Gibson Brands Forums

Faded Series

Joe M

14 hours ago, Joe M said:

Is it literally just the difference in finishes that separates the faded series models from the gloss finish ones? Wood, bracing, other appointments exactly the same?

For some people,  that is enough of a difference.

Are we talking the vintage style reissues?  If so. 

I looked and tried out a J35 yesterday.  The tone was nice .  but.      
I sure did not like the wide neck.  Very round baseball bat neck. The fingerboard felt like it had some sort of wax coating on it .    Maybe it was that one guitar.   Have you seen others like this? 

not sure where Gibson was going with this one. 

as for the finish being faded.   What there trying to achieve with the finish is different 

its a 7 k canadian guitar here.       

Edited by slimt

The PR claims no difference except the matt finish to the gloss models, and the saving is made by not having to do all the extra steps involved in a gloss finish. Acoustic Letter had some Youtube videos of the faded models.

No sign of LG or L-00 faded models as yet. Probably less for me to worry about. 😁

BluesKing777.

Not a fan of that particular finish option.  Then again, I do not even care for a Satin finish.  I still prefer a gloss finish but applied so I can see the grain through the blackest black of a burst.  Might be though that I have enough guitars which through the years have lost their sheen but which I would love to have seen when they were bright and shiny.

Edited by zombywoof

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Not a fan of that particular finish option.  Then again, I do not even care for a Satin finish.  I still prefer a gloss finish but applied so I can see the grain through the blackest black of a burst.  Might be though that I have enough guitars which through the years have lost their sheen but which I would love to have seen when they were bright and shiny.

I have been bleating everywhere how I want triple gloss now........😁

Probably a bit bored with satin and ‘no finish left’ guitars......I also wonder what they will look like in 20. They will need more paint! Look at some old guitars and you could be forgiven for thinking they need a few shots of thick ole gloss nitro......but there goes the ‘vintage mojo’ value....

So everyone buys a new one that has been ‘thin finished’ and scratched and everything done to it that you have avoided your whole life with your guitars...... silly world, eh?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I have been bleating everywhere how I want triple gloss now........😁

Probably a bit bored with satin and ‘no finish left’ guitars......I also wonder what they will look like in 20. They will need more paint! Look at some old guitars and you could be forgiven for thinking they need a few shots of thick ole gloss nitro......but there goes the ‘vintage mojo’ value....

So everyone buys a new one that has been ‘thin finished’ and scratched and everything done to it that you have avoided your whole life with your guitars...... silly world, eh?

BluesKing777.

Its another way to avoid a warranty claim. Mess the finish up before it gets sold.  😃

then there will be a cracked top version. Cleated ready to go.  

35 minutes ago, slimt said:

Its another way to avoid a warranty claim. Mess the finish up before it gets sold.  😃

then there will be a cracked top version. Cleated ready to go.  

Great idea, cracked tops! Just like real ones! Better send the idea to the marketing dept!

Actually, the Faded Series might  needs more juice to sell.....relic jobs stage one, two, three, liven the plain old (boring?) Faded Bird up a bit!

Over the years on various forums, we saw the pure horror of any guitar getting scratched, then one of the Grand Poobahs of the forum bought an Aged Martin Dread and then, they all bought one and rave about them!

So far, no scratchy Gibsons acoustics! (Can’t be far off, eh?). No scratchy Matons here either, made just like they did in .......1970. There must be PR Marketing meetings going on everywhere - the new satin printed relic Martin StreetMasters scratchy is going off!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

Just electrics right now for Gibson in the pre abused line up. If Gibson can sell it, acoustics will be in the mix soon.

It’s like cars, once one company does it the next year they all do it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

the saving is made by not having to do all the extra steps involved in a gloss finish. 

In these times of inflation and governments printing and borrowing money like drunken sailors I understand the challenges of keeping a quality American guitar affordable.

Ya gotta keep the lights on.

• Thanks 1

I'm doing a perfectly good job of aging my own guitar - accumulating scratches,  nicks, dings, and nitro fading where my arm sits over the body.  I figure wth - I can't take it with me!   It helps that I'm perfectly happy with just my L-00 and stopped looking at other acoustics years ago. 

