Gibson Brands Forums

Duck Season - Wabbit Season

Paul didn't want to build your fathers guitar, he wanted to profit off the people that built your fathers guitar. Every time this kind of thing comes up I am glad I've never had my picture taken using one of his.  I'm glad I hate the necks and will never own one.  The guy was back then and still is a T  wat.

rct

• Like 1

Any word on how are sales of the Theodore doing?

i don’t mind some odd Gibson things from the past like the Corvus, but the Theo is more in the Moderne class of fugly.

• Haha 1

This calls for a limerick. 

Gibson mostly builds guitars that we adore
though every now and then, they get an idea for
A guitar that prompts people to sue
An ugly instrument that costs thousands new
Ladies and gentlemen, that’s the Theodore

🤨

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, rct said:

Paul didn't want to build your fathers guitar, he wanted to profit off the people that built your fathers guitar. Every time this kind of thing comes up I am glad I've never had my picture taken using one of his.  I'm glad I hate the necks and will never own one.  The guy was back then and still is a T  wat.

rct

I agree. Almost every interview with him he comes across as just that ...  I had a custom 24 for 8 or 10 years. The quality of the build was excellent,  but the neck I just never completely bonded with.  It was a nice guitar but a LP, Tele or 335 just felt like home.

Posted (edited)

I played a PRS, I believe it was called a White Whale. It looked like his Mira or Custom 24 ones. It was 4k. It felt and played amazingly. But as stated it was 4k, so at GC it stayed. 

Gibson and most every other company just sell the same designs since the dawn of the electric guitar, but when a new shape comes along it’s laughed at. Plus it’s how everyone wants it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So PRS got fussy about the Theodore? Insisting they have a more righteous claim to Ted's name and legacy. And now they've given up without a fight anyway. 

A sensible decision that came too late to stop them looking petulant and petty. 

54 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

So PRS got fussy about the Theodore? Insisting they have a more righteous claim to Ted's name and legacy. And now they've given up without a fight anyway. 

A sensible decision that came too late to stop them looking petulant and petty. 

Okay, this old newbie will bite…. Who the heck is “theodore” and why does PRS care?  If it’s too long to go into, it’s okay, I’m assuming survival of the human species doesn’t hinge on my knowing the answer, but I do enjoy the ballad of a gusty flame war around a campfire.  

• Like 1

@Sgt. Pepper

Even your old couch as s back drop couldn't make a Theodore look good.

Edsel comes to mind.

Not sure if even time can save this one. 

-----

Already miss that couch. Can't un-see that couch. It grew on me. Arg.... 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, this old newbie will bite…. Who the heck is “theodore” and why does PRS care?  If it’s too long to go into, it’s okay, I’m assuming survival of the human species doesn’t hinge on my knowing the answer, but I do enjoy the ballad of a gusty flame war around a campfire.  

Ted McCarty. 
Theodore (Ted) McCarty was named vice president of the Gibson Guitar Corporation in 1949, then president in 1950. He remained president until 1966. This period became known as Gibson's golden age of electric guitars.

He helped to either design or usher in most of the classic Gibson guitars we all know and love. 

This 'Theodore' guitar is crafted from a pencil sketch that McCarty made years ago. 

From wiki:

"McCarty became the mentor of Paul Reed Smith. Smith found out about McCarty during a visit to the US Patent office in the early 1980s, where he kept noticing McCarty's name among Gibson's patents. Smith later hired McCarty as a consultant, and credits his experience with McCarty as a defining moment in his company. In 1994, Paul Reed Smith's company PRS Guitars, launched the McCarty model as a tribute to McCarty. Previously, no instrument or company ever bore his name."

😬

Edited by sparquelito
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The blotchy stains on the couch is what made it.

Was it thrown out or did it walk away on its own?

The wife said it had to go. I loved that couch. Logged hours on it listening to music.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

The design drawing of the Theodore was dated March, 1957. Teisco didn't release those until the 60s. 

But the Theo didn’t get made till a few years back. Unless Teisco had a man on the inside that saw the secret Ted scribble on a napkin that got locked in a vault, they came up with the same dumb tulip looking design on their own, unless Gibson owns the copyright to flowers?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The blotchy stains on the couch is what made it.

That's what gave it character/personality IMHO.

8 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Was it thrown out or did it walk away on its own?

He said it had a matching love seat. Me thinks seeing both together might have been too much for me to bear.

Just now, CROWB8 said:

That's what gave it character/personality IMHO.

He said it had a matching love seat. Me thinks seeing both together might have been too much for me to bear.

I did have the couch and matching love seat. It was made by Lazy Boy. It was not cheap junk.

Posted (edited)

Get yours today at 2k it’s a steal. It says it come with a case, nice, free shipping, good, the legendary lifetime warranty, whatever that means and actually warrants, and a set up. Do they set it up how I want it. Or just put it in a case after the QA department writes numbers on a tag.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/Theodore-Standard/Vintage-Cherry

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Get yours today at 2k it’s a steal. It says it come  with a case, nice, free shipping, good, and a set up. Do they set it up how I want it. Or just put it in a case and put it goes after the QA department writes numbers on a tag.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/Theodore-Standard/Vintage-Cherry

Even if they did all that and pleek'd, that's still "lipstick on a pig"