Gibson Brands Forums

USA price increased

gibsonmad

I noticed that Gibson USA (but I think custom shop too) have increased the price ...somebody can tell me why?  you can control on website.

In Italy for a ES335 model plus 400/500 eu  maybe  for eyes examination of quality check control people?

I am completaly disagree , there aren't reason ...as with the old increases.

Same guitar, same hw, same pickup, same polish.

Edited by gibsonmad

1 hour ago, gibsonmad said:

I noticed that Gibson USA (but I think custom shop too) have increased the price ...somebody can tell me why?  you can control on website.

In Italy for a ES335 model plus 400/500 eu  maybe  for eyes examination of quality check control people?

Because they can, and they know they will still sell. Simple as that. We as the peanut galley do not get to set their prices. Some think high priced guitars are fine cause there are those that can afford it. If you can't Gibson does not care, and you are free to buy something in your price range.  I was just discussing this with Prairie Dog in the Watch Case Candy thread just a bit ago.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, gibsonmad said:

And all that stuff costs more this year.  Have you noticed how much more you are paying for less TP than before the pandemic?  For groceries they can shrink the amount in the packages and keep the prices the same, for a while.  Guitars not so much.   All the stuff that goes into making a guitar, including the wages, had gotten more expensive, just like that can of soup.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Another clear indicator that “Bidenomics” is working to control inflation.  All kidding aside, I’m glad I have all the Gibsons I want at the moment.  Any other models I’m interested in have been discontinued so I’d have to buy used.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Another clear indicator that “Bidenomics” is working to control inflation.  All kidding aside, I’m glad I have all the Gibsons I want at the moment.  Any other models I’m interested in have been discontinued so I’d have to buy used.

Just gotta say, inflation has dropped back down now.  Just an article today pointing out the trouble is the greedy Marketers figure people are already paying 7.00 for a box of cereal, so let’s let them keep doing it, even though the raw ingredients prices are down and the supply chain has loosened.  

Price increases have nothing to do with a current government, same argument for more than 100yrs, want some tea?

all prices go up yearly regardless if JFK was in. 
check out a price of a car in 2022 then today in 2024, poof, in “old days” cars increased in Sept.

Gibson seems to increase in new yrs/spring. 

Now i just have to figure out how to pay for bread and milk , how much is a gallon of gas?

Edited by Eracer_Team

When the gas prices go up, everything follows suit.  The price of gas is slowly dropping after they hammered  us post lock-down.

We're actually drilling more oil than ever before, you just don't hear much about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/31/us-oil-production-has-hit-record-under-biden-he-hardly-mentions-it/

On 2/2/2024 at 7:16 PM, PrairieDog said:

And all that stuff costs more this year.  Have you noticed how much more you are paying for less TP than before the pandemic?  For groceries they can shrink the amount in the packages and keep the prices the same, for a while.  Guitars not so much.   All the stuff that goes into making a guitar, including the wages, had gotten more expensive, just like that can of soup.  

It was pointed out to me that in addition to 'shrinkflation' there is also 'skimpflation' to watch out for. This is where they reduce the avocado content in guacamole from 80% to 77% or the amount of pork in a sausage from 97% to 90%. This is more insidious as its harder to spot. Maybe easier to taste though. 

These practices are not unlawful in most parts of the world.

Though last year Carrefour in France labelled shelves warning shoppers that certain groceries have shrunk in size. That was a a nice gesture they didn't have to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

It was pointed out to me that in addition to 'shrinkflation' there is also 'skimpflation' to watch out for. This is where they reduce the avocado content in guacamole from 80% to 77% or the amount of pork in a sausage from 97% to 90%. This is more insidious as its harder to spot. Maybe easier to taste though. 

These practices are not unlawful in most parts of the world.

Though last year Carrefour in France labelled shelves warning shoppers that certain groceries have shrunk in size. That was a a nice gesture they didn't have to do.

Nod, all true.  And you are right, the skimp is the sneakiest.  Sometimes you can catch it if the ingredient order changes, like the filler is the first one now. I got tipped off to the shrinkage when I noticed  the TP no longer filled the holder, used be tight edge to edge, now slides around. I was so ticked I actually weighed an old roll and a new one. This is what I got: 

U082GUNb.jpg   cZrnfPmb.jpg

And we paid nearly 5 bucks more for the pack, head-shake. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Sad 1

Luckily I already have all the Gibsons I need, I'll just get one more 335 and then I'll move on to buying only oriental guitars.

