Gibson Brands Forums

Overcoming my irrational fear of the "truss rod"

I admit it. Until yesterday, I have always had an irrational fear of adjusting the Truss Rods on my guitars/bass. I assume this began in my youth, after hearing multiple people warn of the potential damage a novice could do to a guitar if they "mess with them wrong." I had always been fortunate enough to have talented/experienced musician friends who would do truss adjustments for me, (when and if needed), especially before I set up a new guitar, after making changes to an existing guitar, or when something seemed a bit "off" with any of them over time. Even though I watched them each time, they were so fast at determining if an adjustment was needed, and equally as fast while adjusting the truss rod, I really never learned the process beyond the concept. I literally took me longer to remove and then replace the truss rod cover, than it took them to adjust it. More often than not, no adjustment was even needed. I never even owned a capo, which I thought was required for this operation. (I just learned that this can be done without the normal type of capo used while playing, btw.).  I remember when a friend used a Bicycle brand playing card, while I fretted the low E on the first fret and he fretted it on the twelfth, to do a "half a$$ed gap test", because we lacked the proper tools one night at a party. 

Since I have started to  expand my horizons and delve deeper into guitar mechanics, beyond knowing just the basics required to play one, I figured I'd better put on my big boy pants and learn things. As with all things mechanical, having the correct tools from the start helps a novice learn faster, (while nearly eliminating head ache and heart ache). I chose to purchase a few "kits" from Musicnomad that were specific to the jobs I wanted to accomplish. I really liked the work mat and neck rest I had been using for awhile, which they make, so I thought I would stick with their products/tools. (MusicNomad MN207 Premium Instrument Work Mat & Cradle Cube Neck Support)  So, I bought their  Precision 6 pc. Guitar Setup Gauge Tool Set - Plus 24 pg. Instructional Booklet and Storage Case and their 6 pc. Guitar String Change Tool Kit with Winder, Cutter, Puller, Tune-It, Hex Wrench & Screwdriver (MN218).  Their gear is not cheap, but it works great, has solid reviews, and comes with detailed instructions (including additional online resources). I had grabbed a quality capo a few years ago for playing purposes, but the set up kit from Musicnomad came with a simple tool which acts as a one string capo, so I used their capo tool. I already had a Petersen clip-on strobe tuner, the guitar specific truss rod wrenches needed, and the guitar specific tools (when/if needed) to adjust actions. I diligently followed their simple/descriptive step by step instructions, and found their tools to be well labeled, sturdy, and effective. 

As of now, I have adjusted two of my guitar's truss rods without issue or confusion. (I also re-did setups on both of them too, which only required minimal adjustments for each of them.) I had already done an extensive set up on my new Squire hot rod project, save for the neck relief (which I knew needed a bit of adjusting), so it only needed a few tweaks to get it dead on after adjusting the truss. But what shocked me was my G&L, which my luthier had told me six months ago did not need a neck adjustment. When I checked it yesterday, the low E was touching the sixth fret, and defiantly needed adjustment. After adjusting the action, the neck relief, and the intonation (with it's new Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 9.5's), it has never sounded better.

I plan to use my new found skills on my remaining guitars when it's time for their string changes. I no longer have that irrational fear of the truss rod, and I actually look forward to maintaining/improving the playability and tonal quality of my collection with my new tools and knowledge. (And saving a few bucks by doing it myself, too!)  

• Like 4

Glad you gained the courage to do a simple adjustment that makes big differences to playability of a guitar. I live in a region that becomes dry in winter and humid in summer, so minor adjustments are absolutely necessary during the transitory periods of climate. Either way, a little knowledge about this now empowers you to do one of the most important adjustments for your guitar. IMHO, once a neck goes bad, guitar becomes firewood - bolt one are exception to some extent. Reason being is most other things are easily rectified. Neck issues can be BIG issues. Regards!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Ive maybe had  6 acoustics that required truss rod adjustments  .considering the amount of guitars here.  Not a bad average.   More of the set ups were on the nuts and saddles .  

