Gibson Brands Forums

My band's gig fell through because of......dolphins :-)

saturn

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I have the opposite situation going on right now (opposite of the OP's query). 

We had a huge gig that I was told had been cancelled (set to take place a little over a month from now), and I got the call yesterday that it's game on, and we are going to play it. 

It's an annual event, a big outdoor sports festival with around 900 people attending. 
Cookouts, barbeque, live music, and of course, a softball tournament, 3 on 3 basketball finals, a 10 k run, horseshoes competition, bean bag toss, food trucks, and a whole lot of fun. 

The organizers had hinted to me over the past few weeks that it wasn't going to happen, and, suprisingly, now it's on. 

I have a lot of work to do, setting up rehearsals, and getting my logistics down tight. 
There will be my crew along with some close friends with their band, alternating sets, and we don't get to set up the afternoon prior. 
Playing sets from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm solid, and we will have to load in, set up, and sound check very, very early in the morning!

Good times. 
🫤

SOFTBALL20GENERIC_1525718393335.jpg_4195

Yeah, but I know you got this, Sparky! 

• Thanks 1

It’s kinda nice that they prioritize the safety/comfort of the animals vs entertaining the guests. 

Sorry to hear that your gig got cancelled, but it makes sense not to want a live rock band with all those animals around 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Squirrels have cost us plenty of gigs. 😖

and that time Axl Rose refused to stand for me when I had toothache - man, you can’t help but feel a bit rejected.

Axl will walk out on a gig if someone looks at him slightly wrong, or the cheese tray doesn’t have enough Brie on it. Never understood the GNR worship. Those songs that got played to death I really never need to hear again.

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

Ah, ok, that’s probably solved that little mystery…at $400 a gig we are limited to processed cheese.

The squirt stuff out of a can. You live large. With off brand Ritz crackers too?

It could have been worse.  You could have played the gig, offended the wrong person/people, or worse yet the dolphins themselves, and ended up sleeping with the fishes (a la Luca Brasi in Godfather 1) as a symbolic gesture.  Imagine your guitar wrapped with a fish being delivered to your friends/loved ones.  It could have been ugly.  Count your blessings.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2024 at 10:14 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

It’s kinda nice that they prioritize the safety/comfort of the animals vs entertaining the guests. 

Sorry to hear that your gig got cancelled, but it makes sense not to want a live rock band with all those animals around 

I agree. I really would not want do anything that would harm them or stress them any more than captivity does. I just had assumed we would be playing nowhere near where they are. 

I've been to the Aquarium many times over the years. We had a Membership when our kids were young. I recommend it to anyone who might be around the Baltimore area. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

↑ I'm curious about what they are thinking (or not thinking) ↑

1. Not "thinking", but blindly following in an incompetent manner, and/or simply "virtue signaling".

2., I bet they were wearing a week old paper mask riddled with bacteria, mold, and viruses, and not a less than 4 hour old N95.

3. Bacteria/virus transmission is not limited to respiratory orifices, [mouth and nose]. Unprotected eyes present exposure risks as well.  [note: properly fitted N95 masks may partially work for blocking viruses/bacteria, but they don't fit well on the eyes, and they tend to block vision. Properly fitted/sealed non-vented goggles are preferable. Weird how they were never discussed or mandated by the government, or worn by the "paper mask sheeple".].

4. Paper masks are impossible to "seal", are not made from effective filtering materials, and thus provide miniscule protection, at best. N95 masks have only moderately better "fitment" abilities, despite their enhanced material's filtering capabilities. Thus, even N95's cannot provide consistent protection for the wearer.

I use an age old method of protection; Lick everything, play in the dirt, drink out of hoses, eat healthy, move your body, and allow your immune system to generate your natural immunity by exposing it to what's out there, [in moderate doses]. Unfortunately, this method of protection won't prevent you from getting "love blisters" from that random hook-up you go home with late night after bars, [so says a friend]. 

9 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

1. Not "thinking", but blindly following in an incompetent manner, and/or simply "virtue signaling".

2., I bet they were wearing a week old paper mask riddled with bacteria, mold, and viruses, and not a less than 4 hour old N95.

3. Bacteria/virus transmission is not limited to respiratory orifices, [mouth and nose]. Unprotected eyes present exposure risks as well.  [note: properly fitted N95 masks may partially work for blocking viruses/bacteria, but they don't fit well on the eyes, and they tend to block vision. Properly fitted/sealed non-vented goggles are preferable. Weird how they were never discussed or mandated by the government, or worn by the "paper mask sheeple".].

4. Paper masks are impossible to "seal", are not made from effective filtering materials, and thus provide miniscule protection, at best. N95 masks have only moderately better "fitment" abilities, despite their enhanced material's filtering capabilities. Thus, even N95's cannot provide consistent protection for the wearer.

