their phones.  God forbid they should somehow accidentally make eye contact! Or actually TALK to anyone sitting near them. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

You're assuming the person "harvesting" the mail in vote is an "activist".  You sound as if you took a HUGE gulp of that Kool-aid 

Since I already knew who my picks were, I already filled out my absentee ballot.  But will wait until a few days before election day to drop it off.  Physical impairments forced me to start using absentee ballots since the Bush-Kerry election year.  My wife required them before that.  

Really ANY conversation has gone the way of the Dodo.   People now gather in one room and sit around nosediving into their phones.  God forbid they should somehow accidentally make eye contact! Or actually TALK to anyone sitting near them. 

Whitefang

I’d rather spend time with my dog.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Playing a record, or re-winding a cassette, multiple times to try to figure out the words to a song.

The words and the notes. Trying to transcribe the melody and write it down one inch at a time...  But a great sense of accomplishment when you were done!  

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When there were no warnings on cigarette packs.

Yes and -

Menthol cigarettes (banned in EU and UK now)...Consulate!

Pipe tobacco (I used to enjoy a good shag)

Cigarettes (fags, tailor-mades) without filters - Players Navy Cut (my 20+ -a-day Dad's poison), Senior Service,  many more)

A Café Creme cigar (or similar) with coffee, brandy and chocolates after dinner, still sitting at the table.   I may even  have  loosened my tie!

Disclaimer - I gave up tobaccos  in 2013 and am NOT advocating their consumption or usage.  

Edited by jdgm

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wood burning kits.   Those metal shoes with huge springs on the soles.   Crystal radios.   

Do they actually still make chemistry sets for kids?

Whitefang

They have kits to figure out which of the 102 genders you are.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Going to the record store to buy a record the day it came out. You didn’t pre order it and have it delivered.

Good call...[thumbup]

LP records were and are the source for me.  Everything else too starting with 45s but LPs forever by far the most important to me, even with CDs.

We used to love USA imports over here (UK).

Edited by jdgm

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Going to the record store to buy a record the day it came out. You didn’t pre order it and have it delivered.

I know   we had to walk up hill there and back too

in the snow..

with wonder bags over our sneakers....

• Haha 1