Edited by northcntryblues

Bozeman's business model is pretty much standard for guitar companies these days.   A Gibson for everybody regardless of how fat your wallet is and what your taste in guitars be.  If they don't want a J45 come out with one with a rosewood body.  If you want to cut the price go with a less labor-intensive satin finish.  Better yet create a whole series based on that finish.  

Edited by zombywoof

I was probably fine with the fade finish until I found out it was cheaper! Do we want another short cut?

Stepping back, I liked the matt finish on Waterloos and certain Martin series around 2014 - 2015.....you know, claims of them sounding better with scanty matt finish, but 7 or 8 years down the track they have those ‘contact marks’ where you hold the guitar and no way of getting rid of them. Surely a different finish formula could make that sort of thing...not happen? Well, an older generation would have shot a new gloss over it all......or buff it all to a gloss.

Of course, there is matt finish and there is Matt Finish........I was sitting behind a new SUV, think it was Porcshe, and it was a matt charcoal  that was just..stunning. It looked like it was alive, a panther or something. And it was thick finish, maybe. And certainly not a short cut.

BluesKing777.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People by pre-beat up guitars now and will pay extra for it. Why, ask them?  I don't get it.

I think it's  buying 'mojo'.   "Look how hard I've played and worked - this guitar has been by  my side for decades."    Like wearing a TeeShirt that says "Ironman"  because you have the Casio Watch. 

20 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think it's  buying 'mojo'.   "Look how hard I've played and worked - this guitar has been by  my side for decades."    Like wearing a TeeShirt that says "Ironman"  because you have the Casio Watch. 

All it takes is about 3 seconds to look at the guitar's serial number to point out your a fraud posing with an old looking, but new guitar. The first time someone told me what they paid for a new Strat that looks old, it was hard to not stop from laughing in his face. Oh you paid extra to think your looking cool . . . huh?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Why do we care what somebody else’s guitar looks like? A guitar is just that — a guitar. It’s not a “statement” or a calling card or a manifesto or a price of admission to some exclusive club. It’s a guitar.

I’ve never quite understood the preoccupation with how somebody else’s guitar looks. Similarly, I’ve never understood the preoccupation with knowing how much others spend on their guitars.

Helpful Hint: If you don’t like the look of a “relic’d” or “aged” or “distressed” or a “George Santos” guitar, don’t buy one.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Why do we care what somebody else’s guitar looks like? A guitar is just that — a guitar. It’s not a “statement” or a calling card or a manifesto or a price of admission to some exclusive club. It’s a guitar.

I’ve never quite understood the preoccupation with how somebody else’s guitar looks. Similarly, I’ve never understood the preoccupation with knowing how much others spend on their guitars.

Helpful Hint: If you don’t like the look of a “relic’d” or “aged” or “distressed” or a “George Santos” guitar, don’t buy one.

As the OP of this thread, that has gone completely off the rails, dhanners623, I couldn't agree more. I'm a moderator on another site that continually gets "relic" threads hashed and rehashed. It's a finish option, nothing else. It's like saying "how could anyone like a red guitar, they're hideous". You don't like them? Fine, don't rip on someone who does.

In the end, it's all opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.....thanks to the couple of you that gave a direct response to my original question.....oh, and FWIW, I bought the full gloss HB, not the faded model, just because it sounded and played better....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Ha Ha!

Seen these yet?

New Martin D18 Street Legend!

Aging is...yep...printed on!  And they are selling like hot cakes!

BluesKing777.

Love Martin. Hate that they do that. Come on Chris. No one thinks you just got lucky and found a 40's D-18 in a store.

33 minutes ago, Joe M said:

As the OP of this thread, that has gone completely off the rails, dhanners623, I couldn't agree more. I'm a moderator on another site that continually gets "relic" threads hashed and rehashed. It's a finish option, nothing else. It's like saying "how could anyone like a red guitar, they're hideous". You don't like them? Fine, don't rip on someone who does.

In the end, it's all opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.....thanks to the couple of you that gave a direct response to my original question.....oh, and FWIW, I bought the full gloss HB, not the faded model, just because it sounded and played better....

I’m betting some of the folks trashing relic’d guitars have probably bought pre-washed jeans….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I’m betting some of the folks trashing relic’d guitars have probably bought pre-washed jeans….

"Pre-washed"? How about pre-ripped, torn and otherwise- made to look like they were put through a tornado just before they were bought.

People are strange.