Gibson Brands Forums

New guitars on the Gibson Web site - What do you want to see and hear about the guitar?

cander12

This is Chris Anderson and I am the new Product Manager for Gibson USA. I manage the Gibson Electric Guitar lines around the globe. When we develop a new guitar we introduce it on the Gibson Web Site. I would like to hear from you about what information you think should be included within the posting. Do you just need pictures and specs or do you want MP3's of the different sound confirguations available on the guitar? Do you want to hear and see someone playing it? Do you want close-ups of the pick-ups, neck, or tremelo? What would help you get a better feel for the guitar?

My objective is to deliver the best information to you about the innovation coming from Gibson! So, get back to me with your thoughts on the question.

Keep it Gibson!

I agree about the sound clips too. There are some issues though. Obviously the amp chosen and the tone settings will make a big difference. Maybe have a place where users can upload their own clips with a specified amp and setting? I know you'd probably get a ton of clips from people on this forum. You can choose from them and upload those to the new guitar website for all to hear. More pics would be extremely valuable too.

I find the sound clips on the site already to be of limited use or, at least, when it comes to checking out different variations of the same guitar like Les Pauls with different pickups. The problem is that they're all recorded with different amps, players and riffs. I'm sure they're a good promotional tool but they're definitely not something I'd use to compare, say, a 498T with a Burstbucker. For a great example of how to set up sound files for comparison, check out the tone charts at Seymour Duncan's web site (humbucker tone chart). It seems like a lot of work and I don't know if it would be worth it for guitars though, maybe in the pickups section of the site.

My only other criticism, which is minor, is the site navigation as you have to do a little too much clicking to get where you want to go. You guys are using expanding menus so why not expand them out a few more levels to something like Products -> Electric Guitars -> Les Paul. If you wanted to go nuts, you could go past "Les Paul" and have all the models expand out from there but it might be a bit unwieldy at that point.

The photos that are on the site are phenomenal and I'm glad to see that you can easily view the entire guitar by default. On the earlier version of the site when the background was black, it used to drive me nuts that there were only a bunch of close up shots. I also think the information provided on the models is very thorough; one nice addition would be to have a quick list of specks that list out the type of pickups, neck radius, etc. similar to what Fender does on their web site so a visitor doesn't have to read all the text in the description if all they're looking for is one point of info.

Sound clips for sure. Everything from demonstrating clean sounds (both pups) to over driven sounds. I also like the ability we used to have of rotating the guitar 360 degress and zooming in on any part of it. And of course, the more specs you can provide the better.

Thanks for asking. That's really cool of Gibson to canvas the opinons of it's loyal forumites.

If this concerns the "Epiphone-Section" too, perhaps more information about the places/factories, where the guitars are built. IMO it needs a lot of explanatory work to show the real quality of the Epis. As long as it is hidden we, the customers, are riddling about.

More like this:

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1473

........and there are customers outside the U.S., too!

Peter

Hi, eh... welcome to the forum :D

I think most people could use lots of pics. The mp3 stuff would be great as long as it shows the true sound/tone of the guitar... the mp3s on the previous site were good but kind of sounded the same, most of them were recorded with distortion or overdrive, which would be good for selling od boxes or amps, but not to listen to the guitar.

Thanks for asking!

How about a complete view of the guitar? Back, sides, all around.

Complete construction details would be great. How many pieces are used to build the neck, the body, so on.

Detail the type of electronic components used. Pots, jacks, switches and caps.

Get rid of those butt ugly Dunlop strap locks. Schallers are the choice of most every novice and pro these days. At least acknowledge that by using their hardware. It's a huge put-off to see a gorgeous guitar with those ugly Dunlops hanging off them like a wart.

I agree totally with the inputs thus far - more pics, more detailed specs (capicitor values and even type of caps and pots etc...), sound bytes and even factories for the Epi models.

Oh and yes yes yes cheaper prices!

May I also add that you should offer to let us real and devoted Gibson players on this forum sample them by... oh I dunno, give us a test model to try for a couple of months and then post our reviews. Or you even may consider letting us purchase them at cost or just above for the same purpose. A guy can dream can't he?

Hi Chris...

Like RichCI said, the current site navigation... it's frustrating,

slow and to be honest... just bad.

As far as features... I'd say no to sound clips but a big YES

to complete and accurate model specs.

We can figure out what they're gonna sound like but as far

as specs go, I absolutely think Gibson should provide them.

Retailers provide lots of false information, this will probably save

a lot of calls to 1-800-GIBSON.

Photography. A few quality shots. Also the feature the site used to have where

you roll over a color option and the guitar would be shown in that color.

That was pretty cool.

Thanks for asking.

Better sound clips, and one's of how people actually play because, come on, let's face it, I'm pretty damn sure that not every single person who plays a guitar or tries one out does a bunch of blues licks. Hell no, they play songs, familiar chords and test to see how the instrument sounds in that context. Otherwise almost every guitar can sound the same.

Chris,

Detailed specifications and photos are fundamental. Perhaps a "photo library" of downloadable .jpg, .eps and .tiff photos (like the Gibson Press site) would be feasible? Perhaps you would like to have our mentor, Arlen Roth demo the guitar in a video, and describe his impressions regarding comparison to current / prior models that players are familiar with? He enjoys good credibility, and he certainly has the chops and experience. As an aside, how about suggesting one additional (essential) Q/A process, of re-inspecting (and adjusting as necessary) guitars prior to shipment from the D.C.? Thanks for soliciting customer/fan input for your business processes.

Hi Chris,

I think most of the other members have it pretty much covered.

One feature that I really like on the website is the 360 degree view on a guitar. -The one that enables you to spin the guitar with your mouse and check it out. I also think it's cool that you can zoom in on a particular area. -Expanding on that would be really awesome. -Being able to spin the guitar any direction (not just on a horizontal plane). Then you could look down the neck or see how the pickups are in relation to the bridge or fret board. -That kind of thing. A feature like that would also possibly make it so you guys don't have to put up so many pictures, because just about every angle of the guitar would be covered. I'm sure that would be a complicated thing to implement.

I don't know how I feel about the sound clips. I mean, there are so many factors. The amp, the way the clips were recorded, blah blah blah. Even if you can get like a standardized way to record sound clips, the individual listening to the clips is going to dictate how they sound because of factors like their internet connection speed or the speakers on their home PC. I'd rather just go to the store and play something if I want to know how it sounds. Although, if it's got 57 classics, or 496r and a 498t in there, I already have a good idea of what it's going to sound like. :^o

Thanks though, for requesting our opinion...

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone that provided input on what they want to see on the Gibson Web Site related to guitar information and specifications. We have the list and are working diligently to make it happen. Our main focus remains delivering the right information in a manner that both informs and entertains each and everyone of you, our loyal fans!

Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks!

What would help you get a better feel for the guitar?

I think I speak for many in the board...SAMPLES.

Seriously though, specs, pictures and soundclips. When giving soundclips, tell us what amp (and setings) are beng played through too.

If it's not too late:

-- complete, accurate specs

and not just for electrics, but for all Gibson guitars.

It's so frustrating to not be able to find the actual specs for a guitar that you're considering buying.

Archived