Gibson Brands Forums

Computer Games How far we have come

Rabs

9 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I worked for two years at a place where the kid who replaced the flourescent lights would replace all the bulbs in a fixture when one of them went bad.  It was like a whole year before I told the kid that only one of the bulbs goes bad at a time.  There were like fifty other engineers sitting around watching the kid do this for a year until I talked to him.  Electricals, mechanicals, architects, all posturing around like a bunch of racehorses all day long, while they are unable to help a kid learn how to change a light bulb.  Good thing they had a dumbaxx civil engineer around to deal with the real world.

taken from here https://www.crazyengineers.com/discussion/how-many-engineers-does-it-take-to-change-a-light-bulb

Case Study: The Light Bulb Replacement Project

Background:

A large industrial facility in the United States was experiencing frequent light bulb burnouts, resulting in decreased productivity and increased maintenance costs. The facility's management decided to launch a project to replace all of the facility's light bulbs with more energy-efficient and longer-lasting LED bulbs.

The project was assigned to the facility's engineering department.

Problem Statement:

The engineering team was tasked with replacing over 10,000 light bulbs across the facility's various departments and buildings. The team needed to develop a plan to ensure that the light bulb replacement was done efficiently, cost-effectively, and with minimal disruption to the facility's operations.

Project Execution:

The engineering team began by conducting a thorough analysis of the facility's lighting needs, including factors such as the types of bulbs required for each location, the necessary light levels, and the hours of operation for each area.

The team also researched various LED bulb options to identify the most energy-efficient and cost-effective options.

Once the research was completed, the engineering team developed a detailed plan for the light bulb replacement project.

The plan included a timeline for replacing the bulbs, a budget for purchasing the LED bulbs, and a schedule for the installation of the new bulbs.

The team also developed a training program for the facility's maintenance staff to ensure that they were equipped with the necessary knowledge and tools to replace the bulbs correctly.

The training program covered topics such as how to properly dispose of the old bulbs, how to install the new bulbs, and how to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

Results:

The light bulb replacement project was completed on schedule and within budget. The new LED bulbs provide energy savings of over 60% compared to the previous bulbs, resulting in significant cost savings for the facility.

The new bulbs also had a longer lifespan, reducing the need for frequent bulb replacements and maintenance.

Conclusion:

The engineering team's approach to the light bulb replacement project was thorough and efficient. By conducting a detailed analysis and developing a comprehensive plan, the team was able to ensure that the project was completed successfully and with minimal disruption to the facility's operations. The project demonstrates the importance of effective planning and collaboration between departments to achieve a common goal.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

taken from here https://www.crazyengineers.com/discussion/how-many-engineers-does-it-take-to-change-a-light-bulb

Case Study: The Light Bulb Replacement Project

Background:

A large industrial facility in the United States was experiencing frequent light bulb burnouts, resulting in decreased productivity and increased maintenance costs. The facility's management decided to launch a project to replace all of the facility's light bulbs with more energy-efficient and longer-lasting LED bulbs.

The project was assigned to the facility's engineering department.

Problem Statement:

The engineering team was tasked with replacing over 10,000 light bulbs across the facility's various departments and buildings. The team needed to develop a plan to ensure that the light bulb replacement was done efficiently, cost-effectively, and with minimal disruption to the facility's operations.

Project Execution:

The engineering team began by conducting a thorough analysis of the facility's lighting needs, including factors such as the types of bulbs required for each location, the necessary light levels, and the hours of operation for each area.

The team also researched various LED bulb options to identify the most energy-efficient and cost-effective options.

Once the research was completed, the engineering team developed a detailed plan for the light bulb replacement project.

The plan included a timeline for replacing the bulbs, a budget for purchasing the LED bulbs, and a schedule for the installation of the new bulbs.

The team also developed a training program for the facility's maintenance staff to ensure that they were equipped with the necessary knowledge and tools to replace the bulbs correctly.

The training program covered topics such as how to properly dispose of the old bulbs, how to install the new bulbs, and how to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

Results:

The light bulb replacement project was completed on schedule and within budget. The new LED bulbs provide energy savings of over 60% compared to the previous bulbs, resulting in significant cost savings for the facility.

The new bulbs also had a longer lifespan, reducing the need for frequent bulb replacements and maintenance.

Conclusion:

The engineering team's approach to the light bulb replacement project was thorough and efficient. By conducting a detailed analysis and developing a comprehensive plan, the team was able to ensure that the project was completed successfully and with minimal disruption to the facility's operations. The project demonstrates the importance of effective planning and collaboration between departments to achieve a common goal.

