Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

jlb32

You don't really know what you are talking about. If you are not a Metallica fan that is fine but the notion that everything Page did is gold is not true and you know it. Knocking down Hetfield and rhythm guitar players. Malcolm Young has a signtaure guitar' date=' does he not deserve it either?

Metallica has been together for almost 30 years and they still rock, Led Zeppelin was together for 10 years and during those 10 years they had their peak. Page has not done anything relevant since.

[/quote']

I did not say everything Page did is gold- like any artist, Zeppelin had its ups and downs. I said I liked "In Through the Out Door". Are you trying to say that everything Metallica has done over the course of that time is gold? Cause it's not. I do like Metallica to some extent, in fact I mentioned "Kill 'em All" which I think is amazing.

As for Gibson's signature guitars, I did not say that every artist that has one is deserving of one. All I did was question the reasoning behind giving Hetfield a sig. I am just a little fed up with this overemphasis on a Hetfield signature. Like I said earlier, I wish it existed so this conversation could end.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's true then it's hilarious. Back in the 90's when I subscribed to Guitar I never understood how Hammett kept winning the metal guitarist polls. There's far better guitarists than him in the big thrash bands alone' date=' not to mention metal as a whole. Then I realised it's a popularity contest above anything else, and that most people are dumb as all hell.

[/quote']

Goes to show you people just vote for the musicians in their favorite bands in polls. Not much different then all-star game voting in sports. All homer voting

I love Metalica but does James Hetfield realy rank a sig guitar?=D>

I don't see how anyone would think he doesn't rank a Gibson signature guitar. I've personally never seen anything about signature guitars just being for lead players and Hetfield is FAR from your ordinary rhythm guitarist. Wether someone likes Metallica or hates them really has nothing to do with his ability and influence over so many people and bands.

JamesHetfieldGibsonSG.jpg

Sorry, got to this late.....

Yes Zakk may have whored himself with signature guitars, but as a guitarist.....I'm sorry to hurt anyones feelings....

He is as fine a player as anyone who has ever played. He may not be your style, but as far as skill goes....He he knows his SH*t.

I love Metalica. They are a dual guitar band....Different critter all together. In order for 2 players to vibe.....Certain give and takes are made.

Zakk is wide open and the afterburners are engaged!!! (The advantage of a single guitar band).

IMO

I'm 43 and grew up with Metal....Literally!! Speed is fine but Style must rule the day. What everyone called selling out (Black ALbum), I call near perfection.

It ain't just about speed.....I needs to involve melody.

Zakk's Black Label work has never interested me, but with Ozzy...I find blissfull guitar. Metal at its finest.

I'm sorry...what was the topic?=D>

Oh yeah.....Who needs signature guitars? Pure marketing tactics....Nothing to do with music.

The only signature that matters is the Gibson Logo.

The problem with signature Les Pauls is they always include Epi's as well. I have never seen Zakk play an Epi.

If his signature is worth $200 on an Epi, then why is it worth $800 on a Les Paul Custom? Your buying something that won't make you a better player.

Sorry' date=' got to this late.....

I'm sorry...what was the topic?:-

Oh yeah.....Who needs signature guitars? Pure marketing tactics....Nothing to do with music.

The only signature that matters is the Gibson Logo.

The problem with signature Les Pauls is they always include Epi's as well. I have never seen Zakk play an Epi.

If his signature is worth $200 on an Epi, then why is it worth $800 on a Les Paul Custom? [b']Your buying something that won't make you a better player.[/b]

=D> They all have strings, pickups, body and neck.

I would buy a Hetfield signature but I'm working on turning my Gibson into one that he would use.

I'm 43 and grew up with Metal....Literally!! Speed is fine but Style must rule the day.

Same here, and like I said before, it was nice to have such killer music and not have to grow up following bands of the past exclusively.

This is how I turned my Byrdland into a Nugent signature model:

3714_small.jpg

truss_cover.jpg

Some might find this surprising but there was nothing really magical about the two guitars of his that I've played (his black Byrdland and a PRS). Each had the action set low --- without buzzing --- just as many of us do.

If his guitars were any indication, there's no magical secret setup that our guitar legends are privy to.

Those Byrdlands are pretty sweet. I like the way you had Nugent sign the truss rod cover. I personally hate autographs on the body of a guitar. I think the truss rod cover or the back plate are the best places.

I personally really love this Gibson Rusty Flying V of Hetfields.

JamesHetfieldGibsonRustyFlyingV.jpg

[-o< They all have strings' date= pickups, body and neck.

I would buy a Hetfield signature but I'm working on turning my Gibson into one that he would use. [/quote]

Are you working on a Explorer, Flying V or Les Paul? I'd like to see Gibson and Hetfield come up with something completely new for a signature guitar instead of remaking one of his old guitars.

If they ever did get together I'm sure it would be a Les Paul shape since that seems to be his preferred model these days but he still uses alot of explorers and V's also.

