Gibson Brands Forums

would you trade in a Usa standard for a Murphy custom ultra light aged ?

marco mancini

Hello there  American brothers   

i need your advice  for a choice that i'm about to make  but i still don't know well  whether  it's worthwhile  as far as the construction quality   ,how the guitar gets the final check and who  assembled  the guitars , is there  so much  difference  to justify the money spent ? 

https://ibb.co/n1yC81y

https://ibb.co/Lt0kwVZ

thanks to everybody 

In the open marketplace a Murphy aged LP Custom costs several thousand dollars more than a LP Standard.  Personally, I am not a fan of "aged" guitars and wouldn't pay more for one.  What is important is how they feel and sound.  Can you play both of them and compare the two?  If the aged one feels and sounds much better than the Standard then it might be worth it to you to make the switch, but that is a personal decision only you can make.

6 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

In the open marketplace a Murphy aged LP Custom costs several thousand dollars more than a LP Standard.  Personally, I am not a fan of "aged" guitars and wouldn't pay more for one.  What is important is how they feel and sound.  Can you play both of them and compare the two?  If the aged one feels and sounds much better than the Standard then it might be worth it to you to make the switch, but that is a personal decision only you can make.

Well i don't know if it is worthwhile  to trade in my Usa Standard   which they value at 1600 euros   and  pick up an ultra light aged custom adding 3.699 euros  ,  i feel that  are  wasted money  in fact  i will not doing it , i will keep my Usa Standard for sure 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its your money. If you gotta have it and have the cash then do the deed. 

Dear Pepper

my problem is whether  the 3500 euros that I would have to add is justified ,...... I mean in terms of construction techniques, woods, and people who assembly the guitars , for example my Luthier told me that the custom shop guitars are put together by in professional luthiers whereas the USA production is more industrial kind of one ,is that the case?

Cheerio

3 hours ago, marco mancini said:

Dear Pepper

my problem is whether  the 3500 euros that I would have to add is justified ,...... I mean in terms of construction techniques, woods, and people who assembly the guitars , for example my Luthier told me that the custom shop guitars are put together by in professional luthiers whereas the USA production is more industrial kind of one ,is that the case?

Cheerio

No clue. Those others putting Gibsons together are pros too, cause they get paid to do it.

23 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Which one sounds better? That would decide it for me.

Rudi its always go with looks, and we all know that, stop with the logic. Then of course there is the huge price difference. One is worth maybe over 2.5 k and one is over 6+k (I think that is what the Muprh aged ones are going for).

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Rudi its always go with looks, and we all know that, stop with the logic. Then of course there is the huge price difference. One is worth maybe over 2.5 k and one is over 6+k (I think that is what the Muprh aged ones are going for).

Yes, aesthetics are the downfall of all of us.

I made a bid for credibility. I do that sometimes. 

As an owner of a Custom Shop LP myself, my opinion is that you are dealing with diminishing returns here. It’s hard to say whether it’s worth the money or not because that depends on your budget and opinion of the individual instruments in question. You sorta have to answer that part yourself. 

What I can say for sure is that spending 3x the amount of money does not get you a guitar that’s 3x better than a Les Paul Standard. A Custom Shop Gibson will only be marginally “better” than a Gibson USA equivalent (if at all). 

I can fairly say that my Custom Shop LP blows away all of my other guitars in all aspects (including price 😲). The electronics, fretwork, wood, finish, you name it.. it’s all as good as you can possibly get. Not 3x better, but a Gibson USA is already an excellent guitar, any Custom Shop improvements will naturally be relatively small.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

since you've asked.   

those "Murphy Labs" models (this is just my opinion) are insanely overpriced.

Before PC policing was a thing, there was a  decades old tradition of Irish jokes in the uk. I cant remove the stereotype from my head that that 'Murphy' is a clod. So when I hear or read 'Murphy Labs' I envision a clod in a white lab coat holding a bit of sandpaper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, merciful-evans said:

I envision a clod in a white lab coat holding a bit of sandpaper. 

Not too far off from reality - but you have to hand it to the guy, he's convinced a lot of people that what he does requires a huge amount of skill and finesse.  Personally I don't buy it, or the guitars either.

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Not too far off from reality - but you have to hand it to the guy, he's convinced a lot of people that what he does requires a huge amount of skill and finesse.  Personally I don't buy it, or the guitars either.

It takes skill to take an icepick to a guitar, and drag it behind a car for a mile on a rope. You don't just learn these things over night.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, merciful-evans said:

Before PC policing was a thing, there was a  decades old tradition of Irish jokes in the uk. I cant remove the stereotype from my head that that 'Murphy' is a clod. So when I hear or read 'Murphy Labs' I envision a clod in a white lab coat holding a bit of sandpaper. 

and a hammer and a length of chain...  they call it "distressing!"

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men_Don't_Eat_Quiche

It's a quick read and is really funny.

Last I checked Quiche is just a fancy name for egg pie. Cause that is what it is. Eggs cooked in a pie crust with usually a meat and or vegetables in it. I like pie and I like eggs. I make quiche from scratch minus the crust cause I don’t like making pie dough. I guess now I’m gonna have to sit to pee.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 3 weeks later...

I love your Les Paul Custom.  I would keep that bad boy.  I am not fond of the Murphy guitars.  I feel a Gibson is a work of art and there shouldn't be any dings or scratches on them.  Gibson guitars are so pretty to look at and they sound fantastic!  If someone was to give me a Murphy lightly relic Les Paul Lemon Burst.  I would take it in a heart beat.  I just can not afford the pricing on those guitars, so I have to tell myself not to like them.