Gibson Brands Forums

Retired but updating my resume so I can be semi retired

ksdaddy

49 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'm more like Clint Eastwood in "Grand Torino."

The quintessential  "Get Off My Lawn"  movie !      

A cheap sign does it for me:   "Achtung: Land Mines" !        

Now that I think of it -   my Ford Sedan is probably the closest thing to a Grand Torino  Ford has made since then.    Time for some introspection.   And a beer. 

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

I'm 69 at end of June and beginning to feel like Henry Fonda in 'On Golden Pond'.  

That's rough.  Fonda's character in that movie was 80,  Fonda himself was only 76 when he did that movie.

And the 80 year old character in On Golden Pond seemed to be doing better than I am at 72(end of July).  😬

Whitefang

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

That's rough.  Fonda's character in that movie was 80,  Fonda himself was only 76 when he did that movie.

And the 80 year old character in On Golden Pond seemed to be doing better than I am at 72(end of July).  😬

Whitefang

I was with my old boss yesterday....he's 78.... looks and acts just like when I first met him 42 years ago!

We went to see another old friend who just had surgery....he'll be 74 next month.... he looks like he's been rode hard and put away wet!

I'll be 74 in August.... I'm kinda in between both them!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

The plan is to develop the business I just started with 2 associates up to a valuation in the 10s of millions in 4 years, then exit. I guess I wouldn't retire properly but my life would become a series of enjoyable projects against a back drop of freedom,

I'd say that would be a proper retirement

I’ll be retired 13-years next month.  Having a blast,  busier than ever, but it’s usually things I enjoy doing.  Everyday is the weekend.  If we’re lucky, we really do grow wiser as we grow older.  Little things that used to bother me mean very little now.  Basically, I just don’t give a crap about them anymore.  I think that I’ve finally matured into an adult.  Not saying I’ve grown-up.  It’s just that I understand what’s really important.   Hope I never grow-up.  That wouldn’t be any fun.  Everything for me now tends to revolve around family and playing music.  I’m pretty much where I want to be in life and I’m satisfied with who I am.  Wish I played guitar better, but I have one-hell-of-a-good-time just playing my coffeehouses, local festivals, and wineries.  Life ls good…….

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

Honest question, does the Latin, 'curriculum vitae' mean anything to our American friends, or has 'resumé' completely replaced it? 

We've pretty much reverted back to grunts, nods and puzzled looks. 

We've allowed our education system to be hijacked and have the dumbest kids ever.

We do, however, lead the world in tent cities.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

MoPicker -  Well said.  "Every Day is Saturday" !   I almost feel like I'm a different person than I was for the 40 years I was 'working for the man'.   Wake up. Get ready for work. Drive to work. Work. Drive home from work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.  And it wasn't until the last 4 or 5 years that I realized I didn't have to worry about work when I wasn't there.    I don't think I enjoyed a cup of coffee as much until I retired.   Never heard the buzz of a Hummingbird on my porch.    Wouldn't trade retirement for extra money in the bank.  But - that's a 'value judgement' ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Honest question, does the Latin, 'curriculum vitae' mean anything to our American friends, or has 'resumé' completely replaced it? 

C.V.  - was understood to be synonymous with resume, at least 10 years ago.  (Now, I'm guessing the HR Weenies just surf the net looking for applicants Social Media posts to decide if they would  fit in to the 'culture'  they want to re-imagine. )  

I'm  guessing a Director in a position to hire 'professionals'  shouldn't be if he doesn't know what a 'Curriculum Vitae' is.   

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

I suspect any HR person who graduated from our education system in the last decade would label someone a racist if they presented a 'curriculum vitae'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

MoPicker -  Well said.  "Every Day is Saturday" !   I almost feel like I'm a different person than I was for the 40 years I was 'working for the man'.   Wake up. Get ready for work. Drive to work. Work. Drive home from work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.  And it wasn't until the last 4 or 5 years that I realized I didn't have to worry about work when I wasn't there.    I don't think I enjoyed a cup of coffee as much until I retired.   Never heard the buzz of a Hummingbird on my porch.    Wouldn't trade retirement for extra money in the bank.  But - that's a 'value judgement' ! 

Yeah.  I joke with people by saying the only way I know what day it is  depends on what's on TV that night.  😜  Or that I realize it's Wednesday when I see the neighbors roll their garbage barrels to the curb.

Was talking with one of my daughters who told me her currently unemployed boyfriend is having trouble job hunting because he doesn't have a resume. He's not any kind of professional and just did simple manual labor jobs since getting out of high school.  His major skill is operating a forklift,  and he(and I) can't see the sense in creating an employment autobiography for the type of work he's looking for.  In fact, since most places he would do that kind of work usually require someone fill out an employment application, and those already have those questions on that form, and since the applicant would have already answered them on that form, the redundance of a resume seems pointless.  Along with a face-to-face interview.  Back in the "day" when I applied for my job at GM's Cadillac plant, all I did was fill out the application form.  And the only face-to-face situations were when taking the physicals.  Now, I'm told, any punk kid out of high school applying at GM for a job on the line has to have a resume and a sit down for an interview.  WHY?

Is GM knowing how many car washes the kid worked at or which fast food joints he flipped burgers at really that useful to them?   Will a certain number of assembly line workers having experience of busing tables at Ram's Horn ensure the car I buy will be a better quality?   Or is it all to justify somebody's nephew's HR job?

Whitefang

When I was kid in School a day seemed like an eternity.. When I was an adult & worked a day seemed like a week… Since I’ve retired time passes faster.. Even with the Covid pandemic, Lockdowns etc. I can’t tell you how fast the past 5 years has passed! Now a year seems like a week!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

When I was kid in School a day seemed like an eternity.. When I was an adult & worked a day seemed like a week… Since I’ve retired time passes faster.. Even with the Covid pandemic, Lockdowns etc. I can’t tell you how fast the past 5 years has passed! Now a year seems like a week!

That isn't a function of retirement, but simply of age.  When we were 4 years old a year was 25% of our life.  At retirement of age 65 a year is only 1/65th of our life.

27 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

27 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

AlsoWhen I was kid in School a day seemed like an eternity.. When I was an adult & worked a day seemed like a week… Since I’ve retired time passes faster.. Even with the Covid pandemic, Lockdowns etc. I can’t tell you how fast the past 5 years has passed! Now a year seems like a week!

I use the analogy of being at the end of the toilet paper roll..... same number of squares makes the roll spin faster!

Also, if you think about it....at  10 years old....a  year represents 10% of your entire existance, (actually more since most can't recall what happened for the first 2-3 years of  their life).     But when you're 50....that year is only 2% of your life's experience.... and at my age 73 a year is less than 1.5%!

Edited by DanvillRob

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Sounds like some kind of math theorem! Like some of E = MC2 thing…

But, given, that a minute is 60 seconds don’t you have to physically move faster to change time? If that’s true it doesn’t seem like it applies to over 60’s guys.. Most of us are moving slower… Seems like time should, mathematically in theory, move slower? No?

Just now, Larsongs said:

Sounds like some kind of math theorem! Like some of E = MC2 thing…

But, given, that a minute is 60 seconds don’t you have to physically move faster to change time? If that’s true it doesn’t seem like it applies to over 60’s guys.. Most of us are moving slower… Seems like time should, mathematically in theory, move slower? No?

Some say married men live longer...others think it just feels that way!

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Some say married men live longer...others think it just feels that way!

Sounds like a joke line, but maybe it’s not…..🤣   I don’t go to high school reunions anymore.  I hate all those old people coming-up and saying, “Do you remember me?”

Edited by MissouriPicker