Gibson Brands Forums

Marketing Gone Mad

SteveFord

10 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

One of life's mysteries is the concept of the "free gift".

More marketing bull$hit. 

When was the last time anyone gave you a gift that wasn't free?

Aren't all gifts "free" by definition?

RBSinTo

Yes its like things that always cost one penny or pound less.  Like 2999k for  a Gibson.. We all know that effectively means 3000k yet its done to appear cheaper than it is..  Its so pathetic..  Even though I am sure it works.. Its that kind of stuff that I am kind of sick of. The illusion of good.. I know, its marketing, thats how they do things.. But its just so boring, and obvious.

20 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yes its like things that always cost one penny or pound less.  Like 2999k for  a Gibson.. We all know that effectively means 3000k yet its done to appear cheaper than it is..  Its so pathetic..  Even though I am sure it works.. Its that kind of stuff that I am kind of sick of. The illusion of good.. I know, its marketing, thats how they do things.. But its just so boring, and obvious.

For some price is irrelevant. It’s that G name on the headstock that matters. We all know there are those out there like that. 

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Woke" ness can be applied to a dozen different social and political movements.  Not sure where you got the 'racial inequities' one from.      Appreciate the deflection though.  As always. 

Y'all confuse annoying people with winning your argument.  The whole lot of you.  😄

Does being Woke mean that when you were Unwoke, you thought slavery and racism and homophobia was okay, but now your Woke and you were informed those are really not okay, and now you know better, so now in your mind your a better person? Look everyone doesn’t like someone or something, so I’ll call BS if you say otherwise. Who here loves Putin and thinks he’s a great guy?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It's kind of a toss up between the $500 sweater

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GABR-1103-1693/Prairie-Sand-Billy-Reid

or a $250 piece of wood to hang my guitar on

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/ASTD-WN/Handcrafted-Walnut-Guitar-Stand

I hate making purchasing decisions, I'll just get both.  I can hang the sweater on the piece of wood.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

For some price is irrelevant. It’s that G name on the headstock that matters. We all know there are those out there like that. 

There are players who buy cheap Chibsons knowing they are fake. He  cares only what other people think.

There are others who spend 2k + on boutique guitar brands that few people will know of. He doesn't give a sh1t what anyone thinks.

6 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

There are players who buy cheap Chibsons knowing they are fake. He  cares only what other people think.

There are others who spend 2k + on boutique guitar brands that few people will know of. He doesn't give a sh1t what anyone thinks.

If I could afford a Preston Thompson I’d buy one. Best guitar I ever touched. 

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I see what you mean. It took a few tries to find any price at all. 000-12 at $8.7k

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/c245/Preston_Thompson_.html

I played their equivalent to Martin’s D-18 it was 5k. They ain’t cheap that’s for sure. One strum and it was heaven. I played a Collings and a Bourgeois too that day. All three blew any G or M acoustic I ever played away.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:30 AM, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

One of life's mysteries is the concept of the "free gift".

More marketing bull$hit. 

When was the last time anyone gave you a gift that wasn't free?

Aren't all gifts "free" by definition?

RBSinTo

I've received all manner of junk(and not so "junk") in the mail in envelopes marked, "Free gift inside".  Several pounds of address labels, And so far a dozen and a half 2023 calendars.  Dream catchers, key chains,   rosaries,  calculators,  Enough ball point ink pens to supply a high school,  two tote bags full of tote bags.  All within the last four years.  Some I use(like the ink pens)  And some I've donated(like the rosaries to a nearby nursing home).  I tell folks that I get all this stuff in envelopes with "free gift inside" on the envelope.  I know they're hoping they'll guilt me into sending them money, but if I do that, the "gift" is no longer "free".  So I'm keeping them honest.  [wink]

Whitefang

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It's kind of a toss up between the $500 sweater

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GABR-1103-1693/Prairie-Sand-Billy-Reid

or a $250 piece of wood to hang my guitar on

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/ASTD-WN/Handcrafted-Walnut-Guitar-Stand

I hate making purchasing decisions, I'll just get both.  I can hang the sweater on the piece of wood.

You buying that sweater for your new sweetheart? What if she a closet Seagull Guitar fan, and just poses that she likes Gibsons?