I love LED light bulbs as an electrician. Fluorescents are the devil. That is what I am doing right now at work. Every fixture with fluorescents lights when I see one bulb burned out, I gut the inductive ballast and install LED bulbs. 

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree.    

My First Directive though (its more of a guideline)  which applies to "LIFE" as well as light bulbs and carburetors and guitar tuners - is  "If it's not broken, don't fix it."  

Good advice for life as well as most anything else.  But think about it....

How many things in our lives that we relied on were changed and not for the better because some engineer nephew of some big shot thought he/she could "fix" it to be "better"?

How many here are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of vinyl LPs  and then had to invest more money in the purchase of those new-fangled CD players because someone "fixed" some problem (so they thought) and now for decades nobody released new recordings on anything else but compact discs?

And now, how much have you invested in replacing a lot of your old vinyl records with CD reissues, and the dozens or more of new releases on CDs  only to wake up one morning to find someone else "fixed" some perceived "problem" leaving all those CDs useless?

And now, no sooner than when you dump that old inoperable turntable do they start releasing a lot of good music on vinyl again!  [cursing]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Good advice for life as well as most anything else.  But think about it....

How many things in our lives that we relied on were changed and not for the better because some engineer nephew of some big shot thought he/she could "fix" it to be "better"?

How many here are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of vinyl LPs  and then had to invest more money in the purchase of those new-fangled CD players because someone "fixed" some problem (so they thought) and now for decades nobody released new recordings on anything else but compact discs?

And now, how much have you invested in replacing a lot of your old vinyl records with CD reissues, and the dozens or more of new releases on CDs  only to wake up one morning to find someone else "fixed" some perceived "problem" leaving all those CDs useless?

And now, no sooner than when you dump that old inoperable turntable do they start releasing a lot of good music on vinyl again!  [cursing]

Whitefang

Understand totally.  I grew up with vinyl as most did here, cause it was the way to listen to music or the radio. Now can you play a 12 inch vinyl LP in the car. Nope, but I can pop in CD or plug in my ipod loaded with hundreds of albums stored on it. Time marches on, and it always will. We have found newer and better ways of killing each other than just a stick or a rock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:48 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

. Time marches on, and it always will. 

Y'know, every time I vent this rant people mistakenly think I'm somehow against technological advances.  I'm really not, IF those advances are advantageous to ALL of mankind.  And not only to a few niche interests.  Plus I'd prefer to at least be allowed to be able to have a choice in some matters.  I'm really disappointed that seemingly the mass of American public has willingly bent over and allowed the electronics market control them, the consumers.   It really should be the other way around.  People shouldn't have to resort to scouring through thrift shops, yard sales,  eBay or the like to find the CD players,  DVD players tape players or other audio/visual components they prefer to use.  

Whitefang

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I still have mini-discs. Remember them?

My aunt had Beta-Max. 

Probably best to wait until some industry standard is established, but then... for how long?

Wasn’t Beta better quality than VHS?

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Not really sure what you’re trying to express besides general random misguided dissatisfaction 

phase one was complaining about technological advances which are advantageous only to a niche audience. I am not really sure what a specific example of that would be or why it’s upsetting

phase two was complaining that you can’t find a new cd player which is an electronic item appealing to such a niche audience it seems conflicting with phase one 

In between you were saying the consumers don’t control the market which is obviously false. If consumers wanted cd players the shelves would be full of different options and price points etc. 

The exact reason you don’t have a whole aisle of CD players at Best Buy is precisely because consumers control the market.

The plight of the lost souls scouring eBay looking for CD players…. Dunno it doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Lots of real life things to worry about before that 

Aren’t all Blue Ray players reverse engineered to play BR’s, DVD’s, SACD’s and CD’s. I have one. Bought it at Wally World for about $65.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wasn’t Beta better quality than VHS?

Yes.  Sony lost the video battle.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Aren’t all Blue Ray player reverses engineered to play BR’s, DVD’s, SACD’s and CD’s. I have one. Bought it at Wally World for about $65.

Yes or most of them are these days.

On 6/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, merciful-evans said:

I still have mini-discs. Remember them?

My aunt had Beta-Max. 

Probably best to wait until some industry standard is established, but then... for how long?

Hey...

My ex brother in law still has a few of these;

maxresdefault.jpg

And this to play 'em on;

il_fullxfull.443398105_tg0y.jpg

[laugh]

Plus he told me he still has that "first edition" LED digital wristwatch he paid $150.00 for in 1973.

Whitefang

Now, let's see if you can come up with an intelligent sounding reason to delete THIS reply, mods.  [wink]

Edited by Whitefang