I use an age old method of protection; Lick everything, play in the dirt, drink out of hoses, eat healthy, move your body, and allow your immune system to generate your natural immunity by exposing it to what's out there, [in moderate doses]. Unfortunately, this method of protection won't prevent you from getting "love blisters" from that random hook-up you go home with late night after bars, [so says a friend]. 

Just to clarify, again, the mask was NEVER primarily to protect the wearer.  It was to prevent infected people from spewing their virus laden sneezes and coughs all over everybody else.  So perfect fit was not the issue, it was containment.  Since larger droplets were more likely to carry farther and contain more virus, the masks were an effective barrier against projectile infections.  

To your “virtue signaling” comment, you’re wielding it wrong.  The folks who only partially covered their faces were expressing their Oppositional Defiance Disorder: “fine, I’ll follow your dumb rule, but I’m gonna make sure I show my disdain for it by not doing it correctly, and in the process I don’t care who I might harm.”  

FACT: Every single person who died or is now seriously debilitated from the pandemic, was infected by someone else who was walking around contagious.  In the beginning it was forgivable, we didn’t know.  After it was proven that staying home, masks, and then vaccines cut down significantly on the speed of transmission and seriousness of  infections, anyone who didn’t make at least an effort to help prevent the spread ought to ponder that. The “never masker/vaxxer” will never know the grandma or asthmatic kid at the grocery store they ended up killing who had the misfortune of walking through the cloud of germs from that uncovered cough.  

And, god I abhor that VS term, can we please retire it? It brings nothing good to the table.  It is usually only wielded by the folks who feel defensive and called out when other people are generally behaving generously, or with kindness. I really did not expect to hear it coming from you, who wrote that lovely post here about being nice and taking care with fellow forum members.  See, someone else might call that “virtue signaling.” 

Edited by PrairieDog

I am pretty sure Pink Eye is contagious, and been around for a long time, yet I remember no one I knew having it wearing eye patches. 

I’m no disease expert, but I’m pretty darn sure any new disease like 19 that no one had any immunity too is gonna make people sick or worse. Now we barely hear about it. In 2022 it was all we were talking about 24/7. We must have heard COVID 100+ times a day back then. I knew it was going to be a matter of time and it would start to lessen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I am pretty sure Pink Eye is contagious, and been around for a long time, yet I remember no one I knew having it wearing eye patches. 

I’m no disease expert, but I’m pretty darn sure any new disease like 19 that no one had any immunity too is gonna make people sick or worse. Now we barely hear about it. In 2022 it was all we were talking about 24/7. We must have heard COVID 100+ times a day back then. I knew it was going to be a matter of time and it would start to lessen. 

Pink eye doesn’t “spew”  and isn’t deadly.  And yes, because no one had any immunity was exactly why we needed to do whatever we can to stop the spread.  Not sure what your logic is that justifies millions of preventable deaths until the bug was stopped or mutated enough to become less lethal.  People are still dying of covid here, and especially in the third world, just not at the same epidemic rates.  

What no one talks about is the viable life time of the virus appeared to be about 14 days.  If China would have just shut down every for two weeks so it couldn’t jump to new hosts and out of the country, the whole thing would have been over in less than a month.  But no, dithering and denial all around the planet let it take root and burn through the population for two years.   

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Pink eye doesn’t “spew”  and isn’t deadly.  And yes, because no one had any immunity was exactly why we needed to do whatever we can to stop the spread.  Not sure what your logic is that justifies millions of preventable deaths until the bug was stopped or mutated enough to become less lethal.  People are still dying of covid here, and especially in the third world, just not at the same epidemic rates.  

What no one talks about is the viable life time of the virus appeared to be about 14 days.  If China would have just shut down every for two weeks so it couldn’t jump to new hosts and out of the country, the whole thing would have been over in less than a month.  But no, dithering and denial all around the planet let it take root and burn through the population for two years.   

People die of pneumonia too and influenza every day. If you think masking up prevented as much as you think you’re fooling yourself. Most didn’t wear masks correctly, and especially around where I live many refused to wear them at all.  You are not going to tell a South Carolinian what to do even if laws apply. Come down I got a spare room I can show you another side of our great Americans making it greater here.

Don't you think if you can breathe through the mask, then air and the Covid germs can also get in? Huh? Do they seal completely around your face? No not at all.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

As far as masks are concerned, the flu season during the mask mandate was one of the mildest. So, they must have done something.

What I thought was funny is: Pre-covid, if four guys walked into a bank wearing masks, they would call the authorities. During covid, if four guys walked into a bank not wearing masks, they would have called the authorities.

I was a mask wearer during the pandemic to protect myself, and it worked.

I think wearing the mask is a personal choice, and I do not have any business criticizing one's choice. It's OK with me either way. There are too many important things to get irritated about without looking for things to gripe about.

