Gibson Brands Forums

Hand Surgery Tomorrow.

Dynadude

I was pulling my mower up onto a tilt trailer with a hand crank winch. The trailer was still tilted, and the mower was near the front, so I let go of the winch, which was supposed to lock, and turned around to get a strap out of the truck bed.

Big mistake.

The winch handle was spinning like a top when I turned back around, and it caught me in the side of my left hand. Needless to say, it hit so hard that it swung my arm back the other way, and I knew right away that something had snapped.

It did. The small bone right behind the first knuckle of my little finger was broken clean, and just behind the joint.

Going to get it pinned in the morning. Out patient surgery, and then 6 weeks of splint duty with some physical therapy after the 2nd week.

It ain't all bad though. I scored some killer pain pills, and loads of sympathy and attention from the misses.

I also decided I needed some kind of instrument that I could play with the splint, so I called a guy on Craig's list. and traded him my Jagstang for a casio Privia PX400R keyboard.

I know what you're thinking. How am I gonna play a keyboard, right?

Well, these new fangled jobs have the auto accompaniment, and the one finger chord features, so I can sound like a full orchestra with one stinkin' finger.

6 weeks with no guitar though? No way. I guess I'll figure out a way to hold a slide, and brush up on the lap steel too.

Learned a valuable lesson about winches. Don't trust 'em.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and it's lovely to see that you can take it in such a good frame of mind instead of merely whining about it. (Then again, perhaps that's just the medication kicking in...)

...6 weeks with no guitar though? No way. I guess I'll figure out a way to hold a slide' date=' and brush up on the lap steel too.

[/quote']

Way to turn lemons into lemonade. =D>

That's a major bummer though! I hope you have a quick recovery with no complications.

Best of luck.

I broke the radius in my left arm several years ago, and had wrist damage, and was scared to death.

Do ALL OF THE PHYSICAL THERAPY POSSIBLE.

Again, best to ya.

Murph.

Thanks for the well wishes all.

The surgury went fine today. They numbed my whole left arm, and it won't wear off until sometime late tonight. I keep waiting for that needle and pins feeling. ;)

They gave me more pain meds, and these are supposed to be stronger than the ones they gave me yesterday. I don't think I'll be taking the new ones though, the mild ones wipe me out. ~light weight~

Archived