Gibson Brands Forums

Which Marshall produces the best tone?

ledzep59

By tone' date=' I am looking for that [b']Gibbons/Allman/Page [/b]sound. MK2? JCM? Plexi?

I am assuming you mean the tone of tres hombres, fandango, led zeppelin 1/2/3/4, and live @ the fillmore east

that IS the tone, a little harsh and treble-y, lots of gain, but not much "fuzz", more of a hard crunch, the tone of "you dont love me" from ABB, "heard it on the X", from ZZ, and the major riffage of "how many more times", or "immigrant song" from zep3

like I said in my earlier post, a jtm45 cranked all the way, I also used a jcm900 for a while with the preamp all the way up, and the gain all the way down

on a jcm900' date=' there are 2 "gain" controls

a preamp gain, and a gain sensetivity

its kinda like bottom end gain, and top end gain[/quote']

I didn't know that; sounds like a very cool feature! Kinda like jumping channels in an old, non master volume Marshall.

What Marshall head do y'all think has the best tone? By tone' date=' I am looking for that Gibbons/Allman/Page sound. MK2? JCM? Plexi?[/quote']

As far as new production models, you might want to check into the Vintage Modern. It avoids some of the real high-gain territory, yet it has a master volume. Anything JTM45 (or Pexi) will need to be cranked loud enough to cause pain to achieve the tones you are looking for. (Yes, attenuation is an option as well).

i've had them all over the past 25 years and i have to say it comes down to music style. i saw a punk band last night and the guy was using a jtm45 with a 2X12 open back cab. if you're going for that stooges/MC5 sound, this is it. i liked the versatility of the JCM900 clean/dirty channel back 'in the day'. nowadays, i've found that versatility in the haze 40 as well and its not a backbreaker.

METRO AMPS has a kit that anyone who can operate a soldering IRON can build there own PLEXI at 45, 50 or 100 watts for 550 and up .

I built a 45 watter for a friend in 3 days and he bought a vintage marshall cab from the 60's and it;s a hard sell to tell the difference.

Look em up at VINTAGE GUITAR MAGAZINE....@ wwwvintageguitar.com

These deserve a look see, Personally I would purchase a DELUXE REVERB RE-issue and do the upgrades and it will sound so close to a VINTAGE one only you can tell the difference,

JUST MY OPINION

ST JAMES

on a jcm900' date=' there are 2 "gain" controls

a preamp gain, and a gain sensetivity

its kinda like bottom end gain, and top end gain[/quote']

On the JCM900 The Second Gain Stage it uses Diode Clipping.

Its the Same thing as in any Distortion Pedal.

So it Kinda Has a Pedal built in.

But the 900 has no Bottom end at all.

You can get a Little more bottom end

if you put an EQ in the loop.

If it had more botton end, it would

be the Perfect Amp

000_7413.jpg

Archived