Gibson Brands Forums

KISS - You either get it or you don't.

RichCI

I get it, I never liked it.

To me, when I started listening Hard Rock/Metal circa 1981 there was Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, AC/DC's Back in Black, Judas Priest's Brittish Steel, Motorhead's Ace of Spades, Metallica's Kill'em All and then Iron Maiden and more super kick *** music. KISS could not compete with that on my book.

I get it' date=' I never liked it.

To me, when I started listening Hard Rock/Metal circa 1981 there was Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, AC/DC's Back in Black, Judas Priest's Brittish Steel, Motorhead's Ace of Spades, Metallica's Kill'em All and then Iron Maiden and more super kick *** music. KISS could not compete with that on my book.

[/quote']

Yes, but when youre 13 in 1975, Kiss was the sh1t man. I'm just sayin for me.

Yes' date=' but when youre 13 in 1975, Kiss was the sh1t man. I'm just sayin for me.[/quote']

Yep, in a way that's is my point.

Timing is everything, it really is.

I used to dislike KISS because of a friend of mine, (and the disco years also) but I do understand they were a powerful influence to a lot of people and I appreciate that.

That's why I thought the Carlos Santana bashing thread was ridicul.ous, you can't look back 40 years ago and say a reknown artist sucks. (his music is not my cup of tea) If you don't personally like it that's fine but if one is not there at the time it is hard to understand. Timing is everything.

Yes' date=' but when youre 13 in 1975, Kiss was the sh1t man. I'm just sayin for me.[/quote']

I agree timing is everything. I was 17 in 1975 and thought they were a teeny bobber band. Still do.

So it goes.

I don't like KISS but there are much worse bands out there. I consider today's KISS more or less a product.

One thing I do know is that "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" is one of the worst and cheesiest songs I've ever heard. ESPECIALLY the stupid speech Paul Stanley gives in the middle. I can rock out to or at least enjoy "Rock and Roll all Night" and "God Of Thunder," but when "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" comes on all I can do is turn it off.

Their first three albums hold there own. I like the music but the lyrics are juvenile. Some of the Seattle bands of the early 90s were huge Kiss fans. Thayil from Soundgarden, Osborne from the Melvins, and Cantrell from Alice In Chains all point to Kiss and Black Sabbath as big influences

Their first three albums hold there own. I like the music but the lyrics are juvenile. Some of the Seattle bands of the early 90s were huge Kiss fans. Thayil from Soundgarden' date=' Osborne from the Melvins, and Cantrell from Alice In Chains all point to Kiss and Black Sabbath as big influences[/quote']

Yes, I've read that KISS has influenced many bands. I still don't get it. Now Black Sabbath is a totally different story...

A big NO for me. Maybe I grew up in a different part of the country but back then it was more Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, etc

No offense we just never listened to guys who used more makeup than our girlfriends.

For me, when I started getting into KISS around the 4th grade, they were a big kids band. Most of the little kids in my class were into KC and the Sunshine Band, Shawn Cassidy, Star Wars, Muppets and maybe G.I. Joe.

Me and a select few of bad asses in 4th grade were KISS fans =P~

Archived