Gibson Brands Forums

Do you take off all strings or 1 at a time

Laney1566

Its how you remove them that matters. If you just cut them all off without detuning them' date=' thats going to **** up your neck. If you detune one string at a time then take it off it wont hurt your neck that much. [/quote']

if its a well made neck, truss rod, and guitar it should hold up fine to detuning em....

I never cut em all off.... that is too much of a risk

I take mine off all at once. My theory behind it is that when you make a truss rod adjustment, it takes a good hour before it settles. If that's the case, you've got an hour before the neck is going to experience any changes due to string removal. So, if you can get the strings off, clean the fretboard, and get the new strings back on in under an hour, you should be safe. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I take mine off all at once. My theory behind it is that when you make a truss rod adjustment' date=' it takes a good hour before it settles. If that's the case, you've got an hour before the neck is going to experience any changes due to string removal. So, if you can get the strings off, clean the fretboard, and get the new strings back on in under an hour, you should be safe. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.[/quote']

Finally a real answer in favor removing all of them.

I've been playing 30 years now and changed more strings than I care to remember. This wasn't a novice question. I was simply looking for a reason why someone believes it's safe to remove all at once. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age and would find it easier to remove all at once for cleaning. I would never cut a tensioned string off the guitar. I don't believe it would hurt the guitar, after all...that is what happens when a string breaks anyway, but it's easy enough to use the speed winder to take tension off. I don't cut off the string unless it gets hung up on the tuner and only after tension is removed. I hate trying to bend the string straight in order to pull it through the hole in the peg with the smallest strings. I always seem to poke myself.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Archived