However, wearing the mask over the mouth and not the nose offers no protection for the wearer or the others. And I wonder what they were thinking  (or not) thinking about.

Notes ♫

The virus needed to be aerosolized  to spread.  It was carried in droplets of mucus.  So if you kept mucus from leaving your face, you couldn’t spread it.  Again, how hard is it to understand the mask was NOT TO KEEP YOU SAFE, BUT TO KEEP YOU FROM SPREADING YOUR GERMS TO OTHER PEOPLE????!!! 

And, you all realize people really died from covid at far higher rates than any other modern flu or other disease, right?  And every single one was killed by a contagious person.  How on earth can any of you just blow that off as “personal choice”? To walk around not doing what you can to help keep people from dying?  Why bother to stop at a red light?  Hey, it’s really a personal choice, right?  You had just as much chance of getting killed  by covid as a traffic accident during those years.

This “me at any cost” is so different than the world I came of age in.  This was not ordinary flu…  you are lucky you all made it through.  The 1918 flu didn’t kill off the planet either, but folks gladly  did what they could to keep their families safe without all this chest thumping and fist waving.  

Go visit a cemetery and walk around and take a census of how many fresh 2020-2022 graves there are,  compared to other years, especially of otherwise healthy young people.  

We live in an area that thought masking was just a stunt… and most folks in my county knew someone or lost at least one extended or immediate family member.  We were working on a job in the township over, and the homeowner was out ranting on, just like here, about what a joke masks and vaccines to our crew, all “my choice” even denying it was real, and what a conspiracy it all was.  Three months later,  I’m not kidding, he died of covid, living his widow impoverished and unable to take care of the little farm they lived in for decades …. she made a point of putting that in his obit.  Tell me he really “chose” to hurt her and ruin her life like that? No, he arrogantly gambled, playing Russian roulette and lost.  

You all able to carry on the wailing about how horrid being asked to wear a little piece of cloth or paper over your face to help keep other people alive, are only here still by luck and probably a strong immune system.  

Millions of good people and children, just like you, weren’t so lucky.  When are you all going to get over all this self-righteous rationalization for what boils down to basic sociopathic arrogance that your “beliefs” are more important than a child’s life.  Yeah, okay, before I get kicked, I’m checking out…. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

PD is correct but no one seems to understand it mostly because of the “you can’t tell me what to do with my body attitude” (unless it has to do with childbirth).

Picture  this if you can. 
You have two naked guys standing one foot apart facing each other. The one on  the right we will call Rick. The one on the left we will call Lou. 
Lou pees and Rick gets all wet. Now Rick puts pants (mask) on. Lou pees again and Rick gets half wet as the pants absorb and stop some of the pee. Now Rick takes the pants off and is naked again. Lou puts pants (mask) on this time and pees again and Rick stays completely dry. The pants (mask) contained it. The pants stopped the pee (virus)  from spreading from the pee’er (infected) to the pee’ee (uninfected). That was the intended purpose of the masks, to keep the infected from spreading the virus not the other way around.

Now Rick makes me wear Depends.

Edited by gdecantoo
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2024 at 6:55 PM, PrairieDog said:

And, you all realize people really died from covid at far higher rates than any other modern flu or other disease, right?  And every single one was killed by a contagious person.  How on earth can any of you just blow that off as “personal choice”? To walk around not doing what you can to help keep people from dying?  Why bother to stop at a red light?  Hey, it’s really a personal choice, right?  You had just as much chance of getting killed  by covid as a traffic accident during those years.

People sky dive. Take unapproved subs to see the titanic. Climb mountains. Don wing suits. And do tons of other very dangerous things. Not wearing a mask, is one of those (and IMO a stupid decision).

What I hate about the mask thing is that it got politicized. If it weren't for the politicians making a big deal about it, to boost their individual ratings, more people would have worn them, and fewer people would have died.

And more of the anti-political party who didn't wear masks died, so I guess that's survival of the fittest in a way.

Sometimes I think humans are both the smartest and stupidest animals on the planet.

I know of a family who refused to wear masks, and thanks to misleading social and political media, held a covid party. One died, one still hasn't got his sense of smell and taste back, one almost died on a ventilator, and the 9-month-old baby probably got brain damage. One of the survivors in retrospect said it was the stupidest thing he ever did. He almost lost his wife and his son.

We masked, avoided big crowds, kept our distance, got vaccinated, and made it through those days. It seemed like the choice with the fewest risks, and it worked out for us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember Washington State Trooper,  Robert Lamay?  Rather than abide the state mandate to get the vaccine, he ceremoniously resigned from the force and told the Governor to kiss his @ss. That was in Oct 2021.  A certain "news" outlet hailed him as a hero and promoted his courageous story.  Three months later when he was dead from Covid, the same outlet barely mentioned it.   

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1