Gibson Brands Forums

The inside of my USA Gibson case is bleeding something.

wheelgunner

Is it a new guitar or new case where the glue could be uncured or ??? I've never seen that in recent cases I had seen older cases bleed color if wet especially the pink cases onto light colored guitars but not what your describing.

+1

i have seen the old 90s case bleed into white guitars.

only think i can think of is maybe humidity? sounds too stupid and obvious to be right though....

I just noticed it tonight when I was playing my LP. The area of the inside of the case where the guitar jack rests is "sticky." I noticed it because the edge of the LP at the jack was also "sticky."

So I got some polish and buffed it off the guitar.

But I wonder what's oozing out of the lining?

Sounds like something is oozing out of the guitar.

I'm with RS59.

One thing I've seen with cases oozing glue was that they were left somewhere hot like an attic or garage.

The continued heat allows the glue to soften enough that the fabric lining will start to crawl and contract.

This leaves glue exposed where it was once safely covered by fabric or even cardboard.

Not really much you can do about it without ripping everything out and starting over.

Might have to simply buy a new hardcase.

My wife once suggested that we store all my guitar cases in the attic - not realizing the damage it would do.

I live in the Arizona desert....

My wife once suggested that we store all my guitar cases in the attic - not realizing the damage it would do.

When I lived in Texas we stored our xmas decorations in the attic (no basements in Texas either as Neo knows well). When I went to take the boxes down I saw this red liquid all over the place near them. Turns out it was from a big candle that had melted completely in a box!

When I lived in Texas we stored our xmas decorations in the attic (no basements in Texas either as Neo knows well). When I went to take the boxes down I saw this red liquid all over the place near them. Turns out it was from a big candle that had melted completely in a box!

a little fire spark and you xmas had been ruind ^^

I just noticed it tonight when I was playing my LP. The area of the inside of the case where the guitar jack rests is "sticky." I noticed it because the edge of the LP at the jack was also "sticky."

So I got some polish and buffed it off the guitar.

But I wonder what's oozing out of the lining?

It hasn't formed a picture of a religious ikon has it ?

Thats FUnny! I was going to say you got yourself a winner there, but then again, you took her advice.

As for the sticky stuff?

"Hell, you don't remember last night dude?" "You drank so much you puked in your guitar case after that girl showed you her VJJ"

=P~/ =P~/ O:)/ =P~/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

• Like 1

Thats FUnny! I was going to say you got yourself a winner there' date=' but then again, you took her advice.

As for the sticky stuff?

"Hell, you don't remember last night dude?" "You drank so much you puked in your guitar case after that girl showed you her VJJ"

'](*,)/ ](*,)/ ](*,)/ ](*,)/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

hahahahhahhahhahhahahaaaaaaa=d> ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

you took her advice.

Um, no.

She was quick to realize the error of her suggestion when she got "the look" from me.

:-)

No way in hell anything like that is going in my attic or garage.

And let me tell ya, I don't care how big your house - 20 guitar cases take up a lot of room!!!

Um' date=' no.

She was quick to realize the error of her suggestion when she got "the look" from me.

:-)

No way in hell anything like that is going in my attic or garage.

And let me tell ya, I don't care how big your house - 20 guitar cases take up a lot of room!!!

[/quote']

I apologize. I read it wrong. :-s

• 10 years later...

I bought a Les Paul Traditional Pro with a new case a few years back.  I've played the guitar for one session and kept it in a climate controlled storage.
I went to open it up today and found this really weird goo had gotten all over the contents of the accessary compartment.  Fortunately not on the guitar YET.
When I went to wipe off this goo I could feel it under the white fo fur and could see it oozing up through as I pushed on it.   

Clearly this glue never cured and has been sitting in the case like maple syrup.   So now I'm concerned that eventually it will get onto the guitar.

The pictures shown here is the inside of the case and the Gibson Manual with the glue goo stains.    Likely hood that I will be able to clean the inside is low.   
Likelihood other areas of the inside of the case will continue to bleed goo very high.

I called Guitar Center and they told my that the guitar purchase is covered by lifetime warranty for manufacturing defects.   But would have to call Gibson for resolution on this issue.
All I want is a replacement case.   The representative who I spoke to today at (800)4gibson told me that the cases are outsourced and not covered by warranty.  All I could do is buy another case.

One would think that part of Gibsons warranty philosophy is provide the customer with a quality case that they stand by.   But as it turns out Gibson doesn't trust the suppliers of their cases enough to cover them under warranty.   Here I am buying in a single purchase a guitar with a case.  But in actuality I wasn't as seen by the item tag in the case.  This was a $282 item that was made in a hasty fashion and if left for a long time could in fact damage your $2k purchase.     

Honestly I'm disappointed in how Gibson is handling this.

IMG_1563sm.jpg

IMG_1565sm.jpg

IMG_1564sm.jpg

Bummer..  I'd be concerned to  So if that's case made in Canada, it's a TKL case. 

I would contact them for sure.  They may be more help than Gibson, I can understand tho, they don't make the case, so not surprised they give you the brush off.   

I own over 60 guitars and I take really good care of my collection.  And I've NEVER had this happen before.   I own several Gibson custom shop guitars and when I evaluate the customer service of a guitar company I do take many things into account.   I get that a lot of this is a judgement call by the customer support rep.  How long has the customer had the item?  Are they simply trying to get something for free?  What is the real lifetime value of this particular customer?  Are we really at fault?  Etc.   But in this scenario, the only time I've ever heard of something like this the Planet Wave Humidity pack debacle.   In that scenario customers puts gel packs in their cases and in the hopes that they would control humidity and protect the instrument only to find that they exploded and got goo all over the instrument.   Planet Waves as a company they went a long way to make that right for people.    I bought this Gibson guitar with a supplied case by Gibson.  It now has goo inside the case.  Mysteriously appearing even with streaks along the edges of the case. 

TKL may be the source of the issue and maker of the case, but Gibson provided it as part of the guitar sale and placed its brand on the outside and inside.   

This product has a manufacturing defect and Gibson is not standing by the customer.  Let's see what TKL does.   But so far Gibson has majorly disappointed me.

Edited by ralph_cavallaro

15 hours ago, ralph_cavallaro said:

I own over 60 guitars and I take really good care of my collection.  And I've NEVER had this happen before.   I own several Gibson custom shop guitars and when I evaluate the customer service of a guitar company I do take many things into account.   I get that a lot of this is a judgement call by the customer support rep.  How long has the customer had the item?  Are they simply trying to get something for free?  What is the real lifetime value of this particular customer?  Are we really at fault?  Etc.   But in this scenario, the only time I've ever heard of something like this the Planet Wave Humidity pack debacle.   In that scenario customers puts gel packs in their cases and in the hopes that they would control humidity and protect the instrument only to find that they exploded and got goo all over the instrument.   Planet Waves as a company they went a long way to make that right for people.    I bought this Gibson guitar with a supplied case by Gibson.  It now has goo inside the case.  Mysteriously appearing even with streaks along the edges of the case. 

TKL may be the source of the issue and maker of the case, but Gibson provided it as part of the guitar sale and placed its brand on the outside and inside.   

This product has a manufacturing defect and Gibson is not standing by the customer.  Let's see what TKL does.   But so far Gibson has majorly disappointed me.

The conditions of the Warranty mean everything,  I happen to have my warranty for my SJ200.  I see nothing that talks about the case, so legally I guess if it comes to it, Gibson can just push it off.  I'm not saying it's right, it just is what it is.   This is hopefully something TKL has some previous history of, and has a way to make it right.  Good luck Ralph!