Gibson Brands Forums

So I have a terrible idea, which is a great place to start.

I was wondering, in my usual stupor, about how such a great and diverse group of talented musical individuals, who routinely gather together in this forum, have not collaborated to create a track or 2 of glorious music together.  A recent Larsongs post blew my mind, and exponentially opened my mind to the relative simplicity of long distance musical collaboration. (yes, I am well aware of digital file transmission, but how it could incorporate itself into multitrack recording had escaped me.) 

Those are great too! I have a friend who had one. I used my 2488 & we’d email each othe(r) WAV File Tracks back & forth & build Songs.".

(Lars was referring to the BOSS   BR-1600 and the Tascam DP-2488, and how they are compatible) 

I assume other WAV file generating recording devices could function in this proposed collaborative musical endeavor.  There are so many exceptional individuals here, with such diverse skill sets, why the F don't we have a bit of fun and make something beautiful together???  It seems we tend to talk here, ad nauseum, about music and the gear that helps us generate it,, right?  Where I come from, when we find ourselves in the company of a group of other musicians, WE FRAKIN' PLAY TOGETHER!  Just sayin'!

Then again. I am cranking "Girl from Ipanema" to the brink of maxing my 1500+ watt system, so what do I know?  I may have questionable judgement.

Edited by Sheepdog1969

:-k now, don't quote me here, but I think I recall a one stage that RCT and Sparquelito  were planning a collaboration to make a version of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's complete album Welcome to the Pleasuredome in the form of a rock opera 🤘, potentially with Sgt Pepper guesting on marimbas for a couple of tracks.

Not sure how far they got into it, if indeed I am not entirely mistaken about this. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 'Scales said:

:-k now, don't quote me here, but I think I recall a one stage that RCT and Sparquelito  were planning a collaboration to make a version of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's complete album Welcome to the Pleasuredome in the form of a rock opera 🤘, potentially with Sgt Pepper guesting on marimbas for a couple of tracks.

Not sure how far they got into it, if indeed I am not entirely mistaken about this. 

I still have my vinyl copy of FGTH - Pleasure Dome. Did you know Steve Howe plays on it?

Marimba's, I'm no Ruth Underwood.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 'Scales said:

now that I'd like to see happen ... lol

• Haha 1

Here's another terrible idea. 

I never finished this (old) track which is in D minor.  No lead guitar.

Plenty of space to play over this -

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

I have collaborated on a few tracks with some fellers on here.
Mostly my lyrics and their music, but there are a few that we've instrumentally collaborated on.

I'll leave them to post, if they are of a mind, since the music is now in their hands.
There are  some songs that they are looking to market and sell, in the professional studio arena, so there may be some reticence, re; copyrights and such.

I joined ASCAP just for the collaborations, but I'm not super-smart on all the business side of things. 

🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I have collaborated on a few tracks with some fellers on here.
Mostly my lyrics and their music, but there are a few that we've instrumentally collaborated on.

Sparky, I actually recall doing similar a good few years ago  in support of Lars68 over on the Acoustic page with a song he was developing at the time - see the thread below for the story. I deleted soundcloud at some stage over the years which is probably just as well, but it was an enjoyable exercise at the time. Very little technology involved though [laugh]

• Like 2

The way I’ve done it with several guys from all over the Country..

Someone lays down a Click track, a Rhythm Guitar & a Vocal of a Song.. We email Zip WAV Files to each other & download them into a Project. We all are working with a Click Track with the same BPM. Then we add Drums, Guitars, Bass, Keys, more Vocals.

Then one of us will Mix the song.. I do a lot of the Mixing. So far I do all the Mastering as well.

It doesn’t really matter if you’re using Tascam 2488, Boss  BR-1600, Pro Tools or Logic as long as you’re sharing WAV Files.. I don’t know about other DAWS but shouldn’t be a problem as long as they’re WAV Files & recorded to a proper Click Track.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

The way I’ve done it with several guys from all over the Country..

Someone lays down a Click track, a Rhythm Guitar & a Vocal of a Song.. We email Zip WAV Files to each other & download them into a Project. We all are working with a Click Track with the same BPM. Then we add Drums, Guitars, Bass, Keys, more Vocals.