On 12/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, Rabs said:

That wallet is nothing compared to the bag

THE DUFFLE

This handcrafted, USA-made brown leather duffle bag uses premium full-grain leather and materials in a similar style as the iconic Lifton™ 5-Latch Cases used by Gibson in its Golden Era in the 1950s.

only $ 799

LiftonLeatherGoods_Duffle_BigImage1.png

That is sweet!!!!

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I see what you mean. It took a few tries to find any price at all. 000-12 at $8.7k

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/c245/Preston_Thompson_.html

For the price you'd think they could have put on some fret markers.

Correction: upon closer inspection they put in little, subtle ones.  Ohh la la, gimme two!

Edited by SteveFord

48 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

For the price you'd think they could have put on some fret markers.

Correction: upon closer inspection they put in little, subtle ones.  Ohh la la, gimme two!

You know how many condoms I could carry in that. Screw the wallet. I want the duffle.

Some thoughts pop to mind:

All marketing is lies.  (that one has saved me a ton of money)

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Opportunity cost:  everything you posess represents something foregone.

How many hours did I have to work to buy that thing?

Everyone has a different demand profile - we all have different tastes and resources.

All marketing is lies.  (that one has saved me a ton of money) : Not in Gibsons case. They change stuff every 5 mins and probably can't remember the last marketing blub they churned out. Gibson just stretches the truth.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Only when you buy a pre-abused aka relic'ed or aged guitars.

Opportunity cost:  everything you posess represents something foregone. Not if you steal it.

How many hours did I have to work to buy that thing? Once again, none if you steal it.

Everyone has a different demand profile - we all have different tastes and resources. That is true, but here the only peoples opinions who  matters are the ones who own and play Gibson's. The rest of us are just "trolls".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/12/2022 at 9:41 AM, Whitefang said:

Try this;

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke    [wink]

And feel free to pass it along to whichever Qanon  chapter you subscribe to.

Whitefang

Here's a definition of 'Woman'  for you in the Cambridge Dictionary.   Line 2 :

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/woman    

Like Dylan sung:  "You don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows."     You don't need a dictionary to tell you what the definition of some words is.  

36 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Like Dylan sung:  "You don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows."     You don't need a dictionary to tell you what the definition of some words is.  

You guys are like an army of staggering "kick me" signs, wandering with your heads down across some tundra somewhere in a line of people walking in a circle, repeating what they say on TV, over and over, in a continuous moan.  Trying to find somebody you can call a bunch of names while the rest of the world gets ready for the holidays.

Like Vance Tenderle sung, you don't have to be a trash collector to understand what these guys are thinking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Well, that was a nicely irrelevant deflection.  And BTW:

That's "Some words ARE".  Einstein.  And you DO need a dictionary to tell you what the definition of some words are when it's clear you don't really know.  [wink]  Helps keep you from appearing dumb or foolish.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, that was a nicely irrelevant deflection.  And BTW:

That's "Some words ARE".  Einstein.  And you DO need a dictionary to tell you what the definition of some words are when it's clear you don't really know.  [wink]  Helps keep you from appearing dumb or foolish.

Whitefang

You make it too easy WtF....   the verb is related to the subject -  which is singular "Definition".      What the definition is...  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

You guys are like an army of staggering "kick me" signs, wandering with your heads down across some tundra somewhere in a line of people walking in a circle, repeating what they say on TV, over and over, in a continuous moan.  Trying to find somebody you can call a bunch of names while the rest of the world gets ready for the holidays.

Like Vance Tenderle sung, you don't have to be a trash collector to understand what these guys are thinking.

I'm guessing you must have some kind of a switch set to alert you immediately whenever I post something.     

"trying to find someone you can call a bunch of names ....  you don't have to be a trash collector..."    I'll have to look up 'irony' in the dictionary.  

The conversation between WtF and I had to do with the accuracy of definitions in dictionaries.   do you have anything to contribute on that specifically, or just the usual ?  

Or, possibly just something on the original subject of marketing ?  

8 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

You make it too easy WtF....   the verb is related to the subject -  which is singular "Definition".      What the definition is...  

Nice try, but that dog won't hunt.  Properly should have used "word" instead of "words".  The fact still remains, your use of the word "wokies" in relation to the root word "woke" belies the true meaning of the often misused and misinterpreted word.  

Whitefang