Gibson Brands Forums

would you put schaller/ jim dunlop strap locks on your LP VOS???

wonderman

Hi everybody,

my dream came true, and i bought my 1st gibson for 3 weeks from now. I´m a real happy man now! ehehhe

ok, it´s a gibson custom shop, VOS gold top (antique gold - yes a little aged, just a little #-o) with dark back , 2007.

my question is, i was thinking if i should put strap lock´s like schaller or jim dunlop, but... i´ll change originallity of my guitar (ok i´m being a little fundamentalist, but it´s true... i have to take off that original piece to put one non original, and will i damage the wood if the screw is wider or thinner...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things to consider:

In what situation are you gonna play this guitar? If its anything other than playing sitting down in a home studio, I would put straplocks on (Schallers, definetely). If you're gonna gig with it, or hell even stand up using it, it would be a wise idea.

Think of it as protecting your investment. Would you rather 'damage' your guitar with straplocks or risk it snapping the headstock off? If I remember correctly, I think the Schaller screws are about the same size as the stock buttons so there shouldn't be any real damage anyway. If there is a size difference, you can always file down the screw head (as they have to be quite small for the Schallers) and use the same size screw.

Unless you're gonna sell the guitar, then who cares about bringing the value down (hell, by what, a few bucks?).

But to answer your question: YES, I would do it mine. I would add straplocks to every guitar I own, with the exception being a valuable vintage guitar (in which case, I wouldn't be playing it in a situation that would risk it falling off a strap).

The originality of your guitar will change a lot more if the strap slips off and it slams into the ground. I had that happen *once* about 25 years ago with the first guitar I ever owned and I've used strap locks ever since.

At some point, you have to decide if you bought the guitar as a player or collector. If collector, stick in the case, put it under your bed then take it out once every month or so to admire it for a few minutes then put it back. If player, put the strap locks on and stop worrying so much about selling your new guitar.

ok, thank you all!

but some things to clarify:

my problem is NOT about selling my new guitar, i will not sell it NEVER! #-o

my only problem was: i´ve waited 15 years to make my dream came true, and now this guitar means so much for me, you know? that changing a little thing costs me a little! ehehe

just for you to get to know my point of view, my first acoustic guitar is still with me, my first electric (that my father gave to me, 14 years ago - i had 13 years old by then...) is still with me, i´ve bought 2 years ago an Ibanez RG Prestige (veeeeeeery good guitar) and is still with me, and now i have my all time dream guitar. this is MY value, not MONEY value you know? I´m a player of course (I really use my instruments, amplifiers, etc, to exaustion, but I really take care of my material) but in my heart i´m a collector, someone that work to acheive his targets should understand what i mean.

so, i´m playing at studio, at home, at gig´s, i should put a schaller, i believe O:)

by the way, in ibanez i don´t feel like i need to do it, i play with that guitar for 2 years and never lost my strap, because of the position of the guitar (strap is much more AWAY of my body). In gibson, i feel that strap will jump out of the guitar - it´s all about body design of guitars - i play with guitars in the middle of my legs, in a + - 45 degrees of inclination, so gibson strap is almost in my belly.

I can't really speak for anybody else but in my opinion the position of the top button on a LP just screams "let me fall to the floor! yay!"

Trust me, the thought of putting straplocks on a guitar is much more invasive than it actually is, and you won't have any regrets if you do.

Unless you're super confident in doing it, you may want to have a tech put them on for you. I'm handy enough with tools, but when it came to doing it I was so shaky...it was like trying to do brain surgery on my wife. :-)

In a heart beat. I have Schallers on ALL of my guitars. It was the second thing I did when I got it home (the first was to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming). Sitting or Standing, if you use a strap you MUST use locks.

Congrats on your GT, I'm loving mine.

I can't really speak for anybody else but in my opinion the position of the top button on a LP just screams "let me fall to the floor! yay!"

YEAH that´s it... eheheh

Unless you're super confident in doing it' date=' you may want to have a tech put them on for you. I'm handy enough with tools' date=' but when it came to doing it I was so shaky...it was like trying to do brain surgery on my wife. :-)[/quote'']

... and i suppose brain surgery to our wifes is less painfull than gibson surgery! LOL

no, really, of course it will be simplier than i think (i´m a guy that have mounted a TREMOL-NO in my ibanez with edge-pro bridge, so i can do anything! ehehe), my only problem is fragilizing that wood-hole of original screw vs. schaller screw - of course if screws are equal this is not a problem! O:)

silverbursted, yes, sitting or standing it´s a pain, sitting I have even more angle (even sitted i play with guitar in the middle of legs).

and thank you! i really love my GT... :#-o

I use Schallers on all of mine. On the Gibsons, just take the Gibby screw and turn it down in an electric drill until it fits the Schaller button. It will still bite the original threads if you do it right. A little wood glue on the screw and you're good to go. You can also bore out the hole on the Schaller button, but that doesn't seem as secure to me.

Depends on the guitar. I like the Schallers best for all my guitars except for my SG Junior where I use the Dunlop locks. The Schallers have a knob that sticks out which jabs me in the gut when used with guitars where the strap button is behind the neck opposed to being located on the upper bout or horn.

The reason I prefer Schallers is the design makes it practically impossible for it come lose even if the strap locks were to malfunction because of the way the strap part cups under the button.

On the other hand, the nice thing about Dunlop locks is that you can still use any strap with them even if that strap doesn't have their strap locks on it as the Dunlop button is shaped much like any strap button.

Both are pain in the *** to get installed on a thick leather strap - Schaller because there could be more thread to get the nut down more securely (I stick it in a vice then crank down with a ratchet wrench) and Dunlop because that washer is a hassle.

Other guys swear by taking a metal washer and just leave the strap on the guitar because there's no way to take it off without unscrewing it or using the rubber grommet from a bottle of Grolsh to make things more of a snug fit while allowing them to still remove the strap (if a bit clumsily).

100% yes on installing Schallers. I just put them on my LP. Like others have said, I'd recommend a couple toothpicks and woodglue. The top button screw that comes with schallers is the exact same size as the LP screw - I just used the original screw. The bottom is much smaller than the one you take off, so like other have said, either file the screwhead or use toothpicks. I didn't have any way to file, so I took some woodglue, and jammed 2-3 toothpicks in the hole, and it's held just fine.

I have read some reviews on the Mighty Mite strap locks' date=' and initially had good results, but as the springs and ballbearings got worn, they became loose. They did not report any guitars falling, but just the potential is enough to make me wary.[/quote']

Thanks! :)

On the other hand' date=' I have some sets of Schallers that I've been using for probably 15 years or longer. At around $15 for a set, they are very cheap insurance.[/quote']

They are indeed cheap insurance.

I'm amazed at the number of players that balk at the idea of installing strap locks. A Lester without strap locks is a disaster waiting to happen.

If a player ever sees a Les Paul take a strap dive and snap off the headstock (I have), I'll bet they'll be rushing right out to get some strap locks - and not bread bag clips or whatever, either.

$15 to assure the safety of a $$$$ guitar is a no-brainer.

My VOS came with some, but I have no idea what kind they are. Took me a while to figure out how they work, since I'd never seen any strap locks before. Once I got that sorted, took me an hour or so to get the strap onto them because the leather on the strap was so thick. Hopefully there on there for good.

Archived