Gibson Brands Forums

Billie Joe Armstron - "Bon Jovi are the worst band we've ever toured with" Guest Farnsbarns By Guest Farnsbarns September 14, 2012 in The Gibson Lounge

CB: Read up on the difference of Sarcasm & Facetious.

History Lesson: Ready? One, Two, Three, GO!

Before you were even the twinkle in your father's eye, I was a punk in the streets of Southern California.  I grew up during the heyday of punk rock.  I walked the streets of California with the soundtrack of my favorite punk bands playing in my head.  American bands like The Dead Kennedys (Jello Biafra), The Dickies, then later X (Exene Cervenka, John Doe, Billy Zoom and D.J. Bonebrake), Social Distortion (Mike Ness), The Flesh Eaters (Dave Alvin, Chris Desjardins, John Doe, Steve Berlin, DJ Bonebrake), T.S.O.L True Sounds of Liberty (Jack Grisham and Ron Emory) and a few more you might have heard of like Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, the Runaways, The Go-Go's and Ramons.

The great thing about the California Punk Scene was that these players all knew each other and would at times show up to support the other bands.  Dave Alvin would go on to form the Blasters with his genius brother Phil.  Phil holds a California record for having caught by hand one of the largest rattlesnakes on record. Even taught high level mathematics at Cal State Long Beach.  Dave is one of Americas best song writers.  Ever hear of Dwight Yokum?  Got his start in the same clubs as these artists at the same time.  Alvin sold him the rights to Long White Cadillac, then used the money to build his own studio.  It's a song about Hank Williams and is Yokum's greatest hit.  Ron Emory would play lead guitar for Social D. Steve Berlin would play sax for the likes of the Blasters and Los Lobos.  Yeah that was the good part that came out of California's Wonderful World of Punk.  Want to read a good book? John Doe put out a compilation by the folks who lived it called Under the Big Black Sky.  He tells the story of the Los Angeles punk scene.  He also has others tell their own story.

I can go on and on.  I've met them.  I've interviewed them and I've grown old with them.

Sure I listened to English Punk like the Clash and the Sex Pistols. I still have a pristine copy of Never Mind the Bollocks. I've met Johnny Lydon "Rotten" too.

So before you try to school me on what punk is; I have it running through my veins.  I'm old school.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Before you were even the twinkle in your father's eye, I was a punk in the streets of Southern California.  I grew up during the heyday of punk rock.  I walked the streets of California with the soundtrack of my favorite punk bands playing in my head.  American bands like The Dead Kennedys (Jello Biafra), The Dickies, then later X (Exene Cervenka, John Doe, Billy Zoom and D.J. Bonebrake), Social Distortion (Mike Ness), The Flesh Eaters (Dave Alvin, Chris Desjardins, John Doe, Steve Berlin, DJ Bonebrake), T.S.O.L True Sounds of Liberty (Jack Grisham and Ron Emory) and a few more you might have heard of like Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, the Runaways, The Go-Go's and Ramons.

The great thing about the California Punk Scene was that these players all knew each other and would at times show up to support the other bands.  Dave Alvin would go on to form the Blasters with his genius brother Phil.  Phil holds a California record for having caught by hand one of the largest rattlesnakes on record. Even taught high level mathematics at Cal State Long Beach.  Dave is one of Americas best song writers.  Ever hear of Dwight Yokum?  Got his start in the same clubs as these artists at the same time.  Alvin sold him the rights to Long White Cadillac, then used the money to build his own studio.  It's a song about Hank Williams and is Yokum's greatest hit.  Ron Emory would play lead guitar for Social D. Steve Berlin would play sax for the likes of the Blasters and Los Lobos.  Yeah that was the good part that came out of California's Wonderful World of Punk.  Want to read a good book? John Doe put out a compilation by the folks who lived it called Under the Big Black Sky.  He tells the story of the Los Angeles punk scene.  He also has others tell their own story.

I can go on and on.  I've met them.  I've interviewed them and I've grown old with them.

Sure I listened to English Punk like the Clash and the Sex Pistols. I still have a pristine copy of Never Mind the Bollocks. I've met Johnny Lydon "Rotten" too.

So before you try to school me on what punk is; I have it running through my veins.  I'm old school.

I don't care who you know, I was just saying what the genre means. It's anti-conformatory and anti-authoritarian. Both can be seen as political, especially the latter. Most of those artists also wrote songs with these principles, and if they didn't I would argue they're just rock or pop-rock, not punk. 

9 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I’m jamming to flock of seagulls right now and legitimately loving it so I’m no saint.

As you should, epic

12 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I’m jamming to flock of seagulls right now and legitimately loving it so I’m no saint.

Brilliant 80's pop.  When we did them songs, whatever the decade in which we did them, crowds super dug it.  Great band.

rct

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, saturn said:

I knew what this was thread gonna turn out like. 

You can say that again:

I think most rock, punk and metal bands has some level political stuff tied to their thought process..... Some more than others.

Country music on the other hand it's all about Trucks, Tequila, Girls and my shotgun..... If the guitar players weren't so darn good I would never give country music a listen.... especially the modern stuff. 

The establishment today is what the early 80's punk bands wanted. The embarrassing think is to see them not realize that they're no longer fighting the establishment, they ARE the establishment. And a complainy-pants establishment at that.

Borderline political, so I'll leave it at that.

