Gibson Brands Forums

Unbelieveable........?

bluzhammer

Well, at least I thought so, I purchased a Studio Deluxe around 30-40 days ago and after several trips to my luthier for neck and fret buzz issues I returned it to GC. They took it back , no questions asked. I upgraded to the Traditional Pro and took it to have a bone nut and set up done. When my guy removed the corian nut, he discovered that the neck wasn't glued down all the way down to the third fret. So, he repaired it, put the stock nut back on and I took it back to GC and again no questions asked receiving store credit. Now my question is WTF is up with Gibby?

I am sorry to hear this. I have not met anyone first hand with any of these QC issues, although Roger (Rogerlewis) said he knew someone who received their right handed Gibson Les Paul out of the box but strung for a left handed player; Although this is nothing compared to the misfortune you have encountered!

Matt

Well' date=' at least I thought so, I purchased a Studio Deluxe... returned it to GC.[/quote']

First mistake: buying from GC

Buy a Custom Shop Les Paul.

Would come with no case and no COA and maybe with the words "made in USA" on the back of the headstock if he bought it from GC =D>

Well thats just wrong. Hope you have better luck with the next.

It was explained once to me that GC is the largest distributor of Gibsons, and with that, Gibson needs to fulfill their order sheet anyway they can and as quickly as they can. The few select super-distributors, get the opportunity each year to "hand select" specific guitars off the line for their own shops. GC is a great place to sample and decide what you want, but you will always be better off purchasing from one of the so called "super distributors".

Buy a Custom Shop Les Paul.

:-

That isn't the answer in my opinion. A guitar that is even £200, should still be a functioning and efficient instrument. You should have to pay more money for superior tonal qualities and not just a functioning guitar that works.

Matt

That isn't the answer in my opinion. A guitar that is even £200' date=' should still be a functioning and efficient instrument. You should have to pay more money for superior tonal qualities and not just a functioning guitar that works.

Matt

[/quote']

I totally agree mate.

It was an Atlanta store and both guitars were boxed according to the store. Anyways the reason I buy from them is convenience and, staff. There I said it , they have an excellent staff at this store . I have never had a customer service complaint against these guys. I believe every store is different just as all of us are different. Truthfully I drive past a GC near me because of the people in the store I frequent.

And let the buyer beware' date=' what store was that, I bet its back out to be sold...[/quote']

I would bet your right! A few years ago I bought a Martin 16 something or other GC special numbered series. When I played it at the store the strings were old, and I thought that was why it wasn't holding tune well. So they gave me a set of strings.

I took it to a Martin repair guy and after doing some checks we learned that;

1. It was not new! It was about five years old and had sat in a warehouse in Southern Cal. (probably not climate controlled).

2. It had been sold and returned twice!

3. The top had sunk and it needed a lot of work.

I returned it and the next day it was on the floor.

I also have been in GC when I found a Taylor with a cracked fret board, when I pointed it out to the salesman he sheepishly said "oh, I thought they fixed that".

It was back on the floor two weeks later, cracked fret board and all.

That doesn't mean you can't get good stuff at GC, it means you really have to be careful.

When I bought my J-12-15 Martin I asked GC to order it new from Martin and I paid up front for it. They gave me a heck of a deal (under $700.00!) and I was there when they opened the box from Martin and still have the shipping order.

It was a good way to do business.

Honestly, I have tried to believe the reason Guitar Center sells so many fxcked up guitars is simply a matter of numbers. They are the biggest retail chain by a mile, and they move more guitars than anybody else can even dream of. Stands to reason that they would be the unfortunate purveyor of more guitars with "issues" by default.

I mean, if a small dealer sees 5% of the guitars he sells have problems - but only sells 20 pieces a year...

It just doesn't wash.

I don't know if Gibson really dumps problem guitars on them knowing the GC business model stands a better chance of getting them sold, or if it's the serial ineptitude of the sales staff and the anything-for-a-buck mentality of the management in each store that makes them the Dirty Dawgs in the retail guitar game.

Whatever....

I'll just add this to the hundreds of Guitar Center stories I've collected over 20 years.

What's one more?

(See my signature if you really wanna know how I feel about 'em.)

It doesn't sound like Guitar Center actually did anything wrong - they took back two guitars with no trouble. It's not as if they built the guitar.

[-o<

I'm going here.

I've only been in one Guitar Center in my life, when I was one vacation last July in Evansville In.

It's a sad little store in a strip mall. I don't get it.

But "Guitar Center" doesn't build guitars.

Rarely will a guitar be "boxed" at GC. They typically hang them on the wall as soon as they are received. If you want a sealed box from GC you need to special order and arrange to receive the still sealed box. Rest assured that the returned guitars are right back out on display for sale. However, the manufacturing defects are not attributable to GC, but rather to the manufacturer. Purchase volume of a particular store has nothing to do with the production quality of the particular guitars ordered by that store, and there is no hand-picking of guitars. Dealers place orders via purchase orders and the factory fills the order from stock in the d.c. and/or new production. The guitar builders in the factory do not know what dealer any guitars are going to. Picking boxes and shipping them to fill orders is handled by d.c. personnel who are simply packing and shipping units. Generally only artists have their custom production instruments associated with them at the time of production. Sweetwater is in fact an entirely different kind of company than GC.

The guitar builders in the factory do not know what dealer any guitars are going to.

GC gets many models exclusively' date=' so it's no stretch to say the guy working on a certain model knows this.

These 'exclusives' only go to other dealers after GC sales taper off.

Cold hard fact.

Gibson is in cahoots with Guitar Center in this regard - there's absolutely no doubt.

That being said, I will be the first to tell you that it would be mighty presumptuous to speculate what transpires in private conversations at the factory - or in a GC store or office somewhere out there in Retail Land.

Gibson I'll give the benefit of the doubt, and give them an internet forum scolding for letting turds slip thru QC.

Guitar Center [i']will[/i] fxck anybody if they aren't savvy enough to keep their poop chute well-protected.

Another cold hard fact.

Gibson I'll give the benefit of the doubt and give them an internet forum scolding for letting turds slip thru QC.

Guitar Center will fxck anybody if they aren't savvy enough to keep their poop chute well-protected.

Another cold hard fact.

Curiously, I think I agree.

Archived