The key is to give it 1/8th to 1/4 turn and let it settle. Then assess and go another 1/8th to 1/4 if you need it. 

Turn to the right and the fretboard gets straighter. And action should lower.

Turn to the left and the fretboard bows more. And action should get higher.

P.S. I hate how you have to blindly stick a hex wrench into a Martin to adjust it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Sheepdog1969 – Thank you for seeing me on such short notice, Doctor. 

Psychiatrist – You are very welcome. Shall we continue where we left off last week, with how your father treated you unfairly and subjected you to corporal punishment?

Sheepdog1969 – No, Doctor, what I came to tell you is…

Psychiatrist – “Spare the rod, spoil the child,” he used to say as he whipped you cruelly. That had to have a profound effect on your psyche.

Sheepdog1969 – No, what I came to say is that I finally overcame my fear of the truss rod. I got the tools to….

Psychiatrist – Yes, of course. I have endeavored to equip you with the tools to deal with all the childhood trauma in your life. 

Sheepdog1969 – I got actual tools, Doctor. From a guitar luthier supply house! I tackled the truss rod, and I won. I am free of fear of the truss rod. I don’t need to come see you, ever again. 

Psychiatrist – Whoa, whoa, hold on now. I still have kids in college. I can’t afford for every Sam and Sally to just go fix their own problems and stop coming to my practice. I have bills to pay!

Sheepdog1969 – Well, thank you, Doctor. That’s what I came to say. I’ll pay up with your secretary, and show myself out. 

Psychiatrist – Wait. What about clowns?? I know you are really creeped out by circus clowns. 

Sheepdog1969 – Meh. Not so much. 

Psychiatrist – They hide under your bed at night you know. With their creepy makeup and oversized shoes!

Sheepdog1969 – You are reaching now. 

Psychiatrist – And heights. Climbing on ladders is dangerous. We need to talk about that. 

Sheepdog1969 – I’m leaving now. Goodbye, good sir.   (departs, and closes the door)

Psychiatrist – Well, s#1t.  I should have gotten him hooked on mood ameliorated substances, months ago. 

The doctor drummed his fingers on the desk. 

Psychiatrist – I should have listened to the Nuns at Saint Bartholomew’s, and gone into plumbing. 

😔

depositphotos_26981947-stock-photo-serio

Edited by sparquelito
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Psychiatrist – You are very welcome. Shall we continue where we left off last week, with how your father treated you unfairly and subjected you to corporal punishment?

Psychiatrist – “Spare the rod, spoil the child,” he used to say as he whipped you cruelly. That had to have a profound effect on your psyche.

Sheepdog1969 – No, what I came to say is that I finally overcame my fear of the truss rod. I got the tools to….

Psychiatrist – Yes, of course. I have endeavored to equip you with the tools to deal with all the childhood trauma in your life. 

Sheepdog1969 – I got actual tools, Doctor. From a guitar luthier supply house! I tackled the truss rod, and I won. I am free of fear of the truss rod. I don’t need to come see you, ever again. 

Psychiatrist – Whoa, whoa, hold on now. I still have kids in college. I can’t afford for every Sam and Sally to just go fix their own problems and stop coming to my practice. I have bills to pay!

Sheepdog1969 – Well, thank you, Doctor. That’s what I came to say. I’ll pay up with your secretary, and show myself out. 

Psychiatrist – Wait. What about clowns?? I know you are really creeped out by circus clowns. 

Sheepdog1969 – Meh. Not so much. 

Psychiatrist – They hide under your bed at night you know. With their creepy makeup and oversized shoes!

Sheepdog1969 – You are reaching now. 

Psychiatrist – And heights. Climbing on ladders is dangerous. We need to talk about that. 

Sheepdog1969 – I’m leaving now. Goodbye, good sir.   (departs, and closes the door)

Psychiatrist – Well, s#1t.  I should have gotten him hooked on mood ameliorated substances, months ago. 

