Gibson Brands Forums

Your top ten guitar solos...ever.

Jayson

This should be fun. NO BASHING OTHERS LISTS. Mine, for instance, is hardly canonical, or even a definitive showing of prowess, but rather consists of the solos that resonate most with me, personally.

10. The opening solo to "Grab It" by Dinosaur Jr. Farther back in my list, but if you seek out anything out of all that I put here, seriously, you need to go LISTEN to this. (0:00-0:28)

9. Ten Speed of God's Blood And Burial, by Coheed and Cambria (1:56-2:21)

8. Drive, by Incubus (2:28-2:51)

7. Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart, by Stone Temple Pilots...pure messy greatness (1:51-2:20)

6. Over Your Shoulder, by Dinosaur Jr....such a well written solo, J. Mascis wrecks(3:21-3:57)

5. Viscera Eyes, by The Mars Volta (6:05-7:52)

4. I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You (Live, Where The Light Is DVD), by John Mayer (6:35-8:30)

3. The Willing Well 1: Fuel For the Feeding End, by Coheed and Cambria (4:26- 5:02)

2. Impossible Germany (Live, Ashes of American Flags DVD), by Wilco (2:46-5:47)

1. At Least That's What You Said, by Wilco...God BLESS Jeff Tweedy. He described this as a musical transcription of one of his panic attacks. It's that..and so much more. True, heartbreaking, feedback drenched painful beauty(3:13- 5:16)

Hmm...this is gona be hard...

10.Intestinal Incubation by Necrophagist. Somethign diffrent here...

9. Raining blood...i loved it becuase no one else in the world knows how to play it right...lol.

8. Cold by At The Gates I like it becuase the intro was just amazing

7. Pull the Plug by Death. Classic tapping solo intro on the Low E, A and D strings which was sick!

6. Good times Bad times by led zep, ****ing classic!

5.Angel Of Disease By morbid angel, like 2/4 of the song is a solo!

4. Spirtual Healing by death, never saw it coming!

3. Within the mind by death, perfect timing and pure metal.

2. Painkiller by Judas preist and death's cover.

1. Mr. crowley by ozzy. No need to explain this one...just great!

This is really hard for me to do. I'll try (no specific order).

1. Randy Rhoads - Crazy Train (Classic)

2. Randy Rhoads - Believer (evil version of Mr. Crowley)

3. Randy Rhoads - Mr. Crowley (pretty long with many great ideas)

4. Eddie Van Halen - Jump

5. Eddie Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

6. Eddie Van Halen - Spanish Fly

7. Zakk Wylde - No more tears

8. Buckethead - Binge and Grab (because of the of the awesome grooviness followed by shredding and then slowing down for an ending).

9. Buckethead - Nun Chuka Kata (just keeps on going!)

10. Buckethead - Spell of the Gypsies (a lot of the melody is soloing). Really goes somewhere. AMAZING!

Ain't gonna do it by numbers - and it ain't gonna be rock. Hmmmm.

Why not rock? Interfacing with a combo is way different from a solo gig.

1. Anything by Segovia - but Bach's Chaconne hasta be right up there, especially given the master's emphasis on "feel." Also, who else in the world would have a repertoire of some 500 different sorts of pieces for solo guitar? Sheesh.

2. Anything by Carlos Montoya. Kinda the same reasons.

3. Joe Pass, ditto.

4. Doc Watson, ditto

5. Roy Buchannan about 90 percent ditto.

6. BB King too, even though not much pure solo. Just class, especially as an older guy.

7. Chet Atkins ditto. Never heard him do a bad gig, solo or with a group.

..... I'm sure I'm missing gobs of great pickers, but these are kinda the classic guitarists to me. They ain't close to playing the same style, but all of 'em played so you could hear their insides. Watson may seem less in ways due to the traditional "I'll sing about dead bodies all over the place but won't directly show my personal emotion of it" ethos of his music - but it's there regardless.

Sorry if I've left out a lot of very skilled and talented folks - or some who just plain "hit it" with a great solo that became a classic like Link Wray and "Rumble." But... Great pickers'? The guys I mentioned are, and by almost any criteria.

m

I could list ten Jimmy Page solos, but I'll list my favorite and go on to other bands. Had to go more than ten (not in order)

Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann

Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan

Down Payment Blues - AC/DC

Rock Steady - Bad Company

Bloodsucker - Deep Purple

Fire And Water - Free

Sing Child Sing - Heart

Got To Choose - Kiss

Workin For MCA - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Blue Jean Blues - ZZ Top

My Love - The Wings

I'll think of more later

...Angel Of Disease By morbid angel' date=' like 2/4 of the song is a solo!.... [/quote']

Like uh, 2/4, uh, that would be, like uh, 1/2!

All this math is wearing me out, so here's a few, but not 10, of my favorites:

Crossroads (Cream)

Amphetamine Annie (Canned Heat)

Time Was (Canned Heat)

Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Derek and the Dominos)

and, for you Neil Young bashers, Like a Hurricane

In no particular order because I like them all.

