Gibson Brands Forums

How old will you be on your next birthday?

Mr. Gibson

53 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Hah !  May 28th  !    But, apparently Digger is taking home the gold. Medal. Plated.  Made Offshore.     

I remember the strange feeling - before I retired,  being in meetings and looking around and realizing I was always the oldest person in the room.  But, suddenly, I was the youngest person at the Shuffleboard tournaments ! 

FYP, that's EXACTLY how I felt my last few years...... I had to attend a "staff meeting" every Monday.... and over time, I was the oldest guy in the room.... people younger than me were retiring.    The "staff" was 12 people....I attended them for most of my 39 years with the company.... and I saw significant turnover through the years, (I was 30 when I started attending the staff meetings).  

What I found is that technology and terminology moved on from me, (I didn't know what they were talking about half the time...and if I did, I didn't understand how to implement it!).

I always said the next big "life event" after Retirement isn't all that enjoyable!   But I do love Retirement!

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Hah !  May 28th  !    But, apparently Digger is taking home the gold. Medal. Plated.  Made Offshore.     

I remember the strange feeling - before I retired,  being in meetings and looking around and realizing I was always the oldest person in the room.  But, suddenly, I was the youngest person at the Shuffleboard tournaments ! 

Damn, I feel like a bridesmaid, but never a bride (that’s only on days  that I feel like being a woman)…..I wouldn’t be surprised if Digger saw Washington crossing the Delaware.

4 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Damn, I feel like a bridesmaid, but never a bride (that’s only on days  that I feel like being a woman)…..I wouldn’t be surprised if Digger saw Washington crossing the Delaware.

Thanks MP I really needed that~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Actually apart from a few minor things that may slow me down from time to time I’m still going pretty strong!

Besides, I’m too busy to die~

Digger,

Well said.

My rationale is that I can't die yet because I want to see how everything turns out.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Hard to be miserable in this world.... regardless, each of us has more than the richest person on earth had throughout history.

Yep.

We're spoiled, and the following generations are even worse. When I watch documentaries about WW2 and Britain and France and some of the conditions that were normal, even the early 1900's in New York City, New Orleans and such I'm reminded just how tough those people were.

The reset is going to be hard on some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Hard to be miserable in this world.... regardless, each of us has more than the richest person on earth had throughout history.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Yep.

We're spoiled, and the following generations are even worse. When I watch documentaries about WW2 and Britain and France and some of the conditions that were normal, even the early 1900's in New York City, New Orleans and such I'm reminded just how tough those people were.

You guys should read this book:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Murph said:

Yep.

What's the reset?  Some kind of revolution?  Y'all are going to need some George Washingtons and Thomas Jeffersons, and all you have is George Jeffersons.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Murph said:

Yep.

I remember visiting the Custis Estate when my son was young....he was marveling at the grandeur of the place and how "lucky" the people who lived there must have been...I pointed out that they couldn't switch on a radio and listen to whatever kind of music they liked at any time of the day....they couldn't even get a cold glass of lemonade on a hot day...and many died young from a disease that is easily treated these days.

Similar experience - visited the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.  Bowled over by the grandeur.  Months later, we were able to process it and realized things like - their kitchen didn't have the capabilities ours did.  Laundry was a major chore for them - not for us.  They didn't even have Permanent Press clothes, let alone Velcro shoe closures. They had buttons on their shoes.  The list goes on - cold and damp in many parts of the estate, only selected areas had walk-in fireplaces.    Watching a series  "Copper"  on 1860s  NYPD and the Irish who were drawn into it.  If the 'quality of life' is only HALF exaggerated - I would never have survived there.    Our well-loved "Greatest Generation" -  was raised by a generation that was tougher, and made them tougher.  Depression, WWI, etc.   And, the generation that raised the generation that raised The Greatest Generation - was tougher still.    Boomers, Millennials, GenX... we're heading in the other direction ! 

3 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Similar experience - visited the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.  Bowled over by the grandeur.  Months later, we were able to process it and realized things like - their kitchen didn't have the capabilities ours did.  Laundry was a major chore for them - not for us.  They didn't even have Permanent Press clothes, let alone Velcro shoe closures. They had buttons on their shoes.  The list goes on - cold and damp in many parts of the estate, only selected areas had walk-in fireplaces.    Watching a series  "Copper"  on 1860s  NYPD and the Irish who were drawn into it.  If the 'quality of life' is only HALF exaggerated - I would never have survived there.    Our well-loved "Greatest Generation" -  was raised by a generation that was tougher, and made them tougher.  Depression, WWI, etc.   And, the generation that raised the generation that raised The Greatest Generation - was tougher still.    Boomers, Millennials, GenX... we're heading in the other direction ! 

Yes....and it's good to realize our advantages..... regardless of all the bltchen' we do, we have it pretty sweet.

I suspect I'll be gone before the Millennials and GenXers give it all away.