Gibson Brands Forums

Aging chrome hardware

Chrome doesn’t really age the way nickel does. On my most played guitar with chrome hardware, my hand went through the chrome revealing kindof a coppery brassy color on the saddles. There are no parts that have the tarnishing like you see on nickel hardware

If you look at old guitars from the 70s with chrome hardware it still looks shiny but sometimes the metal underneath oxidizes and starts to flake the chrome off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gibsonles paul said:

Chrome doesn't do that. heres a 78 les paul. The chrome is still as shiny as the day it left the factory

Ok.  Why do that if they don't do that?  Just curious.

rct

• Haha 1

All I know about one or another is that you can remove pits and such from chrome with a Brillo pad.  [wink]

I doubt you'd want to do that with your LP though.  And again....

Why do you want to "age" your pick-up covers anyway?

Whitefang

On 4/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, gibsonles paul said:

Hey guys. Just wanted to know what's the best way to age the pickup covers on mu 2016 Les Paul traditional.  I heard of a paper towel and vinegar method but I'm not sure how that works. Please leave you tips below. Thanks!

Color buff it and it will dull in a few days after. But this only works on chromium3.... if it's chromium6 forget it. 

you might be confusing chrome with nickel

Nickel will show age,

most Chrome I've had wont

My 95 LP and 2002 Standard's chrome looks like the day I brought em home from the gutiar store.

Edited by kidblast

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Reading this thread, I just lost the will to live.

For the record.

😑

you should wait  for that Bealtes / Stones collaboration thing,  then you can be sure it's time..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

you should wait  for that Bealtes / Stones collaboration thing,  then you can be sure it's time..

I hear that Harley Davidson is going all electric.

Between that, the relic'ing chrome, and Beatles/Stones, I can hardly see me making it to suppertime.

🤨

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Between that, the relic'ing chrome, and Beatles/Stones, I can hardly see me making it to suppertime.

🤨

lol, please hang in there Sparky ...

4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

🤨

L   O   L

Out loud.

rct

You could try fuming it with ammonia. I've "antiqued" lots of parts this way but I don't know if it works on chrome. The way I do it is to pour some ammonia into a  container that has a lid, then using a piece of wire, suspend the part in the container so it does NOT touch the ammonia. Put a lid on it and wait a day or two. The longer it stays in there the more "antiqued" it will become. Heat helps so try to do it in a sunny spot on a hot day. Like I said - I don't know if it works on chrome but it wouldn't hurt to try. I used tall tupperware containers.

Edited by 10PoundLester
Added the bit about heat