Gibson Brands Forums

You Guys In London Are Getting Your Own Garage

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Looking.. Its fairly near Leicester Square and Bond Street stations.

Actually scratch that.. I looked closer, its between Oxford Circus and Tottenham Ct Rd

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kidblast said:

unless you say it like "GAY-RAHG" it's not a real garage... 

you brits talk kinda funny,

No we speak  English!!  [cool]

'GAAH-RARGE' for instance [wink]

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be visiting London on August so it's definitely on the agenda. I visited the one in Nashville in May last year along with Third man records. Now this year I want to visit both on London and it looks like they're a 9 minute walk from each other.

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

No we speak  English!!  [cool]

'GAAH-RARGE' for instance [wink]

The English put the letter 'u' where it doesn't need to be. 

We spell color with no 'u' and it works out fine.

Why does it need to be colour? I remember getting Dark Side and thinking why is color spelt wrong on this album? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

You see, it all went downhill when we moved away from this. I had to study this at school for English Literature. Its Chaucer BTW (Chaw-Sur). 

But for to tellen yow of his array,
His hors weren goode, but he was nat gay;
Of fustian he wered a gypon
Al bismótered with his habergeon;
For he was late y-come from his viage,
And wente for to doon his pilgrymage.

• Like 1

Yes I had to read "Wife Of Bath" for A level...and plenty of Shakespeare.

Etymology; the U in 'colour' is from the French.   'Color' is Spanish.

Many English words have their origins/antecedents in French, Latin or both.

[cool]

On 2/27/2024 at 7:21 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The English put the letter 'u' where it doesn't need to be. 

We spell color with no 'u' and it works out fine.

Why does it need to be colour? I remember getting Dark Side and thinking why is color spelt wrong on this album? 

Chicago (The American Band) used a "u" in "Colour My World".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Yes I had to read "Wife Of Bath" for A level...and plenty of Shakespeare.

Etymology; the U in 'colour' is from the French.   'Color' is Spanish.

Many English words have their origins/antecedents in French, Latin or both.

[cool]

It really is a bastardized language with all kinds of crazy grammatical rules that sources words from all over the place - including, in addition to Latin and  French, Spanish and German.  No wonder it's so difficult for non-native speakers to learn.

13 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

It really is a bastardized language with all kinds of crazy grammatical rules that sources words from all over the place - including, in addition to Latin and  French, Spanish and German.  No wonder it's so difficult for non-native speakers to learn.

Yes, we like to keep it that way 😄

• Haha 2

I took 2 years of French in high school. I never want to conjugate verbs ever again. I lived in California and it didn't click back then that maybe I should taken, oh . . . Spanish. And unlike that song, I have been to Spain.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I took 2 years of French in high school. I never want to conjugate verbs ever again. I lived in California and it didn't click back then that maybe I should taken, oh . . . Spanish. And unlike that song, I have been to Spain.

I was a bright kid, had a copy of Winnie the Pooh in Latin I would compare to the English version. Was made to take french lessons in elementary school, took spanish in Jr. high, Started german but dropped it instantaneously.  Never got competency in any language to pass the College requirement. That damn conjugating and trying to remember the gender of tables tripped me up every time.  

So, desperate to get the credits I needed, I signed up for Chinese.  I figured it was so hard the bar would be set low, and I would really have to “work” at it, which usually meant at least a passing grade for me.  

Fish to water! The language makes total sense…you just add in different words/letters in the right places in the sentence to change tenses/genders/negatives.  “Hao” = good “Bu Hao” = bad.  Easy peasy.  (Okay there are also needed tone marks but I can’t add them here.) If you are at all musical, the tones are no problem, it’s like singing.  The characters are icons, so once you memorize the logic of the different elements you can usually parse out what the word might be.  In context in the sentence and you can usually deduce what it means if you don’t recognize it right off.  

Switched majors from philosophy to Chinese for a while and ended up with a Chinese minor.  That was fun.  

I’ve lost most of it of course now, but I can still say “hello” and beg for change, if I ever find myself needy in Beijing… 

Edited by PrairieDog

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Same here, except I took German. In retrospect, that was a bad choice. Today, I probably know more Spanish than German due to regular exposure to it here in Southern California, and, due to an Irish-Catholic upbringing and years involved in science, engineering, and research, more Latin than either of them. 

35 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Just think, if we lost the Revolutionary War, we'd be speaking English today.

But it would be the Queens English and not this b-astardized version we now speak. And if the US did not enter WWII who would be speaking German?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I probably know more Spanish than German due to regular exposure to it here in Southern California, 

You mean North Mexico?

Here is SC I am tired of being called Sweetie, Darling and Hun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is SC I am tired of being called Sweetie, Darling and Hun.

Bless your heart! 😉 They do use those terms a lot in the south, which may occasionally be annoying for California natives, but on the positive side, I appreciate the general civility and politeness you often encounter in the south, so I guess for me at least, it all balances out. YMMV.

3 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Bless your heart! 😉 They do use those terms a lot in the south, which may occasionally be annoying for California natives, but on the positive side, I appreciate the general civility and politeness you often encounter in the south, so I guess for me at least, it all balances out. YMMV.

Polite but most are racists. And you damn well know who they voted for. It’s on their hats, t-shirt, bumper stickers and flags they fly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1