Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for a friend 2

afishynado

Asking for a friend. A guy has 300k sitting in his checking account (which is only insured to 250k by FDIC). He wants a guitar, maybe new, maybe old. How much of the 300k should he pinch off to spend on a guitar.

Edited by afishynado

Not sure where the $150,000 limit came from. The FDIC insures saving accounts up to $250,000. From the FDIC website (https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/):

"Mar 15, 2023 Deposit insurance is one of the significant benefits of having an account at an FDIC-insured bank—it's how the FDIC protects your money in the unlikely event of a bank failure. The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category. And you don't have to purchase deposit insurance."

Other than that, I agree with fortyearspickn!

1 hour ago, afishynado said:

Asking for a friend. A guy has 200k sitting in his checking account (which is only insured to 150k by FDIC). He wants a guitar, maybe new, maybe old. How much of the 200k should he pinch off to spend on a guitar.

If he wants just ''A"  guitar he is going to have to come up with a little more than 200k. For 2 guitars multiply x 2.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Low Country Boy said:

Not sure where the $150,000 limit came from. The FDIC insures saving accounts up to $250,000. From the FDIC website (https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/):

"Mar 15, 2023 Deposit insurance is one of the significant benefits of having an account at an FDIC-insured bank—it's how the FDIC protects your money in the unlikely event of a bank failure. The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category. And you don't have to purchase deposit insurance."

Other than that, I agree with fortyearspickn!

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I really thought the limit was lower. I edited my op to reflect current limits.

1 hour ago, afishynado said:

Asking for a friend. A guy has 300k sitting in his checking account (which is only insured to 250k by FDIC). He wants a guitar, maybe new, maybe old. How much of the 200k should he pinch off to spend on a guitar.

Get smarter friends.

rct

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rct said:

Get smarter friends.

rct

LOL. He must be enamored with todays interest rates. They were near zero for what, 10 years...but when you factor in inflation...the savings/checking accounts aren't so lucrative. Back to guitars....

Edited by afishynado

I'm still confused.  If it is a question of wanting to spend over what the FDIC insures I am not coming up with $200K.  Anway, I am obviously on a guitar forum but if it were me and I was not inclined to invest $200K and decided I deserved to treat myself to something only seen on the lifestyles of the rich and shameless, I would buy a car,  Maybe an Aston Martin DB11.

Edited by zombywoof

18 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I'm still confused.  If it is a question of wanting to spend over what the FDIC insures I am not coming up with $200K.  Anway, I am obviously on a guitar forum but if it were me and I was not inclined to invest $200K and decided I deserved to treat myself to something only seen on the lifestyles of the rich and shameless, I would buy a car,  Maybe an Aston Martin DB11.

I just made another edit, to correct what I think was confusing to you...

The most I have ever spent on a guitar was $5K (my '32 12 fret L1).  And even then, I knew I was paying top dollar and must have been on puppy chow for doing it.  I guess temptation took control of me and I fell.  Just have your friend call Gruhn, Elderly, Eric Schoenberg, or the like.  I am sure they would be more than happy to help him spend as much as he wants.  Me though, I still vote for the car.  

I think I spent $4999 on a LP Personal but sent it back. No frets left after some madman bought a new file. I spent $4400 on the ‘47 L-5 I think. 

I started saving for a pre CBS Jazzmaster about a year ago. I set aside about $10k and waited for a good original example. In the meantime I bought a Squier Vintage Jazzmaster and spent several hours on the frets, board and nut. I figured it would hold me over and give me a surf fix. But it falls off my lap as bad as any Ovation. Guess a $10000 one will probably slide off just as quickly as a $350 one. (Money slips back into hip pocket)

2 minutes ago, slimt said:

Good question.   😁.  But if theres that much money to spend. Blow it on that.  

Their a private company, so there is no stock to buy.

T-shirts and duffle bags, but no peice of the company.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Go on ebay and find the seller  gibson_supreme

.....Who has the sort of guitars your friend might be interested in.

There's lots out there.  He should look at the vintage traders sites - Gruhn's,  Norman's Rare Guitars for instance - to get an idea of models, values and prices.

🎸

Edited by jdgm

If you purchase a copy of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide, they have a list of guitars that follow the market trend if you're looking strictly for investment. Otherwise, you need a lot of foresight. a crystal ball or luck to guess what the models will do.

Good luck to you and your friend.

I was at King of Prussia in  92 when Chinery was buying . Japan collectors were filling 40ft tractor trailers full to the roof of vintage guitars.   Pretty impressive to watch.  We had a table buy the front door.    

35 minutes ago, slimt said:

I was at King of Prussia in  92 when Chinery was buying . Japan collectors were filling 40ft tractor trailers full to the roof of vintage guitars.   Pretty impressive to watch.  We had a table buy the front door.    

Them were the days.  Philly guitar show was massive back then.

rct

The good news is that to cover his ground on a good investment AND a piece of history, he only needs to go to one shop- Retrofret in NYC. 

There seems to be enough publicity and hype around bursts that I think they're going to remain inflated through another generation of guitar players. Even overpaying for this one would still likely be a good investment as it doesnt look as worn down as others. 

For historical significance and probably a good investment for the Antiques Roadshow set, I'd prefer this Lloyd Loar-signed master model L5. A steal compared to any 58-60 bursts these days