Then one of us will Mix the song.. I do a lot of the Mixing. So far I do all the Mastering as well.

It doesn’t really matter if you’re using Tascam 2488, Boss  BR-1600, Pro Tools or Logic as long as you’re sharing WAV Files.. I don’t know about other DAWS but shouldn’t be a problem as long as they’re WAV Files & recorded to a proper Click Track.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Decide on a BPM, a Key, style, etc. and off to the races, as it were.

Around here, we say, "Give me a beat.", and it starts from there.

19 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Sparky, I actually recall doing similar a good few years ago  in support of Lars68 over on the Acoustic page with a song he was developing at the time - see the thread below for the story. I deleted soundcloud at some stage over the years which is probably just as well, but it was an enjoyable exercise at the time. Very little technology involved though [laugh]

Scales, a forum notification of your post led me to this thread. I remember you helping me out with my song back then. for which I'm still extremely gratefull. I especially remember what a great feeling it was to hear a proper musician doing his version of my simple song. I walked a few feet off the ground for a week at least 😀 I remember revisiting my original recording a few years later and replacing vocal parts and doing some remixing. If you care to hear how the song evolved, here is the version from a few years back. Not a masterpiece, by any stretch of the imagination…

Lars

We record at my sons studio.

He sends me the Pro Tools tracks on Work In Progress stuff, I can take my time develop my parts, after I import them,

when I am done I just ship them back, and he drops em into the master project in Pro Tools

All done via drop box.

I just wish I was more proficient in pro-tools   once I stop working full time that is one of my projects to embark on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

We record at my sons studio.

He sends me the Pro Tools tracks on Work In Progress stuff, I can take my time develop my parts, after I import them,

when I am done I just ship them back, and he drops em into the master project in Pro Tools

All done via drop box.

I just wish I was more proficient in pro-tools   once I stop working full time that is one of my projects to embark on

We used to use Dropbox.. Then we started emailing Zip WAV Files of Tracks to Shared Folders in Google Chrome.. 

• Like 1

I remember someone suggesting doing a project like this many years ago. Can't remember if it ever went anywhere. Sounds like a cool idea to me, but I am clueless at home recording and have no equipment for it. I had Cubase on an old PC but never learned to do much with it.    

On 2/15/2024 at 11:03 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

I was wondering, in my usual stupor, about how such a great and diverse group of talented musical individuals, who routinely gather together in this forum, have not collaborated to create a track or 2 of glorious music together.  A recent Larsongs post blew my mind, and exponentially opened my mind to the relative simplicity of long distance musical collaboration. (yes, I am well aware of digital file transmission, but how it could incorporate itself into multitrack recording had escaped me.) 

Those are great too! I have a friend who had one. I used my 2488 & we’d email each othe(r) WAV File Tracks back & forth & build Songs.".

(Lars was referring to the BOSS   BR-1600 and the Tascam DP-2488, and how they are compatible) 

I assume other WAV file generating recording devices could function in this proposed collaborative musical endeavor.  There are so many exceptional individuals here, with such diverse skill sets, why the F don't we have a bit of fun and make something beautiful together???  It seems we tend to talk here, ad nauseum, about music and the gear that helps us generate it,, right?  Where I come from, when we find ourselves in the company of a group of other musicians, WE FRAKIN' PLAY TOGETHER!  Just sayin'!

Then again. I am cranking "Girl from Ipanema" to the brink of maxing my 1500+ watt system, so what do I know?  I may have questionable judgement.

Sheepdog1969,

Your idea will only be terrible if people convince me to take part, which will ruin the final product.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Does anyone play Drums in this Group? 

I do. 

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

One guy mentioned he was a drummer first and a guitarist second. Can't remember his name.

Drums are my first instrument. Guitar second.

Could be me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Do you have Mics & Recording gear?

Yes, and Yes.

I wouldn't use my acoustic set. I would use my Roland/Electric set. And record directly into my Tascam DP 24-SD.

• Like 1