Gibson Brands Forums

Facebook "damaged" guitars giveaway scam

Scott Adkins

2 minutes ago, Pinch said:

No offense, but that looks like a textbook "don't click" link.

I'm on a work computer I could care less if it gets a virus. What are they going to find out I'm not really Sgt. Pepper and my real name is Joel. Oh no.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

Work computers are great that way.

Always keep as much dubious browser history and as many cookies as possible for when you quit. It's a lot more satisfying that way.

I like cookies especially Peanut Butter cookies. 

• Like 2

I clicked or opened something I shouldn't have a couple of weeks ago.  All of a sudden, I started getting a dozen spam emails and 3 or 4  spam phone calls a day.

I sure wish the FCC or FBI or someone would track down the culprits and take their computers away.   It would seem it could be a nice way to train their Probies.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I clicked or opened something I shouldn't have a couple of weeks ago.  All of a sudden, I started getting a dozen spam emails and 3 or 4  spam phone calls a day.

I sure wish the FCC or FBI or someone would track down the culprits and take their computers away.   It would seem it could be a nice way to train their Probies.   

Ugh, all these e-mails... I used to at least open strange/unexpected e-mails, if not click on any links. These days, straight into the trash they go.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Look at all the other injustices in the world we have not solved yet. So it will be a thing forever like sexism, racism, hate , greed ect.

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Because Rights.  Be careful what you stand up for.

rct

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:44 PM, Scott Adkins said:

Um, a little warning next time would be nice regarding that link. I wrongly assumed it would lead to an article about said scam, and NOT lead directly to the scam site.

(I had to provide a TON of my personal info there, after clicking that link,  so I could get me a free guitar too. Wish me luck!)  🤪

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Haha 1

So, you can't express your opinion on the internet, but people can send you spam all day long?   Sum Ting Wong !  Or what we use to call Cognitive Dissonance.  For some reason, when Fax machines first came out - they were inundated with spam.  You'd get unwanted ads printing out on their own and have to sort through to find legitimate transmissions you were sent.    But people complained and after a couple of years - it stopped.  Which, logically, you would have expected.   Maybe  as Sgt Pepper suggests - this  is the new normal. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had an "on again off again" relationship with Facebook for a long time.

On one hand, there are old friends and even family that I could keep in touch with and share photos with.
Facebook was good for that.
Especially when most people my age use FB, but can't be bothered to send an email, write a letter, or pick up the phone.

On the other hand, there was such a deluge of spam, politics, misinformation, disinformation and complete nonsense that it drove me crazy.
(And it tempted me to post my true feelings about the goings on in and around 38.8899° N, 77.0091° W, which is not a good thing. I don't want the US Secret Service knocking my door down in the middle of the night.)

So I deleted my FB account once and for all last year, and life is much better now.
😑

• Like 1

they are popping up for almost everything.

Gibson less pauls for and J45s for 99 dollars!! Going out of business sale!

Sure, that's the ticket!

Bose S1 speakers, with a picture of an S1 sitting next to a pers where in the photo the S1 is about 10x the size of what they really are, for 59 bucks on an over stock deal

Oh Definitely Legit! heck at that price Lets buy 2!

all scams, just chuckle and scroll past them

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I thought TikTok was for women and children ...   I guess the more things change the more they stay the same !

I just want to do some Netflix and chill with Jennifer Aniston. 

• Haha 1