Kiss My Axe - Al DiMeola

Your's is no disgrace - Yes

Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan (Larry Carlton on guitar)

Cause We Ended as Lovers - Jeff Beck

The Clap - Steve Howe

Free For All - Ted Nugent

Cliffs of Rock City - Brad Paisley

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John (Davey Johnston on guitar)

Foreplay Long Time - Boston

Well, being more of an acoustic type I can't come up with ten (on the spot) but two immediately popped into my head so I'll go with those.

1. That little bit in Ride My See Saw by MB

2. This one...... the quality is absolutely horrendous but I bet I've watched this thing a few hundred times....

SRV and Jeff Healey...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY[/YOUTUBE]

Yo Karen...

Ain't nothin' from the old Tyson stuff you liked acoustic leads to? <grin> Wasn't it Monte Dunn on a lotta the older stuff? Or... am I just showin' my age.

Or... Doc Watson?

Hope it isn't much more chilly in Alberta; ain't exactly weather for an outdoor rodeo.

m

Yo Karen...

Ain't nothin' from the old Tyson stuff you liked acoustic leads to? <grin> Wasn't it Monte Dunn on a lotta the older stuff? Or... am I just showin' my age.

Or... Doc Watson?

Hope it isn't much more chilly in Alberta; ain't exactly weather for an outdoor rodeo.

m

How about Salt Creek by Doc Watson? That's one long solo LOL!

Milod, we broke records here this Thanksgiving weekend. We hit -16 C, breaking the previous record of -13 C. I've just about had enough of this Alberta business. Time to warm up and move up to the North West territories.

These are all completely personal and ones that lead me to the guitar or took me in another direction

1.You Only Live Twice-Nancy Sinatra (John Barry)

2.Goodbye To Love-The Carpenters

3.Nuages-Django Reinhardt

4.Silver Girl-Survivor

5.Eric Clapton and Robert Cray covering Have You Ever Lved A Woman at the Albert Hall around 88

6.Midnight Express-Nuno Bettencourt

7.Diary Of A Madman-Randy Rhoads

8.Nice Problem To Have-Jeff Healey

9.The entire album Bach Guitar by Yepes

10.Latin Guitar by Marecelo Kayath

10 and a half; Jerry's Breakdown with Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins

This should be fun. NO BASHING OTHERS LISTS. Mine' date=' for instance, is hardly canonical, or even a definitive showing of prowess, but rather consists of the solos that resonate most with me, personally.

10. The opening solo to "Grab It" by Dinosaur Jr. Farther back in my list, but if you seek out anything out of all that I put here, seriously, you need to go LISTEN to this. (0:00-0:28)

9. Ten Speed of God's Blood And Burial, by Coheed and Cambria (1:56-2:21)

8. Drive, by Incubus (2:28-2:51)

7. Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart, by Stone Temple Pilots...pure messy greatness (1:51-2:20)

6. Over Your Shoulder, by Dinosaur Jr....such a well written solo, J. Mascis wrecks(3:21-3:57)

5. Viscera Eyes, by The Mars Volta (6:05-7:52)

4. I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You (Live, Where The Light Is DVD), by John Mayer (6:35-8:30)

3. The Willing Well 1: Fuel For the Feeding End, by Coheed and Cambria (4:26- 5:02)

2. Impossible Germany (Live, Ashes of American Flags DVD), by Wilco (2:46-5:47)

1. At Least That's What You Said, by Wilco...God BLESS Jeff Tweedy. He described this as a musical transcription of one of his panic attacks. It's that..and so much more. True, heartbreaking, feedback drenched painful beauty(3:13- 5:16)[/quote']

1. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFj67L0wIc[/YOUTUBE] (better on the original "One More From the Road" version...)

2. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwWXDMVbbs&feature=PlayList&p=BA055CD0EB43ED5E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24[/YOUTUBE]

3. [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

4. Around the 4:30 minute mark of "The White Room" of the 24 Nights CD of Clapton's work....

5: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iYS5F2TBA[/YOUTUBE] Better on 24 Nights CD....

6. The intro to [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

7. Around 3:23 of [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Some of my faves. Not because I think they're the most awsome playing, but just because I like them and think they serve the song well.

One of These Nights - Eagles

Aqualung - Jethro Tull

Jet City Woman - Queensryche

Heartbreaker - Rolling Stones

Stairway To Heaven - had to say it

Ricky Don't Lose That Number - I'm surprised how many others put that one too

Lonely Is The World - Black Sabbath

I'll Wait - Van Halen

Southern Man - Niel Young

Sign of the Gypsy Queen - April Wine

Well' date=' being more of an acoustic type I can't come up with ten (on the spot) but two immediately popped into my head so I'll go with those.

1. That little bit in Ride My See Saw by MB

2. This one...... the quality is absolutely horrendous but I bet I've watched this thing a few hundred times....

SRV and Jeff Healey...[/quote']

Oh, man.... it's tough to recognize that both of these guys are gone... wow...

GG: Thanks for "remembering" for all us old guys!

For me... #1 John Entwhistle in "My Generation"

#2 John Entwhistle in almost every other WHO song.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Bob

Archived