Nice move by the mods =D> even though this subject isn't about a Gibson Custom Shop Signature Series instrument since Hetfield doesn't have one.

Over 3 weeks where it was then moved. Interesting, I guess it wasn't to somes liking. :-k

It was all downhill after Metallica's "Kill Em All".

O:)=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

"Garage Days" was a flash in the pan though. Whoever said style must rule the day (vs. speed) forgot that speed was part of the original essence of metal's style ----> lack of metal speed=lack of metal style.

Think about it: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. had a slow tune here & there, but only a fool would say that speed isn't integral to the original style of metal. When you abandon your influences, your style falls apart & turns into crossover mainstream mush.

Having said that, Hetfield has beaucoup fanboys who would looooove to have a signature guitar to beat off on ... & Gibson is foolish to not cash in.

Are you working on a Explorer' date=' Flying V or Les Paul? I'd like to see Gibson and Hetfield come up with something completely new for a signature guitar instead of remaking one of his old guitars.

If they ever did get together I'm sure it would be a Les Paul shape since that seems to be his preferred model these days but he still uses alot of explorers and V's also.[/quote']

i'm turning my axe into a Hetfield signature -except some little particulars-

everyway.. why this thread has been moved Gibson custom part of the forum? =P~

i'm turning my axe into a Hetfield signature -except some little particulars-

everyway.. why this thread has been moved Gibson custom part of the forum? :D

Cool' date=' congrats on the axe and post some pictures when you are done.

I guess it was moved because you have some whiners that get their way with the mods here.O:)

It was where it was originally posted for over 3 weeks [u'][/u]with even the mod posting in the thread for page 1. He didn't seem to have a problem with it then or for the last several weeks.

Now all of a sudden it's been moved, to a section that no one visits and doesn't relate to the subject as much as where it was, since it didn't disappear like some probably wanted.

Cool' date=' congrats on the axe and post some pictures when you are done.

I guess it was moved because you have some whiners that get their way with the mods here.O:)

It was where it was originally posted for over 3 weeks [u'][/u]with even the mod posting in the thread for page 1. He didn't seem to have a problem with it then or for the last several weeks.

Now all of a sudden it's been moved, to a section that no one visits and doesn't relate to the subject as much as where it was, since it didn't disappear like some probably wanted.

I'll post pics tuesday/wednesday

• 2 weeks later...

I friggin' LOVE Metallica.

Here's a thought ... I saw Billy Bob Thorton on Bill Maher a while back who posed a question to a young person which was basically- "What bands/musicians have came out in the last 25-30 years that people will still be listening to 50 years from now?" The girl named a few artists who were all from "his" day, Springsteen being one, his point being that not one single band/musician in the last 3 decades would be remembered. I was screaming "METALLICA!! METALLICA!!" at the TV ...lol. Like an idiot.

Anyway, I know this discussion is about sig models so not to completely highjack the thread I think he deserves one although I don't think I'd spend the extra cash on a sig. But does anyone agree/disagree with that? I think Metallica'll be remembered for decades to come. The music they made 25 years ago is still as relevant now as it was to me back then.

• 2 weeks later...

ESP give them to much cash. We all saw what happened when James started using the 73 black beauty, ESP freaked out and released some gay version of it and asked James to use theirs instead on stage. I would love to see a Gibson custom shop replica of James' Turkish Cross LP but I wont hold my breath. you only have to watch Some kind of monster to see that both Metallica guitarists love to use Gibson just as much ESP these days, if not more. Please Gibson make something happen!!

Yeah... ESPs are geat for metal music. But Gibsons the the king daddys in my opinion. I got rid of all my ESPs once I discovered Gibson Les Pauls!

I agree. I still own a few ESP's but my Gibsons just sound and play much better overall.

I personally think a Hetfield Gibson Les Paul signature would be a huge seller but if not a Les Paul his "Rusty" Gibson explorer would be perfect for a Signature explorer, which I don't think Gibson has any of at the moment.

This is an interesting thread, however I have to say that after playing guitar for over 40 years and still doing so debating whether guitarists at present are any good or agreeing how brilliant they are is to coin a phrase, ' an irrelevant debate'. What I mean by that is that every guitarist unless they get injured or cease to play will get better as the years go by even if they are brilliant from a young age. For example, Joe Bonnamassa, brilliant at a young age and improving all the time, and since Jimmy Page was mentioned at the top of this thread somewhere, listen to his very early playing when he was in his teens and early twenties, it's sh1t compared to where he is now and having said that he is slightly worse now than he was when Zeppelin were at their peak.

Here's something you should all try to gauge your own playing ability, video or audio record your self playing something, preferably something you've written or improvised (because purpose learned pieces aren't a true reflection of your ability, it's just playing parrot fashion). Listen to it just to check you've got ot recorded then put it away for 4 or 5 months then listen to again and if you are already a semi competent and keen player, I'll bet you are surprised at just how good your recording sounds.:- :-

Archived