Gibson Brands Forums

Message for the forum from JDGM

Rabs

Sorry to not reply to all individual comments. I, my mum and aunt, John's sisters, with whom I've shared the link to this thread, have been truly moved by all of your comments and best wishes - thank you all so much. I'll be quoting some of them when I pay tribute to him at the funeral - guitars and this forum were such a big part of him, so please know that you'll be featuring heavily in his send-off! Heartfelt thanks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

John will really be missed here. I learned a lot about music from him. I hope that somebody listens to his record collection and finds something special to them. Maybe someone will get one of his guitars and learn to play or something

On 8/2/2024 at 2:50 AM, mesho said:

I'm sorry to say that John passed away yesterday afternoon, August 1st, in hospital. He's now at peace and out of pain. 

I am so sorry to hear of John's passing. I send my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and loved ones. He is already missed, and he will be remembered.

I just mounted this to the amplifier that I keep in my office / computer room here. 

There's always a guitar in rotation here, hanging on a wall mount above the amp. 

Frequently inspired to grab a guitar (without walking down the hall to the music room), and so this is the place. 
Especially at 4:00 or 5:00 am. 

It's a peaceable place, and I can play at low room volumes without fear of waking Herself. 

Rest in peace, good and gentle John. 

🥲

SIwOCZW.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I just mounted this to the amplifier that I keep in my office / computer room here. 

There's always a guitar in rotation here, hanging on a wall mount above the amp. 

Frequently inspired to grab a guitar (without walking down the hall to the music room), and so this is the place. 
Especially at 4:00 or 5:00 am. 

It's a peaceable place, and I can play at low room volumes without fear of waking Herself. 

Rest in peace, good and gentle John. 

🥲

SIwOCZW.jpg

Nice touch Mr, Sparky. A great way to remember him. 

He bought me lunch in Port Solent after his visit. That pub will remind me of him too. 

• Thanks 1

My most sincere and heartfelt condolences. I had a wonderful online relationship with John. This is so sad and I'm sorry to be late to this thread after he passed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello.

We have a request from the family. They have been in touch to let me know when the funeral is but have also asked about Johns music taste.

They have asked if we know of any special tracks that John liked to play at the service and at the wake after. So I thought id ask you guys. I mean I know he was a huge Hendrix fan but thats about all I have. I know he loved his jazz too but I generally stayed out of a lot  of those discussions.

So if anyone has any tracks they know John loved and would be suitable for a service please let me know and I will pass them along, or even more general tracks for the wake after. And they have asked if we can do it as soon as so they can make sure its all organised. (It will be on September 6th).

Anyone else who may want to go, PM me and I will pass the details on.

1 minute ago, SteveFord said:

I do not know.  

He did post a video of a song he worked on during the COVID lock down, he said he spent quite some time practicing it.  He really did a good job of it, too.

Ok cool. I will see if I can find it..  Do you remember the name of the thread? Something about home recordings?

And he specifically mentioned:

These CD's. 

"Zawinul" - Joe Zawinul's 3rd LP for Atlantic

"Smokin' At The Half-Note" - Wes Montgomery/Wynton Kelly Trio

"Let's Call This" - Steve Khan with Ron Carter, Al Foster 

🙂

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't recall where he posted it.  

Right around that time he wrote me and said let's keep in touch in case the forum got shut down.  I guess that was around 2021/2022?

He was a good guitarist, that piece he recorded was excellent.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I honestly don't recall where he posted it.  

Right around that time he wrote me and said let's keep in touch in case the forum got shut down.  I guess that was around 2021/2022?

He was a good guitarist, that piece he recorded was excellent.

I tried searching content by member, but didn’t have much luck since you need a keyword to start a search. I tried “song” thinking maybe he put that somewhere in the post, but turns out, yes, he played the Song Game lot 🙂 I went through those returns but didn’t see anything likely to be a recording.  

If any one remembers something more specific in the exchanges in that post that would help narrow it down. 

Maybe a Mod has the ability to search by threads he started?  That would narrow down the history on his profile.  

7 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I just linked it in my post above. If that didn’t work try this, https://forum.gibson.com/topic/179701-so-i-have-a-terrible-idea-which-is-a-great-place-to-start/

Johns post is #7 page 1

I got it cheers..  I have sent his soundcloud page and the above suggestions to his family. So, thanks for that...  My own suggestions were The Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing, along with any of the three albums really.. Its all good isnt it.

Ooh my bad Steve I must not have seen that post. Did you check his SoundCloud? 

if it’s not there I suggest searching on google rather than here on the forum search function. If you google “Gibson forum jdgm” and then type in any keywords you may think of that will be the most effective way to search