Gibson Brands Forums

Marketing Gone Mad

SteveFord

18 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Unless it's a Martin guitar in a Gibson case, of course. 

If you put a M in a G case you deserve the s-hit you get for it. Your only a poser if you buy a 10k guitar, and don't play, and certainly if you just got it to impress your doctor or lawyer cronies, no matter what case you have.

WOW, is that the 11 k Murphy 1959 LP Standard Kinderd Burst Ultra Heavy Aged, you got. I'm getting one next week to impress Dr. Vinny Boombatz. We are just going to stare at it, and not play it, cause we don't know how. But it does impresses all the people who come into my office. Especially all the nurses.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you put a M in a G case you deserve the s-hit you get for it. Your only a poser if you buy a 10k guitar, and don't play, and certainly if you just got it to impress your doctor or lawyer cronies, no matter what case you have.

WOW, is that the 11 k Murphy 1959 LP Standard Kinderd Burst Ultra Heavy Aged, you got. I'm getting one next week to impress Dr. Vinny Boombatz. We are just going to stare at it, an dnot play it, cause we don't know how. But it does impresses all the people who come into my office. Especially all the nurses.

Dr. Vinny Boombatz will now be a character on this forum! 

10 hours ago, Pinch said:

It's good business when people pay hundreds to do your advertising for you. 

It is smart marketing, and people who do not see it are blind. I myself do not wear anything that names a product unless they would pay me for it.

4 minutes ago, dc3c46 said:

It is smart marketing, and people who do not see it are blind. I myself do not wear anything that names a product unless they would pay me for it.

So your shoes have no name on them, or your pants, or anything you wear. I’m calling BS.

• Like 1

Wow - thanks for that Sgt.Pepper!   Dangerfield on Carson ...    "Doctor told me I drink too much.   My urine specimen had an olive in it." !     I would love to hear some of these irreverent comics talk about today's  'culture'.   $180 wallet with a brass plate on the outside advertising how  'this fool and his money were soon parted'.    The "Wokies" would try to shut them down - but Dangerfield,  Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, George Carlin, Robin Williams -  they'd chew them up and spit them out.     Maybe that's part of the reason those of us raised on that kind of social commentary have a problem with todays cultural shifts:    "Lifestyle"  product lines,  and the more hard to swallow pap being served up by corporations, media, et al.  

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The masters of product branding have to be Harley-Davidson.

Come to think of it, they had a Gibson/Harlee collaboration in a glass display case at a dealership I worked at, I think it was a Hummingbird with some sort of H-D branding on it.

J-180  - I believe. I hate to admit. I actually owned one.

6453231%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wow - thanks for that Sgt.Pepper!   Dangerfield on Carson ...    "Doctor told me I drink too much.   My urine specimen had an olive in it." !     I would love to hear some of these irreverent comics talk about today's  'culture'.   $180 wallet with a brass plate on the outside advertising how  'this fool and his money were soon parted'.    The "Wokies" would try to shut them down - but Dangerfield,  Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, George Carlin, Robin Williams -  they'd chew them up and spit them out.     Maybe that's part of the reason those of us raised on that kind of social commentary have a problem with todays cultural shifts:    "Lifestyle"  product lines,  and the more hard to swallow pap being served up by corporations, media, et al.  

What is left for comedians to poke fun at in these Uber PC, you can’t say that, I’m offended by that, era we live in?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 11:15 PM, slimt said:

These should be given with every purchase of a guitar.        
When you buy a 5000 plus guitar one of those gibson guitar stands would be a nice throw in. 

Well they are as it turns out giving a free gift with every online purchase at the moment..  Can you guess what?

FREE gift with online purchase! Get a pack of guitar picks with every guitar order. While supplies last.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well they are as it turns out giving a free gift with every online purchase at the moment..  Can you guess what?

FREE gift with online purchase! Get a pack of guitar picks with every guitar order. While supplies last.

Wouldn't that suck if they ran out of picks RIGHT BEFORE they shipped your order...

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Rabs,

One of life's mysteries is the concept of the "free gift".

More marketing bull$hit. 

When was the last time anyone gave you a gift that wasn't free?

Aren't all gifts "free" by definition?

RBSinTo

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

One of life's mysteries is the concept of the "free gift".

More marketing bull$hit. 

When was the last time anyone gave you a gift that wasn't free?

Aren't all gifts "free" by definition?

RBSinTo

The prostitute that gave me the clap cost $200.

• Like 1

Free Picks are worth what you pay for them.  Zilch.  I'm not gonna use a 3 cent pick on a $3K guitar, when I can splurge and get a decent one.  Sort of cheapens the brand when you sell someone a  $60K  car and 'give' them a $2 key fob.   Or, like when they give you 'free roadside assistance' for a year.    WTF would the marketing idjits bring up the subject of 'roadside assistance'  and link it to their "German Engineering"  road beast. 

I need another pick like I need a new orifice in my body. As one can see, I use cheap Fender and Gibson thins. I've been using them for 40 years and it's what I'm used to. Anyhow, every free pick I received with an instrument was a heavy. Useless to me. and always stayed in the case.

Cuf34dS.jpg

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Free Picks are worth what you pay for them.  Zilch.  I'm not gonna use a 3 cent pick on a $3K guitar, when I can splurge and get a decent one.  Sort of cheapens the brand when you sell someone a  $60K  car and 'give' them a $2 key fob. 

So is there a site I can go to where I can find out how much I should spend on a pick to use on guitars of different price points, so I know I’m using one in the right price range. Like the right oil for my car.

Like a $1500 to $2000 guitar you need a pick that cost at least $8. $2000 to $4000 it’s $15. Ya know so I at least know I’m doing right. I don’t want to void my warranty with a non recommended pick.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper