Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood, Mahogany or Maple? Why?

Larsongs

19 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Not all but most Tops are Spruce… The 3 most popular woods used for Back & Sides..

What did you choose & why?

I'm sure its trial an error over years of trying, and it works (sounds good) or it doesn't (sounds awful). 

But if you insist go ahead and build one with a Balsa or Pine wood top and hear with it sounds like.

For electrics with pups I am sure the body wood could be many more types that what is used on acoustics. After you stomp on your distortion pedal can you really hear all the nuances of Mahogany?

I've owned J-45s in all three species you mentioned. I hated the hog one. I thought it was too "muddy" sounding. The rosewood was fantastic. Unfortunately, due to a crack and the headstock, I sold it. But that would be my choice should I purchased another J-45. I still own the maple one. I liked it for it's bright tone. But, since I got rid of the rosewood one, I don't have the trade off with the different tones. So, the brightness is starting to annoy me.

I do have a Guild D-55 (rosewood). I consider it the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I had a 1980 one that I loved. When it needed a re-fret, I sold it. I bought and sold 3 more, until I found this one. Unfortunately, the bridge is lifting (I've seen a lot of Guilds with lifting bridges--some were new on the showroom floor) and I'm afraid that when I have it repaired the guitar won't sound the same. 

• Like 1

I've got one of each.

Martin D-28, Gibson j-45, and Guild GAD jf-30.

The Martin sounds like an orchestra, the Gibson like a Quartet, and the Guild like the Quartet amplified.

I like them all, and since I don't pretend to be a musical maven, usually just play them based on which particular case I open at the time.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

A relative newbie, I can’t say I picked my woods, I just kinda fell into them. I spontaneously bought my j 45 studio (sitka/walnut) because it was the best sounding guitar in our Guitar Center that evening. I did luck out for a first guitar and buying blind. It is a great balanced sounding guitar.  

My sitka/maple DIF was bought used on line, so never played it, just lusting after one. I hoped and trusted it would sound as good as the demo videos (and actually better, grin.)  

However, a few months after we stopped in GC for some strings and there was a fellow noodling around on a used Taylor 324 builder’s edition.  Full disclosure, Taylors are NOT my taste, something about their timbre with all those trebly highs attacks my 1970s metal annihilated ears like finger nails on a blackboard.  Anyway, this one sounded really nice and rich.  I had to do a double-take when I asked what he was playing.  I heard him say “Taylor” but figured I misheard.  

I mention it here because the 324 has a Mahogany top over an Urban Ash body/sides.   After the fellow left, I played it myself and was kinda taken with it.  I went home and found myself thinking about it, and couldn’t shake it.  Always a sign something got to me.  Went back to GC to try it again, thinking it must have been a fluke.  Nope, still sounded great.

I nearly bit, but psyched myself out rationalizing the discount wasn’t that great, and while it’s nicer entry level, it’s still pretty mass produced.   So I hesitated again, thinking I could pick up a new one on sale some time for about the same price.  

I put it back once more, went home, then started second guessing myself after reading a bunch of posts here about how when you meet a guitar you really like grab it if you can, since you can’t guarantee the next one will sound the same, and caught a bad case of FOMO.

I  went back a couple of days later and yeah,  it’s gonna be the one that got away.  

Edited by PrairieDog

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What did you choose & why?

For readers without knowledge of these woods it's obviously a good starter to count Gumbinos excellent 4-headed test in here. 

I like RBSinTo have the 3 sorts spread over Gs and Ms and enjoy them all, , , not least the possibility to circulate a lot

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

I've got one of each.

Martin D-28, Gibson j-45, and Guild GAD jf-30.

The Martin sounds like an orchestra, the Gibson like a Quartet, and the Guild like the Quartet amplified.

` Wowww ´

Does the amped quartet play in mono ?

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

I put it back once more, went home, then started second guessing myself after reading a bunch of posts here about how when you meet a guitar you really like grab it if you can, since you can’t guarantee the next one will sound the same, and caught a bad case of FOMO.

I  went back a couple of days later and yeah,  it’s gonna be the one that got away.  

Euuuuchhh. .

