Gibson Brands Forums

I think I'm getting a Marshall...

Thundergod

What model do you think is better?

I've never really cared for marshall amps, I've owned 3 (2 tube and 1 POS solid state) and none of them really did it for me. Anyway there's a new marshall dealer in town and he's got some 10 or more models between heads and combos, I'll go and try some next week and see if I like one of them enough to bring it home with me.

Which one do you recomend?

I've never really cared for marshall amps' date=' I've owned 3 (2 tube and 1 POS solid state) and none of them really did it for me. Anyway there's a new marshall dealer in town and he's got some 10 or more models between heads and combos, I'll go and try some next week and see if I like one of them enough to bring it home with me.

Which one do you recomend?[/quote']

TG, what has happened with your own amp line?

TG I have one of the VM's like 959 only I have the 2266 50 watt head and it sounds great for a new Marshall. Personally I like it run through Greenbacks, but a cab with a V30 and G12H30 also sounds great. Don't forget to try the different speakers for the heads they all sound different.

CW

The Marshalls I liked were the ones with the fewest knobs.. ( late 60's early 70's)

Some of these new models have 20 knobs and switches!

Good luck Thunder...Keep us posted.

My AVT has 24 knobs and 8 switches for 2 clean and 2 overdrive channels and efx .............excessive.....yes.

Don't by new. Find a JMP or an 800 on ebay or somewhere. If your gonna go Marshall do it right. If you want a New amp buy something else you can get a better deal on something else. As well do yourself a favor and get a 50 watt if you get a Marshall.

Hi Mick

I was under the same impression about the old Marshalls. I have a JTM 50 and JCM800 2204. There was another member on the forms here that hasn't been on in a while that talked about the VM as being great amps. One came up on CL and when I tried it out for the price I had to get it. This a great soundiing new Marshall and I think you would be surprise.

CW

the big problem for me is the newer models seem to have a lot of problems. They just aren't built like tanks anymore. It's not so much about the tone with me. I bought a JCM 2000 when they very first came out it was a work horse. but than all the later models of that amp I hear nothing but repair stories at the Marshall forums and guys I know. It didn't take very many guys asking if they could use my JMP for their set because there new Marshall was in the shop again for me to grow a distrust of them.

I've never really cared for marshall amps' date=' I've owned 3 (2 tube and 1 POS solid state) and none of them really did it for me. Anyway there's a new marshall dealer in town and he's got some 10 or more models between heads and combos, I'll go and try some next week and see if I like one of them enough to bring it home with me.

Which one do you recomend?[/quote']

I think there is an old Chinese proverb that goes something like this, "To do the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity" so if you never cared for them in the past my suggestion is to just try some out and listen and then perhaps wait a week or two and go again to listen and then make a decision.

Mick now I'm a bit nervous.LOL I heard about all the repairs on the new Marshall's and your right the new one are no tanks that's for sure. I just haven't seen that many reports of a bad VM. That's not to say there not out there. Thanks for the heads up I will be looking to see now.

CW

Thunder....get a nice clean Plexi (50 or 100 watt...depending on your requirements). All the stuff you need, none of what you don't.

If it's for small clubs/bars only, the new "Haze" should be great! But, the Plexi will always be MY favorite "Marshall." I used to own

a "Pig," (Marshall Major 200 (tube) watts) back in the late 60's. It was Awesome sounding...but, too loud for anywhere we played,

except "outdoors." Anyway...just my "2-cents."

Here's a shot, with my Marshall Major (nice "bedroom amp") from 1969...I was 19 at the time.

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

Archived