I don't accept these conditions anymore, they will sell them to dentists and lawyers.

12 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod, all true.  And you are right, the skimp is the sneakiest.  Sometimes you can catch it if the ingredient order changes, like the filler is the first one now. I got tipped off to the shrinkage when I noticed  the TP no longer filled the holder, used be tight edge to edge, now slides around. I was so ticked I actually weighed an old roll and a new one. This is what I got: 

U082GUNb.jpg   cZrnfPmb.jpg

And we paid nearly 5 bucks more for the pack, head-shake. 

Did you notice that they increased the diameter of the cardboard tube in the centre of the rolls a few years ago?

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, PrairieDog said:

Its called greed. It all started a few years back. What happened to provoke it all? A germ that took the world by storm, and everyone who make goods raised their prices. Items on fast food restaurant menus that were on the dollar menu were suddenly increased to five dollars. Toilet Paper became hard to find. Any one have covid? I did, and none of my symptoms were uncontrolledly trips to paint the toilet. Its a respiratory disease that's why. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its called greed. It all started a few years back. What happened to provoke it all? A germ that took the world by storm, and everyone who make goods raised their prices. Items on fast food restaurant menus that were on the dollar menu were suddenly increased to five dollars. Toilet Paper became hard to find. Any one have covid? I did, and none of my symptoms were uncontrolledly trips to paint the toilet. Its a respiratory disease that's why. 

Well, that is the most basic result of the “free market” certain folks are so fond of:  unfettered inflation.   

Covid shut down the supply chain, no one was in the factories, or at the warehouses/harbors, so goods either couldn’t get shipped, or the ingredients/parts to make the goods weren’t available.  

Limited goods + high demand = high prices and the opportunity to gouge customers.  

Outright greed was the prices that were jacked on items that predated the Covid issue, but used as an excuse make extra coin off stuff the store bought a year before.

And despicable greed is rampant now, as the supply chain has recovered, goods and parts are mostly readily available again, but prices aren’t dropping equivalently back to 2020 levels.  

Edited by PrairieDog

All the car dealers around here still want COVID money for their used junk. 

I swear I'm going to fly to Augusta, Georgia and drive back in a 1986 F-150 4x4, regular cab, 8 foot bed, with 300-6 and a granny low 4 speed. Rubber mats on the floor too.

Maybe I'll end up paying $15,000 for it. That's better than $60,000 for something I can't check my own transmission fluid in.

• Upvote 1

When i saw the price of the new studio "modern", i was really surprised.
Ok, the prices go up each year but here, you had a traditional or a classic a few years ago, not so long ago.

Gibson is not the only one. The ec-1000 from LTD or the Eclipse from ESP increased sharply.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:39 AM, ksdaddy said:

All the car dealers around here still want COVID money for their used junk. 

I swear I'm going to fly to Augusta, Georgia and drive back in a 1986 F-150 4x4, regular cab, 8 foot bed, with 300-6 and a granny low 4 speed. Rubber mats on the floor too.

Maybe I'll end up paying $15,000 for it. That's better than $60,000 for something I can't check my own transmission fluid in.

What a great truck! Petty efficient with the 6. My 2006 Honda Accord EX 6 will be the last new car I will ever buy, for many, many reasons. I have a 1970 Chevy  Chevelle 4 door 250 Turbo Thrift inline 6 with 56K on the OD,  and numbers matching original that my grandma bought new. Super easy to work on. I also have a 1884 GMC 2500 Vandura Explorer conversion with a 307 5.0  8 with overdrive. It was bought new by my father and I restored it about 19 years ago. (I still need to reupholster the interior) I love it too! No chips, no electronic ignition, and naturally asperated (both are two barrels). Spark, fuel, and air baby!!

Paid $2100 CAD + tax (12%) for my Les Paul Traditional in 2011. Today a Standard 50's is $4000 +12% tax. When I was shopping for my first new "expensive" guitar in 1988 there was a Les Paul Standard for $1575+ tax (7%), and a Custom for $1800. I wanted a Les Paul but decided to buy my American Standard Strat tagged at $1000 +tax. The dealer ate the tax and threw in a pack of strings.  The same Strat was $600 +tax US in Michigan but I would have had to pay $ exchange and import duty so not sure if I would have saved much buying in the US.

Edited by codename

On 2/2/2024 at 7:47 PM, SteveFord said:

Prices will drop when the demand does.

Think so? I don't. Used stuff maybe? Not new ____________________ (insert makers name here).

Edited by Sgt. Pepper