Gibson Brands Forums

Out of curiousity...

Ian Martin

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elvendio' date=' wood is not that expensive nor is the lacquer. The hardest and most expensive part is buying the tools needed. You can get nitro lacquer at Lee Valley. They sell Deft nitro and poly clearcoats. It is pretty good for self levelling, with a minimal orange peel, but it will check easily, once applied. I suggest that you start out doing bolt on neck guitars with no neck angle, like Strats and work on basic woodworking, finishing and electronics first. Then if you are going to continue on with it, start looking at making your own necks later. Necks are the hardest part to make; and require the biggest number of, and most expensive, special equipment.

I bought my first Les Paul in 1980, after buying my first Strat. It was a Pro Deluxe. I was 16.[/quote']

I was thinking about having a through neck built for me. I have been shopping for master class quilted maple top and the going rate is over $400 just for the top. I could go with a lower quality but still cost a few bones.

I might start my project after the summer when I have more time an $. I'll be sure to post if I start.

Looks like I'm second oldest so far, I had my 28th 29th birthday about 3 weeks ago. Started playing when I was 11 on an old Harmony. Had various acoustics, mostly Alvarez/Yari on and off over the years, but didn't go electric until about 4 years ago when I bought an Am Delux strat. First Gibson was maybe 2 years ago when I bought my LPVM.

I am 38 and got my first Les Paul when I was 25. Unfortunately I had to sell that one about a year later to pay off college debt.

Then I wasn't able to buy my next one until I was 32. Thank goodness I have been able to keep that beauty. I hope she stays in the family. It is my Ebony Les Paul Standard. She weighs a ton but has given me a lot of great memories and just keeps getting better every year.

I'm 25 and got my first Les Paul yesterday. I was 6 when I got my first guitar, an old black hollow body hand-me-down with MOP pickguard and Bigsby type bridge that my teacher took off because it was "distracting". I quit when I was 12 and picked it back up at 18 and had an Ibanez RG220. Now I hate Floyd Rose trems.

I'm 41 and got my first Gibson when I was around 24 years old when I was working in a music store and could buy them at dealer cost. I first got my Custom Shop Les Paul Custom and then picked up my SG Junior at the store's annual clearance sale for... hold on to your seat... well below dealer cost for $250. The SG Junior was so cheap because it was around 1992 or '93 and Nirvana was all the rage and everyone wanted Fender Mustangs and Jaguars so SG Juniors weren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Has anyone else ever done this?

I saw this thread as a new post and started reading from the beginning. I'm thinking to myself that all this looks familiar. Maybe I'm having deja vu. Then I see an avatar that looks like mine and was posted by Saturn! No wonder it looks familiar! Then I realize that this thread seemed to have ended on April 12, but was resurrected today. :-#

Has anyone else ever done this?

I saw this thread as a new post and started reading from the beginning. I'm thinking to myself that all this looks familiar. Maybe I'm having deja vu. Then I see an avatar that looks like mine and was posted by Saturn! No wonder it looks familiar! Then I realize that this thread seemed to have ended on April 12' date=' but was resurrected today. :-# [/quote']

Yeah, thats what i thought too, and i could've sworn it was cudamax who started the thread, not ian martin...

Well, er... I hate to pull rank on you guys, but I was 45 when I bought my first and only Les Paul. I never even owned a Gibson until now. Only lusted (They don't have a smiley here for lust thankfully) after them. I bought my first electric (Peavey T-60) at 19 and played it until my Peavey Special amp futzed up. My music playing (except for occasional acoustic) stopped.

My son was my musical salvation! He arrived a rocker! He enjoyed my acoustic and classic rock on the radio, my Yes & Rush tapes, etc.. My wife bought him a little acoustic at 4 and he never looked back. I bought him the Studio VM last month and his playing has gotten even better. Who would think he could play the intro to "Spirit of Radio" by ear at 7. O:)

But this talent of his has rekindled my interest in guitar. I bought my Les Paul because I was tired of stifling my music by playing instruments that could not come close to replicating the tones in my head. Now I rise from the musically dead much as this thread! I'm ALIVE and I can ROCK! Can I have an A-MEN!