The doctor drummed his fingers on the desk. 

Psychiatrist – I should have listened to the Nuns at Saint Bartholomew’s, and gone into plumbing. 

😔

depositphotos_26981947-stock-photo-serio

I nominate you for a Oscar.  😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

1. Thank you for writing my character in a way that makes me appear somewhat more sane than I am in reality. (ain't fiction grand?)

2. A few of my personalities resent that you had my character seeing a Psychiatrist.

3. I was under the impression that HIPPA and Dr. patient confidentiality should have prevented you from being able to access and quote sections of my sessions. 

4. Why didn't you tell me that my truss rod issues were sufficient enough for me to get prescription drugs that would ease my truss fears AND help me with the clown thing???

I think I've said too much. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Sheepdog1969,

Unless someone is using a truss rod on you as an instrument of torture, or to extract a confession, I think your fear of it is overblown.

RBSinTo

Some people are freaked out by spiders. I can't count the times I've seen someone loose their mind from fear, just because they saw a mouse. My "issue" was with truss rods. Hence my use of the word, "irrational",  My lack of knowledge, experience, and the proper tools manifested over the years into a fear of doing more harm than good if I messed with them. All irrational fears are based on ignorance. Mine was no different, and by educating myself, it no longer exists.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Some people are freaked out by spiders. I can't count the times I've seen someone loose their mind from fear, just because they saw a mouse. My "issue" was with truss rods. Hence my use of the word, "irrational",  My lack of knowledge, experience, and the proper tools manifested over the years into a fear of doing more harm than good if I messed with them. All irrational fears are based on ignorance. Mine was no different, and by educating myself, it no longer exists.

Yes but unlike truss rods, spiders always take you by surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Better late than never Sheepdog1969

I have always adjusted truss rods since getting my strat in the early 70s. Only thing was, I believed the neck had to be straight back then. So yes, I didn't know exactly what I was doing. I have just one guitar that I have never needed to touch the truss rod at all ever since I got it in 2014. That the Hagstrom Deuce. 

I also have not yet altered the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion iii truss rod. I probably will at next string change though. It plays well, buts some small adjustment could improve it further I reckon.

• Like 1

Let’s put this way why it’s important to understand how to maintain your neck relief. There are times when you pick up your guitar one day and you are getting buzzes, action differences, whatever. It ain’t right… if a guitar is set up properly at some point and this happens - one day - this means something changed. Wood is organic and it changes with the environment. No little elves are coming by in the middle of the night screwing with your bridge, saddles, etc so I don’t understand why people start screwing with this crap when the problem is because the neck moved. Fix the relief and all goes well. It takes a simple feeler gauge and capo with a little knowledge that can be picked up from tons of YouTube videos to make all well again. At least this is why I think all guitar players should learn how to adjust their neck relief. Either this or have someone on call… just want to make a point that it’s not a serious adjustment and it’s important to get this right. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, NighthawkChris said:

I live in a region that becomes dry in winter and humid in summer, so minor adjustments are absolutely necessary during the transitory periods of climate. 

Same here climate-wise. I do use a humidifier, but still, my LP neck seems to stay where I set it at very straight, regardless of season. Pretty cool. 

• Like 1

My 1974 Martin D-28  doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, but rather, as I understand, a square "U" channel in the neck.

When not being played, it is cased, with an Oasis humidifier, which I fill weekly, all year 'round. Owned  the guitar since 1979, and have never knowingly had a problem with the action.

My other three  acoustics all have adjustable truss rods, as does one of my two electrics, and the only time any of them have been adjusted, is by Luthiers during service.

By way of full disclosure, I am not a Guitar God by anyone's definition, and truthfully, the Martin is an instrument waaaay above my pay grade, so I am not as discerning a person as others here are, when it comes to the fine adjustments to a truss rod that they speak of.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1