Gibson Brands Forums

switching from 9s to 10s

callen3615

I went from 9's to 10's from the Tele to the ES-339 and barely noticed. But I always used 10's on the shorter scale Gibbys.

You'll get used to em quick, and like the bigger tone better.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Since we are already in strings what is your brand of choice?

D'Addarios. There are better strings out there I'm sure, but D'Addarios are cheap, plentiful, consistent, sound good, and last forever.

I had 9s on my Sonex for the longest time. When I got a Les Paul it came with 10s and I really liked the sound better with them. Try the 10s out on the Gibson for a while. I think you'll really like them. BTW it could be worse. SRV used 13-56s!!!

I have neve played a Gibson with .009s I use .10s.

Hey KSG what difference do you notice between brite wires an vintage? I am thinking of putting vintages in my Explorer.

To my ears, the vintage are a little thicker and "warmer" sounding ...

I went from 9's to 10's from the Tele to the ES-339 and barely noticed. But I always used 10's on the shorter scale Gibbys.

You'll get used to em quick' date=' and like the bigger tone better.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

Similarily, I recently shifted from 10s to 11s on the LP and got the feel of the new strings really quickly. Fuller tone.

Personally, I think with enough volume and/or gain or a twist of a tone knob, any difference in tone as a result of string gauge becomes moot. Billy Gibbons uses .08's and he has tone as big as Texas.

Archived