Posted (edited)

Since this OP was about punk rock, I just can’t help but remember all the nights driving up and down PCH listening to stuff like The Dead Kennedys, Police Truck or The Dickies Gigantor.   That was punk rock  

Edited by Californiaman

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 9:24 AM, Californiaman said:

"1 Minute.  I've got one minute left."

Times up you piece of excrement.  Sounds like a petulant child who didn't get their way. How punk is that?

When the Supreme Court of the US sent Roe v. Wade back to the states for them to decide the abortion issue, Armstrong announced in the middle of a gig in London that he was renouncing his US citizenship.  Not something he gave a lot of thought to.  Since BJ announced he was renouncing his American citizenship, then why is he still here?  Go to Canada or Europe or BF Egypt BJ.  Take your punk attitude to Gaza or some other place.  Maybe the Chinese will let you in.

If you don't like it here. Get the fu@% out!

This is why I don't post here anymore.  Because of knuckle draggers like you.

I'm part Native American.  If you don't like it here, get out of here yourself, Chief Running Mouth.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 11:35 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

Space Age Love Song?

Punk was rock, no more no less. They tried to be louder, snottier, and did it with angst in their pants. The punk ethos was “I can do that too”. Well maybe. Most punks were sub par players. But I guess that was the point. One thing is for sure Green Day we’re not qualified to even carry The Steve Morse Bands gear a couple weeks ago when I saw them in Durham.

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Space Age Love Song?

At the time I posted it was Wishing but I like a lot of their songs. Space Age Love Song is a banger. The way he plays those little harmonics with the echo on the verses is so cool

BBP, sorry you feel that way.  Stooping so low as to call me a "knuckle dragger" and "Chief Running Mouth," is well.... petty at best.

Subjective vs. objective arguments: Objective means verifiable information based on facts and evidence.  Subjective means information or perspectives based on feelings, opinions, or emotions.

Having presented information that is verifiable and fact, I posted about BJA.  If he believes so strongly in something that he's willing to renounce his citizenship as he clearly did in the middle of a gig in London, just look it up it's on youtube, then I say renounce away and move to where ever you want.  Don't rant about it in front of thousands who paid good money to see you play your music.  Just quietly go and do it.

As for you, obviously you felt compelled to post here again.  So, so much for, "This is why I don't post here anymore."  I welcome your posts and have nothing against you.

Good luck to you.

No hard feelings here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, duane v said:

I saw Flock of Seagulls at Magic mountain back in 1981...... They were LOUD, especially for that type of genre of music.

Jealous!! I like loud

22 hours ago, rct said:

Brilliant 80's pop.  When we did them songs, whatever the decade in which we did them, crowds super dug it.  Great band.

rct

I love it when you validate my opinions. My buddy hit me up to jam sometime soon and I was thinking they have a lot of songs that would be really good to cover. Gonna have some fun with that 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

BBP, sorry you feel that way.  Stooping so low as to call me a "knuckle dragger" and "Chief Running Mouth," is well.... petty at best.

Subjective vs. objective arguments: Objective means verifiable information based on facts and evidence.  Subjective means information or perspectives based on feelings, opinions, or emotions.

Having presented information that is verifiable and fact, I posted about BJA.  If he believes so strongly in something that he's willing to renounce his citizenship as he clearly did in the middle of a gig in London, just look it up it's on youtube, then I say renounce away and move to where ever you want.  Don't rant about it in front of thousands who paid good money to see you play your music.  Just quietly go and do it.

As for you, obviously you felt compelled to post here again.  So, so much for, "This is why I don't post here anymore."  I welcome your posts and have nothing against you.

Good luck to you.

No hard feelings here.

To be honest I feel like I said way too much myself.. The thing is whether we’re right or wrong, the fact that this kid likes Green Day doesn’t hurt anyone. Us trying to rain on his parade on the other hand is somewhat malicious, and I don’t even know why I have that inclination to be malicious. Probably daddy issues or something 

If you take a step back it’s a bad look to argue with this kid whether you think you’re right or wrong. I know how I feel about Green Day but not everyone has to feel the same as I do 

my apologies to the OP for the way I initially reacted and the way this thread went

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2024 at 6:35 AM, ksdaddy said:

Heroes…. Choose wisely. 

1988. Wow 

Did BJA say when Dump was elected he was gonna leave the country? Sounds like something a real punk would say and not follow through with. 

I wish they had 0 minutes left.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 2:41 AM, Californiaman said:

X were a killer P U N K band. Saw them twice. Under The Big Black Sun is a really good album. 

Social D, I only liked Prison Bound. The first one was okay.

DK were a joke. California Uber Alles is about all I can take from them. How many times can one listen to To Drunk To . . .?

The Pistols were clowns too.

You forgot Black Flag, they were brutal. My War and Slip It In were not bad.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)

Greg Gaffin (probably spelled wrong) from Bad Religion has a PH.d, I think. Saw them 3 times. They are not bad. But punk all starts to sound the same. Hey anyone have the first five Ramones albums, yeah they’re all the same. They just have different titles on them. It’s like Motörhead, or AC/DC. They’re all the same. If you have Powerage or Ace Of Spades, you don’t need any more

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Jealous!! I like loud

I love it when you validate my opinions. My buddy hit me up to jam sometime soon and I was thinking they have a lot of songs that would be really good to cover. Gonna have some fun with that 

Do it!

Here's a winner:

rct