Gibson Brands Forums

Brite Wires vs. Vintage Reissue Gibson Strings

Riffster

I have used bright wires ever since I bought my LP VM in 2005.

For a while I have been wanting to try Gibson vintage strings to see if they feel softer to play. I use D'Addarios and Fender strings on my other guitars.

After installing the strings the first thing I noticed was a little less resonance and volume when the guitar is unplugged, the feel of the strings is softer but not as much as I expected.

After plugging in I did notice the sound is a bit mellower especially 12th fret and higher. I will have to see how these strings feel after a little wear.

Do you guys use Gibson strings?

Who makes Gibson strings anyway?

Stiffhand

Have you tried Dean Markley Blue Steel. They use cryogenics and freeze the

strings down to -300 degrees. This aligns the steel molecules so they are stronger and I believe smoother. They last longer and sound brighter. I've been using

them for years.

CW

Stiffhand

Have you tried Dean Markley Blue Steel. They use cryogenics and freeze the

strings down to -300 degrees. This aligns the steel molecules so they are stronger and I believe smoother. They last longer and sound brighter. I've been using

them for years.

CW

I gota try those now.

I started using them in 95 and just brought my SG and Studio into have a fret

level and crown. My tech was amazed at the small amount of wear. He said he

had very little work on each. I think they bend a lot easier then other strings

because of the Cryogenics. It makes them smoother because the molecules

are all in a line. I have Cryo'd my gun barrels so they shoot more accurately

and stay accurate longer. When I raced Snowmobiles I Cryo'd the pistons and

brake calipers so they lasted longer. My Benelli Super Black Eagle II came

Cryo'd from the factory and shoots a 13% better pattern then non Cryo'd guns.

I play the Studio everyday an hour or so. I don't think that's much wear for

14 years of playing.

CW

I will have to keep the Blue Steels in mind then, I bought a 3-pack of the Gibson vintages so it is going to be a while.

I still have to try them out on my Explorer, since my Explorer has ceramic pickups and 500k pots it is bright so maybe the vintage strings will bring a good balance.

By the way I just picked a pack of RED copper/bronze strings for my acoustic. I see their ads just about everywhere so I just thought I'd try them out.

hmmm sorry but the only strings i can recommend are d'addario's.... been using them for over a year now and dont have any complaints about them.... :-s

I use D'Addarios on Fender guitars, I think they work (and feel) really good on 25.5" scale guitars. I just wish they did not "color code" the string balls, that screams "I am a newbie".

I had the opportunity to crank up my LP with the vintage strings through my Mesa and I really like them, a bit less output but sweeter tone. Sold!!

I will have to try them with my Explorer soon.

I'm totally sold on Elixir.

I use 'em both on various body style electrics and the AE.

I do think they are likely more mellow than some other strings. The super lights I use - 42-9 - sound a bit more mellow than one might expect. I like that. Other players may not.

OTOH, I've heard feedback elsewhere that the heavy flatpickers find the coating getting stripped. Not a problem for a fingerpicker, but I s'pose if you're flatpicking pretty heavily as some folks do, it could lessen the value.

Yeah, I think they last functionally "forever" if you have a light touch. I willingly pay the extra, but via mail order they're only roughly twice as expensive.

I used to use nickel on the SG type, again very light gauge. That also seemed to work quite well and last longer that other strings. The brand I used at the time ain't there any more, though, and I'm unsure of a current parallel. I felt they were a bit more mellow for gauge compared to other string types.

m

I use D'Addarios on Fender guitars' date=' I think they work (and feel) really good on 25.5" scale guitars. I just wish they did not "color code" the string balls, that screams "I am a newbie".

[/quote']

hahaha i actually like how they color coat them.... lol =D>

ive been playing for over 2 yrs now but i still have a little trouble remembering which string is which gauge.... and actually thats why i started using them in the first place.... cuz back when i first started playing i had no idea then i found out that the d'addarios were color coated and i was like "eureka!! i wont have to look up the gauges every time i break a string now lol"..... but yea anyway i started using them and theyre actually really good strings.... they sound really great to me and last longer than the fender super bullets i had been using.... and the color coating makes it SOOO much quicker to change strings when they break lol.... but the only bad thing abt that is ive just gotten used to knowing the colors and NOT the gauges (cuz i dont really need to know them ;P) so if i ever use other strings i guess ill have to actually memorize them.... =D>

i dont think im gonna change strings any time soon.... but i might try out those blue steel ones... im very intrigued by them.... =D>

Anybody ever use Elixir strings ?

They're supposed to last 3x longer than regular strings' date=' but they cost 3x as much !

[/quote']

My Taylor came strung up with them and I hated it. The webbing started coming off after a week. My guitar looked like a spider got to it. Might be my chemistry.

After trying a bunch of different strings I settled on Gibson Vintage reissues (11's only) about 7yrs ago and have not looked back. They are the only string I'll put on my SG and Sheraton. Very sweet tone, durability, and feel. They sound great with 57 or 57+ pickups.

Occasionally I experiment with other strings on my other guitars. I used to put Dean Markley 11's on a P90 equipped guitar because the G is wound.

I use the Gibson Vintage strings on both my LP Deluxe and my R9 and won't use anything else. I've got the Gibson Humbucker strings on my Flying V and they're great. I've used PRS strings that came stock on my PRS Santana and then switched to D'Addario and they're ok...still looking for a better string for that guitar. I believe I also have the D'Addario medium Jazz strings (13-56) on my Gretsch.

As far as the Elixir strings are concerned, that's all I use on all my Taylors. Never had any trouble with them as far as webbing coming apart or any other problems. evol's problem might be personal body chemistry or playing technique.

I've been playing for 37 years now and have tried most brands (Ernie Ball, Fender, Gibson, GHS, DR, D'Angelico and probably a few other brands that aren't around any more) and I seem to have found the ones that work for me. It's up to you to find what sounds and plays best for you. Happy Hunting!

Archived