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I do have a Guild D-55 (rosewood). I consider it the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I had a 1980 one that I loved. When it needed a re-fret, I sold it. I bought and sold 3 more, until I found this one. Unfortunately, the bridge is lifting (I've seen a lot of Guilds with lifting bridges--some were new on the showroom floor) and I'm afraid that when I have it repaired the guitar won't sound the same. 

Weird dilemma there - "if it's broken don't fix it".                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I'd like to know how that case develops. . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Weird dilemma there - "if it's broken don't fix it".                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I'd like to know how that case develops. . 

I had a Guild JF-55 that sounded great. It had a very deep warm sound and was a real cannon. Bridge started to lift. I had it repaired. It lost all it's volume and a lot of the low end. Sold.

What- no  birch?  I am a big fan although granted you have to go back close to 85 years to find it a mainstay on at least Gibson guitars.  But I have been willing to make the trip back and it is well worth the price of admission.

Of the backs and rims you mention though I am all in with mahogany.  Could not say if it is the wood which is the main ingredient in the stew but the two old Gibsons I own which have come the closest to being a life altering experience sport that lumber.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

What- no  birch?  I am a big fan although granted you have to go back close to 85 years to find it a mainstay on at least Gibson guitars.  But I have been willing to make the trip back and it is well worth the price of admission.

Of the backs and rims you mention though I am all in with mahogany.  Could not say if it is the wood which is the main ingredient in the stew but the two old Gibsons I own which have come the closest to being a life altering experience sport that lumber.

I didn’t mention all the Woods Guitars are made of.. I chose the 3 most common.. Not saying there aren’t equally as good Woods.. Just picked the top 3..

I own a 50 year old D-35 & a 20 year old J-160E & love them both… Just curious what all you guys & gals chose & why..

Feel free to post whatever Woods you prefer & why… Pics too..

I like the sound of Maple acoustics in larger guitars. I've had small body maple and did not care for it. I would like to try a Nick Lucas Maple 12 fret with an aged top (may be my next M2M). Currently in Maple acoustic I have Gibson SJ200, L5, Super400, DIF, and a '41 Regal Recording King.

53193811603_b57dfa77be_b.jpg 53193645185_63929911b4_b.jpg 52956736844_b7f79c5710_b.jpg DIF 2

52722673055_6ba1d0155d_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

I really prefer the tone of Rosewood but had issues finding some Gibson's I like. I went through quite a few but like the ones I currently have. I have Gibson '42 SJ Banner (aged top), NL 12fret, M2M L00 12 fret with aged top, Martin HD40MS

42 SJ Banner

51899179702_d47885f772_z.jpg

52755732188_b74aa97b9f_z.jpg

Edited by Dave F

Looking at my three "best" guitars, while all have mahogany backs what they also share is some of the most delicate back braces I have ever seen.  They are carved tall and thin stating at barely 1/4" and tapering to maybe 1/16".  It begs the question of whether it is the wood I am responding to or the fact that as little mass as possible is added to the back.  

I like the Gibson thump from an old hog. I also found myself liking the all hog combination. I went through a lot of guitars looking for that special sound. I'm content with my current group and I'm currently working on one. Gibson '52 J45, '32 L00 RI, '68 J50 and all hog '42 LG1, '16 L00 and a Martin CS 000-14.

s-l1600 (2) 52741519194_331b287353_b.jpg 1968 j50 adj 1 52 J45

53183716400_f039bde6fa_z.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I had a Guild JF-55 that sounded great. It had a very deep warm sound and was a real cannon. Bridge started to lift. I had it repaired. It lost all it's volume and a lot of the low end. Sold.

Even weirder - things are simply upside down where you live.

The broken guitar got fixed and lost value, was then sold, , , only to be replaced by broken twin, which is broken too and must stay that way to be a keeper. 

I'm sure you have both feet solidly planted on the ceiling right now - and enjoyed a splendid breakfast this evening. . 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

They all have their place.

I like walnut. too.

A very calm, well-balanced, nice and mature comment. 

I can't really speak about walnut, but would like to. Only played 1 - a Martin dread at an acoustic guitar show. Which means nothing could be heard at all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Okay, the circa 25 % sound rising through the big-hall-buzz seemed fine. .   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

A very calm, well-balanced, nice and mature comment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

I'm a legend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1