Gibson Brands Forums

3rd Time Hopefully Is The Charm

Sgt. Pepper

Well ages ago me and my buddy were going to get together in Knoxville to see King's X. Well you know, Covid. Then we tried again, and either he flaked, or they cancelled again. I think he flaked. So next week we are meeting up in Ashville, NC to see them at the Orange Peel on the 13th of July. We are staying 6/10th of a mile from the place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Not familiar enough with them to really care, but I really do hope you guys make it this time.

Whitefang

They were popular in the late 80's and early 90's. Gretchen Goes To Nebraska was their big album. Dogman too. Their a power trio. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Sounds like a good time.

Don't get bit by the liquor snake.
😗

I think I'm gonna stick to beer. I get to stupid on bourbon. There is a microbrewery walking distance from where we are staying called Wicked Weed. It has nothing to do with cannabis, and is named after the hops that goes in beer. I haven't been to Ashville in years. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have fun Sgt.  I don't know this group either as I've never paid attention to anyone past the 70's.  Yep, I'm an old dog. Wife & I still are still from the 60's and 70's. That British Invasion when they could all could write great music and songs about the war. We just saw 3 Dog Night a few weeks ago. She got to hear "Out In The Country,"  Her favorite from them. 

[biggrin]  THREE DOG NIGHT?   REALLY?  HaHaHaHaHa!

They're still around, eh?  Yeah, they did become a kind of joke to the "serious" rock crowd, but really....

I saw them on a Sat. night at Detroit's Grande Ballroom in very early March of '69, on the same bill with The James Gang(who have yet to release an album at the time) and The MC5.  Some  would say that's an odd billing, but gotta tell ya...

Three dog night was still riding high on the success of their cover of Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness"   and they had a nice tight little band behind them.  They also did a cover of The Band's "The Weight" that kicked ***.    And if THAT house of juiced and stoned hippies cheered them on like crazy, then they were the real deal.  Now I can't say I liked every son they did,  But I never really laughed them off.  One thing I liked about them was their dislike of "lip syncing"  for television appearances.  To the point they would often kibitz and never take doing that seriously.   you could often tell they were having fun making fun of it.

Whitefang

Have a blast, they're playing up here at my local Music hall but passed on it. 

Saw Eddie 9V plays last weekend, this weekend it's LA Guns.

I loved Three Dog Night as a teen, had all their albums.  But seeing them now wouldn't be the same I expect.

1 hour ago, nhwildbill said:

Have a blast, they're playing up here at my local Music hall but passed on it. 

Saw Eddie 9V plays last weekend, this weekend it's LA Guns.

I loved Three Dog Night as a teen, had all their albums.  But seeing them now wouldn't be the same I expect.

LA Guns are still around?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Never heard it before, but just gave it a listen a few minutes ago.

Great song!!
😀

That was from their first record Out Of The Silent Planet, a really good one followed by Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.  Fantastic band, two superb records in a row.  Those last couple summers of the 80's we were just back from Bermuda and living in OCNJ and dinner on the hibachi every night with these two records on the hi-fi.  Good effing times.

rct

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:46 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well ages ago me and my buddy were going to get together in Knoxville to see King's X. Well you know, Covid. Then we tried again, and either he flaked, or they cancelled again. I think he flaked. So next week we are meeting up in Ashville, NC to see them at the Orange Peel on the 13th of July. We are staying 6/10th of a mile from the place. 

I searched out Kings X. From the power trio description I didn't expect to like them. I listened to Over My Head & Its Love. I liked them. The songs are different enough to be interesting too. They have their own ID / Stamp. I'll listen again.

The shows within walking distance too. That's a good plus. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I searched out Kings X. From the power trio description I didn't expect to like them. I listened to Over My Head & Its Love. I liked them. The songs are different enough to be interesting too. They have their own ID / Stamp. I'll listen again.

The shows within walking distance too. That's a good plus. Enjoy.

Check out Gretchen and Dogman. 

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

LA Guns are still around?

Since 2016 Tracii Guns & Phil Lewis have been touring as LA Guns and put out a few new albums, including this year's "Black Diamonds".

I like Tracii and his posts on his love of the guitars & amps he uses.

My wife went to the Orange Peel for that Margaret Cho show the other week.

Cho said something like "I hope there's no gay people in here!!!" and the place was going wild, with 'em humping the curtains and licking stuff.  And she's like "Yeah, and shout out to the straight people too." and everybody's laughing.  She goes "If there was a dyke on that submarine they'da never died 'cause she'd have the boots and the cargo shorts and whip out her multi-tool and fix everything."  Something like that.

25 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

My wife went to the Orange Peel for that Margaret Cho show the other week.

Cho said something like "I hope there's no gay people in here!!!" and the place was going wild, with 'em humping the curtains and licking stuff.  And she's like "Yeah, and shout out to the straight people too." and everybody's laughing.  She goes "If there was a dyke on that submarine they'da never died 'cause she'd have the boots and the cargo shorts and whip out her multi-tool and fix everything."  Something like that.

Nope, as far as I know gays and transgenders have no superpowers and are no different than the straights. They may wear more rainbow clothing though.

The dream almost ended again. My buddy had a hose going to a toilet break yesterday evening, and got water everywhere in the back of the house. No carpet back there so they they dodged a bullet. His wife told him you are going. I guess it’s not bad enough to put in an insurance claim. Every time it’s something new when we try to see these guys. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper