Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne with a Gibson and Billy Strings - Running on Empty

Dave F

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Billy is bringing a lot of young people into bluegrass and acoustic music.

That's a good thing.

Indeed he is. Strings is one of those guys I have mixed feelings about. He is undoubtedly a once-in-a-generation talent. But sometimes, his playing is too ornamented for my tastes. Just because you can play a jillion notes doesn’t mean you should. At least that’s how I feel.

That said, when he pays homage to Doc Watson, Tony Rice or Clarence White or even classic bluegrass, there is none better right now and his playing is sharp and focused. The guy is the Larry Bird of the fretboard. He sees plays others don’t.

Browne seems to be in standard tuning, which is pretty rare for him, no?

Edited by dhanners623

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Nope.

Doesn't hold a candle to the original "Running on Empty", which to my mind is the greatest, most exciting live-recorded rock and roll song ever.

RBSinTo

That album was Jax's peak. My fav album is Late For Sky, followed by Running. I have the CD/DVD of Running On Empty. I think I got it at Wally World for $5. It was one of those one with a hole drilled into it. The DVD is the whole CD with better audio, and its mixed in 5.1 SS if you got the gear. Running On Empty is a bit longer due to there is about 25 seconds of stage noise and right before the song starts you hear Jax sing the first line of the song to the band to cue them in, and then it starts like normal on the album. There are two extra songs on the DVD.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Indeed he is. Strings is one of those guys I have mixed feelings about. He is undoubtedly a once-in-a-generation talent. But sometimes, his playing is too ornamented for my tastes. Just because you can play a jillion notes doesn’t mean you should. At least that’s how I feel.

That said, when he pays homage to Doc Watson, Tony Rice or Clarence White or even classic bluegrass, there is none better right now and his playing is sharp and focused. The guy is the Larry Bird of the fretboard. He sees plays others don’t.

Browne seems to be in standard tuning, which is pretty rare for him, no?

"A jillion notes" puts me in mind of Tommy Emmanuel - sometimes music becomes pyrotechnics.

4 hours ago, duluthdan said:

JB playing an old LG2. Makes me wonder where all the 12 fret Jackson Browne models have gone? Sorta wish I still had mine. 

It's his 1946 LG-2. A lovely guitar that I played while traveling with Jackson and band for my Fretboard Journal cover story:

FJ_22_large.jpg?v=1527181288

The Smeck in his guitar stand in the video looks like the one on the FJ cover. It's his "Number 1" Smeck, a glorious guitar that I also had the privilege of playing.

As for Mr. Strings, I'm a fan. He does not always play "a jillion" notes. He's as tasteful and talented a flatpicker as lives.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, Murph said:

He's maturing.

He's been told how good he is since childhood.

Kinda like Chris Thile.

For those interested, NYT did a nice piece on Billy next year.  It’s pretty clear the guy made it in spite of his childhood and not because of it.  It’s a miracle he’s alive, let alone a big star.  He’s a hero.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/arts/music/billy-strings-renewal.html 

I think Shakespeare got a little too flamboyantly pyrotechnical too.  And then there's Picasso.   I'm guessing Billy Strings is at the point in his career where he plays to have fun, not impress.  (That is the ONLY thing I have in common with him! That and being 21 in '69)) .   Well, maybe he sticks in an extra bluegrass  lick to impress Molly now and then after all. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

31 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I read in the Lounge where Sarge got kicked off again. Just when I was getting used to him. I wonder if he'll reincarnate himself with a new username.

Sarge, if you're reading this, take care of yourself and keep enjoying life.

I hardly think he requires encouragement.