Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Albert Lee

Tman

My wife called me a few weeks ago and asked if I'd heard of Albert Lee to which I replied of course. He will be playing at The Canyon. The Canyon Club is a small venue 6 miles from our house and a mile from her office and they don't really advertise but very often get great acts. Farns, it is next door to where we had that great Mexican meal. The Foo Fighters play there, John Hiatt, and a bunch of 70's bands that used to be really famous. She said isn't he the British guy that plays the fat Gibson (335) that you like? That's another A. Lee. She asked for the names of his biggest hits and I couldn't name any embarrassingly so we listened to his music for the last couple of weeks and went to see him last night. He was phenomenal. His chops are amazing. He played a red Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee signature of course. 

We walked in and his bass player was Dave Chamberlain who played bass on the only album I have ever played on! We were floored.  After the gig we saw people going back stage so we asked the bouncer if it was ok to say hi to Dave the bass player and he said Sure, go say hi to Albert too, he likes it. What a friendly guy. Turns out he lives about a mile from us. Great night. I'm the grey headed guy next to Albert.

YSleT25.jpg

• Like 6

You're really lucky to live within 'a day trip' of such a great 'intimate' venue.   We have one here that use to be - but it's tripled in size and now is a bit too ....  crazy.   Or maybe I've gotten three times older than when I enjoyed having beer spilled on me,  etc.  People are super nice and friendly though.   I don't think any of the top draws live close by - they arrive in their tour busses. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Mr. Lee was gonna play a small club in Richmond VA, then you know what hit the world like a steam roller. Wishbone Ash was gonna play there too. 

I saw him about two weeks before the shutdown. I was supposed to see Tommy E the day the shutdown happened.

14 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I saw him about two weeks before the shutdown. I was supposed to see Tommy E the day the shutdown happened.

My last show was Elvis Costello in November of '19. Then no shows for a long while. I still see people making up, even in SC. If they do mask up they are older people or they are mostly out of towners. South Cackalacians do not follow rules, or do what is good for them. My favorites are when they wear a mask over their mouth but under the nose. Hey, don't most of us breath through our nose a good portion of the time? One sneeze in your direction and possibly welcome to a swab up your nose.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My last show was Elvis Costello in November of '19. Then no shows for a long while. I still see people making up, even in SC. If they do mask up they are older people or they are mostly out of towners. South Cackalacians do not follow rules, or do what is good for them. My favorites are when they wear a mask over their mouth but under the nose. Hey, don't most of us breath through our nose a good portion of the time?

I like the ones driving in their car by themself and masked up.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dave F said:

I like the ones driving in their car by themself and masked up.

I know you don't want to be sick and then give it back to yourself. 

Now back to music. I need to listen to the first Albert Lee album. Haven't heard it in a while.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper