Gibson Brands Forums

Rack for guitars in cases

RBSinTo

Long story short: we are having some house minor renovations and painting done, and now that we've managed to dispose of our children on kijiji, I will be storing and playing my guitars in a converted bedroom.

I have six guitars (five kept in hard cases, and one in a gig bag, when not being played) and I'd like to find a storage rack for them.

The ones I've seen on-line seem to be for multiple instruments , but each slot is too narrow to hold a guitar in its case.

If what I want doesn't exist, I'll just make one from PVC pipe and wood, but I wonder if anyone here knows of and can recommend an existing commercially-available rack that fits my needs?

Please and thanks,

RBSinTo

Just now, RBSinTo said:

Long story short: we are having some house minor renovations and painting done, and now that we've managed to dispose of our children on kijiji, I will be storing and playing my guitars in a converted bedroom.

I have six guitars (five kept in hard cases, and one in a gig bag, when not being played) and I'd like to find a storage rack for them.

The ones I've seen on-line seem to be for multiple instruments , but each slot is too narrow to hold a guitar in its case.

If what I want doesn't exist, I'll just make one from PVC pipe and wood, but I wonder if anyone here knows of and can recommend an existing commercially-available rack that fits my needs?

Please and thanks,

RBSinTo

RBS, in our son's old room, there was the 'normal' clothes hanger rod....then there was a lower rod for hanging short clothes.    I left the upper rod in so I could hang my several guitar stands, and moved the lower rod to the back of the closet so it could be a resting place for the guitar cases when I leaned them up against the wall, (so no marks on the closet wall).    You can see the area in this short video:

• Like 1

This is what I’ve got. I hold 10 hard cases in it - 7 LP sized cases and 3 Nighthawks (SG sized) - and that’s done by not using the separator pegs it comes with. Otherwise very nice looking and quality is alright. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/AS-Crafted-Products/Studio-Deluxe-Special-Edition-Guitar-Case-Rack-Mahogany-Full-Size-7-9-Cases-1435592263487.gc

Someone had this listed on Craigslist for a great price - how I came across this item. Picked it up about 5 years ago. Still in use. Glad I got it. 

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Just hang the guitars on the wall, and keep the cases in a closet.
And break the cases out for whenever you go out to a gig or an open mic night kind of thing.

Problem solved.

🙂

img_2147-jpg.49431

That's how Leslie kept her guitars.....she lives in Napa....and when the big earthquake hit there, her Hummingbird 12-String fell off the wall and broke the headstock off!

7 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

That's how Leslie kept her guitars.....she lives in Napa....and when the big earthquake hit there, her Hummingbird 12-String fell off the wall and broke the headstock off!

I was in Japan at the time. My mother told me she just walked in the house when it happened, just to watch all the nice decorative stuff women have in a curio cabinet shake and fall. The last big one I felt was when I was a senior in high school in '84. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was in Japan at the time. My mother told me she just walked in the house when it happened, just to watch all the nice decorative stuff women have in a curio cabinet shake and fall. The last big one I felt was when I was a senior in high school in '84. 

Well, of course I was in the 'Big One' in 1989, (Loma Prieta), and you couldn't be anywhere in the SF Bay Area and not felt it.

At the time my house was right on a cliff, (nice straight view of SF Bay), and I was in the back yard getting ready to watch the World Series.  Never been in one that strong before.    Was very eerie..... we could see SF from the top of our street.....and at night it was TOTALLY dark!

I just happened to be in Napa when the 6.0 quake hit in 2014.... but we were in the motor home, so we just rock 'n rolled....nothing fell, no damage.

13 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Just hang the guitars on the wall, and keep the cases in a closet.
And break the cases out for whenever you go out to a gig or an open mic night kind of thing.

Problem solved.

🙂

img_2147-jpg.49431

sparquelito,

"problem" not solved.

Guitars are kept in cases or gig bag unless, and until being played, and then go back into cases or gig bag.

Want a floor rack that will hold six guitars INSIDE THEIR CASES, and am not interested in hanging "naked" guitars on the walls.

RBSinTo

32 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Well, of course I was in the 'Big One' in 1989, (Loma Prieta), and you couldn't be anywhere in the SF Bay Area and not felt it.

At the time my house was right on a cliff, (nice straight view of SF Bay), and I was in the back yard getting ready to watch the World Series.  Never been in one that strong before.    Was very eerie..... we could see SF from the top of our street.....and at night it was TOTALLY dark!

I just happened to be in Napa when the 6.0 quake hit in 2014.... but we were in the motor home, so we just rock 'n rolled....nothing fell, no damage.

Unless you have been in a quake its hard to describe other that just the ground moves.

1 minute ago, RBSinTo said:

sparquelito,

"problem" not solved.

Guitars are kept in cases or gig bag unless, and until being played, and then go back into cases or gig bag.

Want a floor rack that will hold six guitars INSIDE THEIR CASES, and am not interested in hanging "naked" guitars on the walls.

RBSinTo

You can ship your D-28 to me and I'll guard it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

sparquelito,

"problem" not solved.

RBSinTo

My guitars are kept just as you see them in the video....except for maybe the one I practice with each morning.

I was mainly using my J-50....but my chiropractor suggested I use the Jubilee for practice to help with the bursitis in my right shoulder, (smaller body).

So, unless someone is coming over, I keep the Jubilee in it's case leaned up against the piano in the family room.

I am a lazy, visual person.  So, my 3 guitars (all acoustic) are hung on the wall. Otherwise they'd not get played. I know this because when I only had ONE  -  I kept it in a case and, for 20 years, rarely played it.   But, we're all different, with different climate environments.  If I had more than 3, I'd likely be casing some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

sparquelito,

"problem" not solved.

RBSinTo

I was just being a smart-aleck.
No offense intended.

(But I do keep all my guitars hanging on the walls. And the cases stay in a special earthquake-proof closet. )

This is my rationale;
I have found that any impediment to my playing the guitar will lessen the odds of me playing and enjoying the guitar.
When the guitars hang on the wall in easy reach, they end up being grabbed and played more often.

It's that simple, sir.
😃

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I was just being a smart-aleck.
No offense intended.

(But I do keep all my guitars hanging on the walls. And the cases stay in a special earthquake-proof closet. )

This is my rationale;
I have found that any impediment to my playing the guitar will lessen the odds of me playing and enjoying the guitar.
When the guitars hang on the wall in easy reach, they end up being grabbed and played more often.

It's that simple, sir.
😃

sparquelito,

No offense taken.

Because I prefer to keep the guitars in a humidity-controlled environment, they are always kept in cases with humidifiers unless being played.

They are within easy reach, and I have never not played because it was too much trouble to take one out of the case.

Oh.

And one more thing.

I am far too young to be called "Sir".

Instead, if you like, you can just call me what my wife calls me:

$h1thead.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

sparquelito,

No offense taken.

Because I prefer to keep the guitars in a humidity-controlled environment, they are always kept in cases with humidifiers unless being played.

They are within easy reach, and I have never not played because it was too much trouble to take one out of the case.

Oh.

And one more thing.

I am far too young to be called "Sir".

Instead, if you like, you can just call me what my wife calls me:

$h1thead.

RBSinTo

Holy moly.

She must be related to my ex-wife!
Mine called me the same thing.

And many other terrible and well-deserved names.
I earned 'em.
😑