I bought my first electric (Peavey T-60) at 19

Very cool.

I have a NICE T-60 made in 1980.

The Ash body looked so good I had a clear gloss sprayed on it.

Beautiful as a T-60 can get....

I bought my Les Paul because I was tired of stifling my music by playing instruments that could not come close to replicating the tones in my head.

I understand completely!

I'm ALIVE and I can ROCK! Can I have an A-MEN!

AMEN Brother!!!

Very cool. I have a NICE T-60 made in 1980. The Ash body looked so good I had a clear gloss sprayed on it.

Beautiful as a T-60 can get....

Likewise Kewl! My T-60 was an '80 model I bought in '81 new. Mine was a Redish Sunburst. Good tone compared to many others I tried in my PR. I tried an Ibanez Iceman that sounded very weak in comparison. I wanted it to work because I thought it looked cool and I was a big KISS fan. Oh well, tone first!

How old are you guys? I'm going to make an assumption that most of you are older since most of the kiddies can't really afford nice guitars. How old were you when you got your first Gibson' date=' and what model was it?

I'm 21. First Gibson was my trusty (and mostly retired) SG Standard at the age of 17.[/quote']

ISadly,I did not get my first Gibson until 2004

Got my first Electric guitar at 13, it was a Hondo LP copy, then in 1979 I bought a 25th Anniversary Strat, in 1980 an LP Pro Deluxe, my first, and in 1981 I got a 79 LP Custom, so at 17 I had 2 LPs and a Strat and two amps. I am now 43. For those who don't wan to figure it out, the Strat I got at 15, first LP at 16.

I'm 14 and am lucky enough to have inherited the family's Les Paul.=D>

Yes, young Hippie friend of mine, your luck is most high! If I was a gambler, I'd suggest going to Vegas. But a better idea is to use the family Les Paul to gig enough to "slap that money on the barrel-head and buy back the family farm." Sorry, just had an Oh Bro' Where Art Thou semi-flashback.

I wish one of my red-necked chicken chasin' relatives had owned something better than a dry-rotted Kay axe. However, I did inherit a couple of shirts and a broken watch once.

Just remember - "With great power comes great respons..." Oh heck I give up!

Congrats!

Yikes! I just turned 59!!!! I can't believe it. I remember getting my 63 Stratocaster like yesterday. Well, I finally sold my prize possession after it sat under my bed mostly for the past 20 years. I'd pull it out and play it every now and then, but.....the fire wasn't there and I didn't think I'd ever play again.

The day I sold it, I bought a Les Paul Studio.....didn't really feel right, so I returned it for my Standard. I was so excited to play such a nice guitar. I paid off my car, bought this guitar, and put the rest in savings. I have a renewed excitement in playing and I feel like playing the Gibson is a new start in music for me.

i bought my first gibson, (les paul studio) @ age 16. i saved my allowence, 100 dollars a month for a year

but now i have 3 gibsons, and still ride a bike to save gas

:-k go figure hahaha

but anyway learned from DON FEILDER, former member of the eagles, who happened to be sleeping in his car @ the walmart parking lot in our town

young kids will always suck, and old guys will always fart"

dont know what it means, but it sounds right

but anyway learned from DON FEILDER, former member of the eagles, who happened to be sleeping in his car @ the walmart parking lot in our town

young kids will always suck, and old guys will always fart"

dont know what it means, but it sounds right

Nicely said Jesse :-k

I'm 118 and my first Gibson was a Gibson Nighthawk Special 3 pick-up version. Used Fenders for quite awhile (easy on the wallet and just an all-around great guitar company), and finally bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio just at the beginning of 2008.

Archived