Gibson Brands Forums

Did you know . . . ?

10PoundLester

Did you know that the "W" in 10W-40 or 5W-30 motor oil designation doesn't stand for weight?

The W  actually refers to ‘Winter’.

The viscosity of motor oil is subject to temperature change. A single viscosity rate (SAE 30 for instance) only represents the flow of oil when heated, but doesn't address the need to start your car on a cold winter morning. The oil will flow more slowly, which is different to when it’s heated, so this viscosity rating is important too.

The number before ‘W’ represents the viscosity at engine startup, while the number following the ‘W’ represents the viscosity during engine operation.

I'm gonna shut up now.

😐

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sherlocke Holmes was incredibly knowledgeable about those subjects he needed to aid in his detecting pursuits, and abysmally ignornant of anything else. This was because he believed the brain, like a cupboard or set of drawers only had a finite space and if he filled his with what he considered to be useless information, he wouldn't have room for the knowledge he considered important.

RBSinTo

Something I picked up from 'WW2 From the Front Lines' (TV doc)

Russian civilians cheered and welcomed the Nazi invaders (initially) as they rode in. There is film footage showing this. It came as a shock when I watched it. They thought they were being liberated from Stalin's oppression.

It didn't last long. Hitler decreed it was to be a war of annihilation, which means wipe out the civilians too.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

The word 'ruth' is more than a name, its an adjective, but is very rarely heard. We still have the term 'ruthless' which of course means 'without ruth'. 

Eg: A quote from Bronte's Jane Eyre:  "under her light eyebrows glimmered an eye devoid of ruth"

carl definition: a peasant or man of low birth.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Something I picked up from 'WW2 From the Front Lines' (TV doc)

Russian civilians cheered and welcomed the Nazi invaders (initially) as they rode in. There is film footage showing this. It came as a shock when I watched it. They thought they were being liberated from Stalin's oppression.

It didn't last long. Hitler decreed it was to be a war of annihilation, which means wipe out the civilians too.

m-e.,

If you read about Soviet Russia after the Revolution, Nazi Germany, and the Second World War, this occurrance comes as no surprise. 

RBSinTo

A saucer of white vinegar is an excellent overnight deodorant.

True story -

In the late 80s one of my beginner guitar students had the bright idea of Loctiting his machine heads after he got the guitar in tune.

You can guess how I found this out.  

I don't know if the Loctite was red and I wouldn't have had any brake cleaner anyway.

Edited by jdgm

On 12/20/2023 at 6:05 AM, sparquelito said:

Did you know that the "W" in 10W-40 or 5W-30 motor oil designation doesn't stand for weight?

The W  actually refers to ‘Winter’.

The viscosity of motor oil is subject to temperature change. A single viscosity rate (SAE 30 for instance) only represents the flow of oil when heated, but doesn't address the need to start your car on a cold winter morning. The oil will flow more slowly, which is different to when it’s heated, so this viscosity rating is important too.

The number before ‘W’ represents the viscosity at engine startup, while the number following the ‘W’ represents the viscosity during engine operation.

I'm gonna shut up now.

😐

On a similar note, the WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nimrod was an ancient mythological Sumerian King and a great hunter. It wasn't until an old Bugs Bunny episode where Bugs mockingly called the hunter Elmer Fudd "nimrod",, that the word came to be an insult that insinuates  someone is dumb or incompetent.