Gibson Brands Forums

What would You Do?

I have a 2014 Les Paul Traditional that I never use (it's actually like a brand new 10 year old guitar, the only thing I've done to it is remove the pickguard).

I've really taken a fancy to buy a new Les Paul Classic because of the sound options, particularly the out-of-phase option.  I know some people would think trading the Trad for a classic is a backward step, considering the Trad has a solid body and the 59 tribute humbuckers, so I thought I'd ask the wise people on here, would you do it?

xxzpMs8.jpg

If you’re buying from a reputable dealer they give a 45 day no hassle Return Exchange policy. Play them both for a couple weeks, decide which one you like & sell or return the other..

I should have mentioned that shortly after buying the Traditional got an R8, so the Trad became redundant.  I've had it from new, so I suspect it's not going to grow on me.  Beautiful guitar nevertheless.

• Like 2

Based on my impression of your commentary and that you have an R8, I’d sell your Trad if it just isn’t being played. Put it up for a price you can live with to part ways and take your time for the right buyer to come along. 

8 hours ago, IanHenry said:

the only thing I've done to it is remove the pickguard

Those tend to gouge through the surface on of the fasteners. Especially if one plays hard. Eventually over time in any event. Me thinks Gibson ships some where you install it after delivery.    

----

Most notable difference IMHO is the neck profile. Classic be more rounded and likely heavier. For me, rounded neck feels better and the weight, IMHO, adds to warmth.

The ones of mine that I do not play go away...so I always do some trading and buying. But after I bought my 57 reissue....well my other Les Pauls went bye bye.......however......I did get an SG 61 RI.........just so if I go jam with others.....or whatever I take it instead of my reissue custom shop one. 

Only you would be able to answer your question.....are you going to put it aside like your traditional since you have a reissue 58??

Something to think about

Many thanks for all your replies, as Bigtim suggests, "something to think about".

I am quite surprised by the weight of those newer Classics, considering they are weight-relieved, my old Classic Antique weighs between 7 and 7.5lbs.

16 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Based on my impression of your commentary and that you have an R8, I’d sell your Trad if it just isn’t being played. Put it up for a price you can live with to part ways and take your time for the right buyer to come along. 

This.

IanHenry,

No I wouldn't do it.

Instead, I'd trade it for a nice Martin acoustic guitar.  But that's just me.

The relevant question is why ask what others would or wouldn't do?

In this instance, it only matters what you decide and are comfortable doing.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo