Gibson Brands Forums

A...gig, if you will

matiac

I'm going to bring my mandolin to the nursing home today, to play for my Father, who has Alzheimer's Disease, and is close to going to his Maker. Doctor said last night he has a day, maybe two left before he's gone. He had a mandolin when I was very young, an old "round-back" A-type, and it's my hope that maybe it'll spark something in him, and I've never been more nervous. I've played before hundreds of people before, and this "gig" has me so damn nervous, but I'm gonna do it, because he loves music, especially that Bluegrass type stuff, and it's the least I can do. I love you Dad.

I'm going to bring my mandolin to the nursing home today' date=' to play for my Father, who has Alzheimer's Disease, and is close to going to his Maker. Doctor said last night he has a day, maybe two left before he's gone. He had a mandolin when I was very young, an old "round-back" A-type, and it's my hope that maybe it'll spark something in him, and I've never been more nervous. I've played before hundreds of people before, and this "gig" has me so damn nervous, but I'm gonna do it, because he loves music, especially that Bluegrass type stuff, and it's the least I can do. I love you Dad.[/quote']

You are a good son G&F. Those good folks in the twilight of their years enjoy any form of entertainment that breaks the monotiny.

What's on the set list?

I both envy and admire your plans for the day, compadre. It'll give you something to hold on to when Dad's gone on, something that you know gave comfort to him...and you. Been there, done that. I sang both my Parents out with songs they'd taught me when I was just a tad.

Hope you'll give your Da a kiss from all of us who miss ours. He raised a good Son.

I'm so sorry you, (and we all), have to go through this kind of thing. I'd give anything to be able to play music with my dad again, (11 years gone).

Enjoy yourself, and remember this is the way things are supposed to work... kids bury their parents, any parent who has lost a child will tell you they'd go in an instant rather than the other way around.

God bless you and your father.

Bob

You are a good son G&F. Those good folks in the twilight of their years enjoy any form of entertainment that breaks the monotiny.

What's on the set list?

Thanks guys, it's just something I "have" to do, and for my Dad, it's the least I can do. Hell, if not for him, I wouldn't be here number one, and his love of music inspired me among other things, I used to sit and watch him play that old roundback for hours, and when he was downstairs in the cellar working on something (he never stopped, always had something to do), and I'd sit on the stairs and sing "Rambling Rose" (I dug Nat King Cole as a kid) pretty much front to back. He was/is a fair, yet firm Father, I can only hope I'm half the man he is, and will always be. My respect for my Father transcends mere words, as a child, I worshiped the guy, he's done more for me through my life than I can ever say in a forum thread, and I'm always going to be grateful for that. And as long as he's remembered, he'll never die. As for a set list? There is none, in my usual style, it's going to be off the cuff. I'm not going to "think" it, I'm going to "Feel" it. And again, Thanks, it means more to me than you'll ever know.

Well, I did it. Played my own little version of "Wildwood Flower" (it was one of his songs he used to play), and I'll swear and be damned he smiled, and that absolutely warmed my heart to see that. My Mom was there too, and my Niece and her son, they didn't see it, but I did, I never took my eyes off him while I played, and I asked "how was that?", and it seemed to me like he was trying to talk, but couldn't. After a while of just basically noodling, my Mom says, "I didn't know you played mandolin?", and I said I didn't either up to about 2 years ago. But a good time was had by all, including I'm pretty sure my Dad, and that was my aim, and I was nervous for nothing, it was a pleasure. It was one of those times where it just "flowed out of me", and you all were right, I will remember it. I even had another resident, an old Italian woman standing in the doorway listening, and I don't understand Italian, but I think she approved too. It was a pretty kool experience, was there almost 3 hours, playing the whole time.

Great job GF. Thanks for the inspiring post.

I've just been working on trying to find a place for my dad, at least for a while. He turned 82 today, but is in a rehab hospital after a car accident last month. His current hospital plans to discharge him next week. He has a traumatic brain injury and I don't know if he will ever really recover. It's not alzheimers, but the injury causes him to have trouble with reality and he's been almost bed ridden since September 4. He was never realy a big music fan though, so I probably won't try something similar to what you did.

Good post

Archived