Gibson Brands Forums

Wot Songs..

Towzend

I'm always looking for some 'new' songs to play, i also think it keeps you 'fresh'.. without getting board

playing the same ol' stuff every time you pick up the guitar!

So, wots your latest songs your bin playing (lurning?)

My latest ones have been.. Jack un Diane.. love the cord struture!

Petes Drowned.. awsome!

A couple of Oasis, im not a fan but i see Noel

do acoustic stuff that made me have a go.. Little by little

Stop cryin you heart out

Around the world.

Oh yeah.. i watched the 'Grizzly man' thing on the TV the other night

and got me playing 'Coyote' wot a sad song..

Over to you guys...

That Coyote song is very popular!

I'm learning Wichita Lineman, which is a complete waste of time because it really can't be sung by a woman, but I do love the chord progressions in it. I love learning new chords. Bbmaj7..... the action's gotta be good on the guitar to pull that one off cleanly.

I'm also working on Born To Fly by Sara Evans and Moon River, which I've pretty much got down now. Time to find 3 more songs. The ex used to say work on 3 songs at a time. That's the right amount to keep you from getting bored, but not so much as to overwhelm you.

I might tackle Mariano by Robert Earl Keen Jr next. The chords are easy. The hard part is giving it the same feeling that he does. I'm perpetually working on Long Long Time by Linda Ronstadt. The chords are easy, but they're frequent and hard to do in arpeggio-type style without sounding choppy.

Last night, just for fun, I learned (don't laugh) Sugar Sugar by the Archies. It took me about 5 minutes to get that one down and it's one of those songs that everyone will love to sing along to when in a group. It's a useful song to learn. Three chords!

I'm lazy.....

But I have been messing with "Caravan" with my 9 year old daughter. She plays rhythm on her Studio Les Paul in the Champ, and I play the lead stuff with my normal production ES-339 through an old Fender Prosonic. There are many versions, so it's not cut in stone, but has a cool bunch of chords, and we just have the "Lester & Chester" cd for a reference.

It's just for fun, eh?

Hey Karen! Nobody's laughing 'cause we've all jammed to the Archies! If they deny it, they're lying!!! My new songs are:

1. You Remind Me Of The Blues - by Seldom Scene

2. The One I Love - by R.E.M.

3. New Kid In Town - by the Eagles

4. Cryin' - by Roy Orbison

1. "Killer Queen" Queen (Brian May's harmonic texture is amazing)

2. "Panama" Van Halen (After I slowly keep turning up the gain)

3. "Hurricane" and "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young (the latter is fun to sing to when no one's listening)

4. "That's the Way" Led Zeppelin "Cocaine Eyes" Rolling Stones (both in open G, open tunings always fun to mess with)

it has always been my intention to be be intentionally unintentional. so last monday at open mic i played a cheesy slow version of 'surrender' by cheap trick. i had the table in from of me singing along with the "mommy's alright, daddy's alright" part. i wanted to be robin zander when i was a kid but i ended up more like rick neilsen.

A couple of challenging songs to learn are 'Lungs' by Townes Van Zandt, 'Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong and pretty much anything from mid-period ('Today' to 'Keepin' The Summer Alive') Beach Boys.

Learning Beach Boys songs really helped me to understand adventurous chordal structures and progressions, and also gave me a real insight into outta-the-box arrangements for songs.

Limehouse Blues - Django Reinhardt. Only the chords and slow!

Babylon - David Gray. With Liz my singing partner.

Clues - Paul Weller

Hole Hearted - Extreme. Still trying to get the speed on this one - what a song for the 12 string!

Townzend - Drowned is one of my favourite ever songs, especially PT's acoustic version. I'd love to know how you aproach it. Seems to have a mixture of finger picking and strumming. Do tell.

P.S. My mate has shown me a great way to play Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis. Capoed at 2nd fret G shape maintaining the 3rd fret on the top e and b string ala Wonderwall, if you know what I mean (i.e. A and E). Great song on the acoustic.

Townzend - Drowned is one of my favourite ever songs' date=' especially PT's acoustic version. I'd love to know how you aproach it. Seems to have a mixture of finger picking and strumming. Do tell.[/quote']

I've been trying to work on finger picking (usually do strumming on my 12 string).. But I'm trying anyway..

John Barleycorn - Traffic

and

Hesitation Blues - Acoustic Hot Tuna (Jorma Kaukonen/Jack Casady)

(1.) 12 string strum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOH-9Lr6Jio&feature=related

(2.) 6 string finger pick: "Who Are You Now" Justin Hayward/ Moody Blues

(3.) Ditto: "Shadows" G. Lightfoot

*get your hands on that "Use of Ashes" P.B.S. album if you can. The sample here from that album does not represent the most striking tune on the album. Good luck on any of them.

Only 3 songs at a time, huh?

I've been working on

Second Chance- Shinedown

Glycerine- Bush

Tupelo- an original take on John Lee Hooker's version

Stormy Monday- (still working out pieces of my lead.)

Automobile- ZZ Top (mostly trying to sing it while playing =P~ )

Born Under a Bad Sign- Pat Travers

- Paul Reddick and the Sidemen (yeah, the Coke commercial song)

and half a dozen or so originals.

3 you say?

oops.

:D

That sounds great. Any tab/chords you can share - I haven't looked on Chordie yet.

I got both of them from the LPs years ago..

I don't know how in heavens name I remembered even parts of them.

These links will be better than my Al Z. Heimers memory...

John Barleycorn Chords/lyrics link:

http://www.guitaretab.com/t/traffic/19636.html

Hesitation Blues- Hot Tuna style...

http://www.guitaretab.com/h/hot-tuna/8578.html

Recommended equipment for hesitation blues. (Not mine... But it's on my list for Santa)...

Repli.jpg

I'm learning Wichita Lineman' date=' which is a complete waste of time because it really can't be sung by a woman, but I do love the chord progressions in it. I love learning new chords. Bbmaj7..... the action's gotta be good on the guitar to pull that one off cleanly.[/quote']

GeeGirl ...Don't be afraid to change the lyrics around to suit yourself. I think too many people are afraid to re-write lyrics to make it their own. LineGirl ? Line-Chick? telecommunication line installer - OK ...that might be difficult to even sing :D This is off a Job Posting: Title JOURNEYMAN - Lineman/Linewoman

I am a linewoman for the county, and I drive the main road

searchin' in the sun for another overload.

I hear you singing in the wires, I can hear you through the whine

And the Wichita Linewoman is still on the line.

I am currently working on mixing the lyrics of "Love Me Tender" and "Aura Lee" into a mash up of the two songs.

E.C. - Nobody Loves you when you are down and out

MJH - My Creole Bell

Jackson Browne - Take it Easy

The WaterBoys - When Ye' Go Away

Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Give a Little Bit - Supertramp - still figuring out some chords

Rainbow Ride - Andy Kim

Collide - Howie Day

Fred

Hi Fred. I do Give A Little Bit as well. Another really great song for the 12 string. Let me know which chords you are struggling with and I'll try and help where I can. I "worked it out" by ear so it might not be exactly how Roger Hodgson plays it but it works for me. I don't sing it as it's to high for me but can do the harmonies.

The last song I learned to sing & play is "Sivri Kaya"- the first song onto that page:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=957941

The translation of the title is "Sharp Stone"

This is my last song - I made the music two weeks ago.

The lyrics are in bulgarian language.

Played on M-R GIBS SJ 200 Custom Elite.

Recorded on a ZOOM H4 in my kitchen.

Archived