Gibson Brands Forums

Songs in your head

Johnt

Dreek Sunday morning here, woke up early by puking dog.

Have "That's what you get for loving me" by Gordon Lightfoot in my head!

So sitting here thinking about other occaisions when a song is somehow there and won't leave.

I recall a day when Sugar Sugar was bothering me half way around the M25.

How say you?

Been Humming this old buffett tune since returning from a recent shrimping trip......

"I want to go back to the island,

where the shrimp boats tie up to the pylons

Give me oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year

and I'll be fine"....

"Cause I want to be there,

I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there

with a tin cup for a chalice filled up with homemade wine

I'll be chewing on a honey suckle vine".

"Salt air it ain't thin It will stick right to your skin

and make you feel fine".

This sounded in my had this morning as I woke up:

... get up! Get on up!

Get up! Get on up!

Stay on the scene' date='

like a sex mashine!

Stay on the scene,

like a lover mashine!

Ride on, ride on!

Ride on, ride on!...

James Brown

[/quote']

If you felt like that perhaps it might have been more appropriate to stay in bed LOL

This sounded in my had this morning as I woke up:

... get up! Get on up!

Get up! Get on up!

Stay on the scene' date='

like a sex mashine!

Stay on the scene,

like a lover mashine!

Ride on, ride on!

Ride on, ride on!...

James Brown

[/quote']

Blimey Krasi! You'll do yourself a mischief if you carry on like that on a Sunday morning.

Not a song as such but was driving home late last night and was listening to Bob Harris. He played Kashmir by LZ. How good is that 3/4 riff over the top of a 4/4 drum beat?

Revolutionary at the time and I can't think of another song since which has adopted this as a

structure.

Genius.

I'm relieved to hear that this happoens to other people too.... I know my marbles were lost a long time ago, I just figured this was a small part of the process that manifested early in life.

A talk radio program that comes on at 5 a.m. uses "Baker Street" as it's theme song, which I heard 44 minutes ago. It's now in my head until something drives it away.

I do note it's seldom a song one would intentionally choose on the proverbial mental jukebox; it's usually the theme from Green Acres or similar. Lately there's been a lot of Monty Python on TV, so there have also been some of their more well known novelty songs, which leads to spontaneous laughter on my part, adding to the Lost Marbles Legend.

Great post...bringing this up. Songs in my head happen all the time, always have. I think that's what a great songs (even songs one may not initially perceive as great) can do. If a song gets into my head, I always treat it as a seriously great song to have that power.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Great post...bringing this up. Songs in my head happen all the time' date=' always have. I think that's what a great songs (even songs one may not initially perceive as great) can do. If a song gets into my head, I always treat it as a seriously great song to have that power.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff [/quote']

I agree, but sometimes the songs in my head are from some stupid commercial, from tv.................

=;[-o<:-$[-(:-k:-$

Yeah...but, commercial jingles are by their nature supposed to be those catchy great melodies that get into your head. That means they're great melodies. The power of music...amazing. When I write an original song and I have someone who hears it and tells me it crept into their head...I generally know its a good song because it connected with another human being-that's always a musical accomplishment.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The second I read this, The New Riders of the Purple Sage song "Over and Over" popped into my head:

Now this little tune has been stuck in my head

Ever since Tuesday when I went to bed

But this little tune makes me think about you

Ain't nothing else that a tune ought to do

Yeah...but' date=' commercial jingles are by their nature supposed to be those catchy great melodies that get into your head. That means they're great melodies. The power of music...amazing. When I write an original song and I have someone who hears it and tells me it crept into their head...I generally know its a good song because it connected with another human being-that's always a musical accomplishment.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

[/quote']

Let's not confuse catchy, with "great!!

Not confusing the two...just referring to it on a different level. While people have different tastes of music they like, dislike...a melody that can connect on a level to get into another person's head, even if it is outside one's genre or one's musical taste...even if it is plain simple or even dumb, is really an indication of the power that some melodies can have on a level none of us can even begin to figure out. That's what I meant. It's the same basic factor really that has resulted in some melodies remaining in the social conscience for decades or even centuries. It's like why are kids virtually born knowing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or as of late, it seems, seemingly almost born knowing John Denver's Country Roads...somehow it universally sticks in their heads and being from an extremely early age upon hearing and absorbing it. Quite powerful...

Good topic...musically thought provoking for sure.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

All I know is that I had the song "linger" by the cranberries stuck in my head for days once. Now, if it's playing somewhere, like in a store or on the radio, I immediately leave or switch stations. It's become physically repulsive. Sometimes stuck songs can be baaaaaaaadddddd.

Was thinking about lively songs yesterday night and sat down and learned "I Think We are Alone Now" by Tom James and the Shondels. Sounds cool on an acoustic and has relatively easy chords.

Fred

Whenever I think of TJ and the Shondells, I remember my roller skating years around grade six. We used to go to the roller rink every Saturday and play tag, going around and around and around, to I Think We're Alone Now, Crimson & Clover, and Mony Mony. Over and over and over. The boys would chase us on our skates. I wasn't very good at skating, but I tried hard and rarely fell. My best friend Debbie was beautiful. She had long brown wavy hair; mine was long and blonde. She was like Veronica and I was more like Betty. Back then you could buy a bag of chips for a quarter and a pep chew for five cents!

Oh crap, now I've got Mony Mony in my head

I get daily texts from some site displaying the entertainment fact of the day, could be Broadway, could be rock & roll. Today the fact was what song was #1 on this date in 1990. Now I'm stuck with it.

"To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal

Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle "

If you do not recognize the lyrics, please do not google, lest you be stuck with it as well.

Archived