Gibson Brands Forums

“Blood Will Tell”

dhanners623

Here’s “Blood Will Tell,” another one I might do for the West Terre Haute concept album/EP. I might slow it down a bit and this version is performed without an instrumental because I had no instrumentalist. But it gives you an idea of the song.

Lifted the title from Gary Cartwright’s great book about the T. Cullen Davis murder trials in Texas in the 1970s.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, duluthdan said:

Thumbs up here too.  Sure would like to see your fretting hand.  Easier to steal the chords don't ya know.  Am Em thing sounds like.  Good story.

Thanks. I’ll set the camera back farther next time. Usually, people complain my fretting hand just confuses them….

As for chords, I’m capoed at the 4th fret and using Am, G and Em fingerings in the verses (or C#m, B and Abm without a capo) then  F, Am, G and Em (A, C#m, B, Abm) in the bridge.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AnneS said:

I like it, too.

I have given up trying to figure out your upside-down picking so I’m not about to watch your chord hand. Freaks me out, man! (In an admiring way, though.)

Thanks. If it is any consolation, when I watch people who play the same way I do, I get confused because I am so accustomed to watching righties play.

• Like 1

All ya gotta do is turn the guitar upside down….

I taught myself to play on my late brother’s blond Stella. (Wish I still had that guitar….) It didn’t have a pickguard on it, so I didn’t know I was holding it upside down. Being left-handed, I held it the way that felt natural. Checked the “Glen Campbell Guitar Method” book out of the library and looked at the chord diagrams and put my fingers where the dots were.  When I started playing with others, I realized I was holding the guitar upside down.

Albert King played the same way, as did Bill Staines. Texas folkie Shake Russell plays this way. I’ve known four or five others personally who play that way and oddly, we all sound different. I attribute it to the fact we all taught ourselves how to play, so we all interpreted the instrument differently.

And I never did figure out how to play like Glen Campbell….

1 hour ago, dhanners623 said:

All ya gotta do is turn the guitar upside down….

I taught myself to play on my late brother’s blond Stella. (Wish I still had that guitar….) It didn’t have a pickguard on it, so I didn’t know I was holding it upside down. Being left-handed, I held it the way that felt natural. Checked the “Glen Campbell Guitar Method” book out of the library and looked at the chord diagrams and put my fingers where the dots were.  When I started playing with others, I realized I was holding the guitar upside down.

Albert King played the same way, as did Bill Staines. Texas folkie Shake Russell plays this way. I’ve known four or five others personally who play that way and oddly, we all sound different. I attribute it to the fact we all taught ourselves how to play, so we all interpreted the instrument differently.

And I never did figure out how to play like Glen Campbell….

Elizabeth Cotten, who wrote "Freight Train Blues", also played left-handed, turning the guitar upside down without switching the order of the strings.

RBSinTo