Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Anniversary of a different sort.

Retired

Not wedding, Debbie and I celabrated our 10th  year of both retiring from our jobs 10 years ago today. Seems to have flown by. After I retired from the RailRoad, 1 year and 11 months later I stumbled upon the Gibson Forum, looking at guitars. Not satisfied on the net, I went to Guitar Center and stumbled on a great buy for the Gold Top I bought. Took it home and asked Gibson to ID it for me and it was a Standard. 

• Thanks 1

We're just over a year. 

Well, actually, we lost a few months when our daughter bought a "fixer upper" house. That was a job....

Also, you can't count the first month of retirement. They make you pull all of those strings dealing with Medicare, drug plans, supplements and such.

It's like a new job dealing with that!

Congrats old friend. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Not wedding, Debbie and I celabrated our 10th  year of both retiring from our jobs 10 years ago today. Seems to have flown by. After I retired from the RailRoad, 1 year and 11 months later I stumbled upon the Gibson Forum, looking at guitars. Not satisfied on the net, I went to Guitar Center and stumbled on a great buy for the Gold Top I bought. Took it home and asked Gibson to ID it for me and it was a Standard. 

I worked for Norfolk Southern for a year and a half. If I wasn't on 3rd shift I would have stayed,

Retirement good - fire bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Congrats, Butch and good wife.

Good times abound!

🙂
A gift.
Adrian Belew song about trains.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=adrian+belew+song+about+trains#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:1e031be6,vid:wL6SzVIy_tU

Adrian Belew, he is so good it took him two auditions for Frank Zappa to hire him.

• Like 1

Congrats Butch.  Yep, it does go by fast.  In this past January I marked 23 years of being officially retired.   Was on sick leave four years before that.  But just seems like a few years.  My wife also worked for GM and medically retired four years later.  Like my Mom would say;

"Turn around and spit twice and so much time went by."  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

Happy A-Day!

I'm hoping for AT LEAST 10 years of retirement.

My wife only worked outside the home for about 6 months when we first got married....so she was all set for retirement.

I will have been retired for 3 years in July....it's truly a great situation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Murph said:

We're just over a year. 

Well, actually, we lost a few months when our daughter bought a "fixer upper" house. That was a job....

Also, you can't count the first month of retirement. They make you pull all of those strings dealing with Medicare, drug plans, supplements and such.

It's like a new job dealing with that!

Congrats old friend. 

Thanks Murph. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I worked for Norfolk Southern for a year and a half. If I wasn't on 3rd shift I would have stayed,

Retirement good - fire bad.

I worked at Union Pacific 10 years and 4 months. They were closing the Omaha Shops, At that time I had the Brain Tumor cancer and UP just wanted to get rid of me. After the doctors released me a year later, I went back to nothing there. So I hired on BNSF to finish my career. It is a great retirement.  I have a friend who quit, BNSF, he went on SS and wished he would have stuck it out.  He was also from the UP. 

10 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Congrats, Butch and good wife.

Good times abound!

🙂
A gift.
Adrian Belew song about trains.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=adrian+belew+song+about+trains#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:1e031be6,vid:wL6SzVIy_tU

Thanks Sparky. When I worked at the UP, You would be surprised at how many times we heard their theme song played. Every morning at each safety meeting.  BN didn't do that, they just told us to work safe and gave an injury list each morning and what railroad they worked at. we weren't allowed to have 3 accidents per year or they could fire you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Congrats Butch.  Yep, it does go by fast.  In this past January I marked 23 years of being officially retired.   Was on sick leave four years before that.  But just seems like a few years.  My wife also worked for GM and medically retired four years later.  Like my Mom would say;

"Turn around and spit twice and so much time went by."  [wink]

Whitefang

I was reading scripture the other day and it said, "Your life is like a flower, here one day and fades away the next." I remember the day I left from the party they had for us. 8 guys left together May -31- 2013.  I was rock and rollin driving home shouting and singing,  NO MORE WORK!   NO MORE DRIVING IN A HOUR TO GET THERE! Then I paused and thought, My life is over half over. Yep like a flower. Lol. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Happy A-Day!

I'm hoping for AT LEAST 10 years of retirement.

My wife only worked outside the home for about 6 months when we first got married....so she was all set for retirement.

I will have been retired for 3 years in July....it's truly a great situation.

It has been a great life for us so far. She gets half of my retirement plus her teachers pension. so together is like we don't miss work at all.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Retired said:

I remember watching all those spook movies with my dad as a kid. Still remember her face. 

I grew up watching them. Still do ... lol. Now my Grandsons 3 n 4 yrs old love watching them with me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

It has been a great life for us so far. She gets half of my retirement plus her teachers pension. so together is like we don't miss work at all.  

She gets HALF your pension?  Really?

Does the railroad send her a separate check,  or are you just speaking figuratively?   And how else is it set up?  Like if you go first how much of your pension does she get as a surviving spouse?  For GM workers it's 65%.  Which means I get a check for 65% of my wife's pension each month.  When she was still living she used to like to joke:

"We have TWO types of money in our house.  OUR money, and MY money!"  [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, Whitefang said:

She gets HALF your pension?  Really?

Does the railroad send her a separate check,  or are you just speaking figuratively?   And how else is it set up?  Like if you go first how much of your pension does she get as a surviving spouse?  For GM workers it's 65%.  Which means I get a check for 65% of my wife's pension each month.  When she was still living she used to like to joke:

"We have TWO types of money in our house.  OUR money, and MY money!"  [wink]

Whitefang

Lol, I get my Full retirement pay, She earns half of that according to railroad. yes, a separate check for her. Thats the spouses part of being married to a Railroader. Then she still gets her Teachers pension. At 70 some, she can get Social Security, but has to forfeit her part of my RR pension.  If I die before her, She qualifies to get my whole RailRoad pension. But I think she has to give up her S.S. But my whole R.R. retirement plus her teachers pension isn't anything to sneeze about.  If she goes first, I get hers. We set it up that way.  We have OUR money together. I used to mine and hers. Thats when we were working, I bought tons of guns then and became a Collecter. Plus my guitars.  I collected Chess Sets also. 

• Thanks 1

Not a bad deal, Butch.  But if GM had the same set up it wouldn't have made any difference since we were both GM workers. And does that "spouses" thing work both ways?  For instance, if SHE was the railroad worker and you had some different occupation, would YOU get half of her railroad pension?  Or was it based on the archaic belief that the spouse is probably the "little woman" who spends her life at home, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?  [wink]

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Not a bad deal, Butch.  But if GM had the same set up it wouldn't have made any difference since we were both GM workers. And does that "spouses" thing work both ways?  For instance, if SHE was the railroad worker and you had some different occupation, would YOU get half of her railroad pension?  Or was it based on the archaic belief that the spouse is probably the "little woman" who spends her life at home, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?  [wink]

Whitefang

I can't say for SURE? But Yes I do believe so. There were several woman working thee at BNSF.  1 was married to a guy working there. Not sure how that would work out either?  R.R. workers usually have both Tier 1&2 taxes paid off by the time they retire & if you have 30 years of RR service and 60 years of age,  you don't have to pay state taxes. Just federal.

• Thanks 1

I just re-tired my car. Put on 4 new 225/50R17 SL Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive BDW's for $963.00 plus $109 for the alignment. Been retired for 6 years now, but may need to apply at Wal-Mart as a "greeter" with prices like this, lol.