Gibson Brands Forums

Out of curiousity...

Ian Martin

How old are you guys? I'm going to make an assumption that most of you are older since most of the kiddies can't really afford nice guitars. How old were you when you got your first Gibson, and what model was it?

I'm 21. First Gibson was my trusty (and mostly retired) SG Standard at the age of 17.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How old are you guys? I'm going to make an assumption that most of you are older since most of the kiddies can't really afford nice guitars. How old were you when you got your first Gibson' date=' and what model was it?

I'm 21. First Gibson was my trusty (and mostly retired) SG Standard at the age of 17.[/quote']

I am just about 15 and got my gibson when I turned 14.

I think I'm still considered a kiddy.

My model is a '79 es-175/cc

I know its not a solid body#-o

We are in the Les Paul section thought...

Morgan

i am 26. I got my Les Paul Studio brand new in 1995 when I was 14. It was my 2nd guitar ever, the first being a crappy Samick Strat copy. I remember I pulled together all my Christmas and b-day money for 1995 and 1996 to get it. And even then I still owed my parents several hundred dollars (they were nice enough to advance me the money and not charge me interest :-& )

I'm 46.

Got my first Gibson at 30. It was a 1979 LP Custom that was a back killer.

The guitar that turned me onto Gibson in the first place was Snowy White's Gold Top. I saw him in Thin Lizzy in 1980. Even though Scott Gorham had his '59 Burst, I couldn't take my eyes off the '57 GT!

I now own an R7 Gold Top and play most weekends in a classic rock covers band. Our setlist includes 5 Thin Lizzy songs!

Lucky me (sigh)...

I'm 47. My first Gibson (ha ha) was a headstock-less EB-2 bass I found at a friend's house when I was 16 and bought for $10. Never did find the headstock. I didn't get a COMPLETE Gibson until 1984 when I bought a 1964 Southern Jumbo over the phone from Elderly Instruments for $350. It's still here, in fact about 6 feet away from me.

Led Zeppelin 1 had just come out and Hendrix was alive and well when I was a kid. After about 6 months of playing on a department store 3 pickup nightmare and a Stella acoustic atrocity, mom took me down to Gerry's music shop and Accordian Mart where I got a brand new Fender Stratocaster and a Fender amp. Lucky kid.

I didn't get my first Les Paul until about 35 years later (do the math) which was last December.

The nice thing about being old is having the money to buy what you want. So why not...?

This is a really good forum. Once in a while there is a comment from someone who doesn't have the advantage of age and the wisdom that comes with it - but so what. There is a lot of positive energy here.

I am 48. My first guitar was a crappy acoustic that had a bow in the neck like a bow&arrow. I was around 12 at the time. At 14 my dad (who was in the music business) took me to the old Chicago Guitar Gallery to pick up a electric guitar. Knew I just wanted an electric and got a Strat because of Hendrix. Traded that in in a couple for years for a Gibson Les Paul. Had that for 10 years and the band broke up. Gave up guitar for over 20 years and decided to go at in again for fun and relaxation. While I was in Nashville last Dec. and was at Gibson Showcase when my wife said "You have been wanting one for a couple of years now, pick one out". Stayed there for over 2 hours trying as many out as wanted until I found the one I liked and brought it back home.

Was great that the wife and daughter said "you send money on us all the time, now spend some on yourself". Well I have started, this March I also got a Strat. Next up is the Marshall half-stack.

Ha, I'm 37 and my robot I got for christmas is my first Gibson. I bought a strat squire when I was 13 but sold it a few weeks later I then bought a Raven SG when I was 19, realy nice guitar I still play it today. Although I don't paly it as much as my Les paul is just so much better.

I am actualy thinking to start building my own guitars. I watched a web site from Jeff Miller and was so blown away by the guitars he was building I told myself that I had to try that. I am now Shopping around for the perfect wood and trying to find nitro lacquer here in Canada is no easy task. It will actualy cost me almost as much in materials as to buy a new Gibson but if I can build one near as good the felling of satisfaction will be worth so much more.

26 Yesterday. Got my first Gibson on Christmas last year. I've been playing for about 14 years now....my God I should be better. I started my obsession with LP's right away though since Aerosmith got me into music. I had one of those Les Paul posters that show all the models in......1994? I memorized all the specs and still have the poster. I'm a geek for this stuff!

I started building strats a few years ago. Now that stuff is fun! I'm working on a tele right now and after that I'm going to go for a neck thru project.......hmmmm.

I'm 29, got my first guitar when I was around 18...a Squire Strat. Started a rookie band for a while, left it, then joined another band, left that one too. I couldn't take all the constant whining - I swear, band members are worst than chicks! Been playing alone ever since.

The guitar the got me into Gibsons was the SG from the Black Sabbath video for Paranoid. It was the first one I'd seen and my jaw nearly hit the floor.

My first Gibson came when I was 26. My basement had flooded and ruined my Squire. At the time, I had just graduated from college and got a really good paying job; so, I figured it was the right time to treat myself...wine red SG Special.

Kept it for around 2-1/2 years. September 2007 I bought my LP Custom and my stack. A month later I traded my SG for a SG Standard (probably the only guy on the site that hasn't regretted selling a Gibson)...and as you can see by my signature, I've been on a bit of a roll ever since. [-X

I was never really good enough for a Gibson, but only a Gibson is good enough for me.

I recently turned 40, but don't really feel it. I bet Everyone says that when they turn 40!

Although my first guitar at age 14/15 was a no name LP copy, I didn't get a genuine Gibson until about 3 years ago. It was well worth the wait after playing a MIM Strat for the previous 10 years.

I'm a very immature 51 year old. Does that count? I can't really afford nice guitars either.

Hasn't stopped me though ...

[-X

Got my first Gibby at 17, an SG with p90's. Had no idea what I had at the time either. Bought it myself and paid $350 for it used but traded it a few years later for an LP custom. Very good move on my part :-)

I'm 30, but feel like a ten year old since i got my first gibson las year, a standard faded in honey burst, and have never been so happy with a guitar, i think i finbally found THE ONE, and my days of buying a different guitar every 6 months or so are over, i may buy an sg and a melody maker soon, a doubleneck if i get the chance to play it before buying it, but thats all, no more guitars for me as i already found my lady.

First guitar? a very goog acoustic guitar made here in ecuador with fine woods... i was 12 and the guitar didnt last mch as i didnt apreciate her for what she was.

First electric? ablack epiphone special II bought in 96... i still have her, but now she's white with gold hardware and emg active pickups (zakk wylde set). I'm currently preparing her to give her a different finish and will post pictures as soon as i finish her.

I'm 46 and got my first (and second) Gibson earlier this year. Yea, I got bit by the LP bug. I spent 20 years in the Army and am on my second career, now I can have nice things without worrying about it getting destroyed because of a move (14 moves in 20 years).

Archived