Gibson Brands Forums

Ever listen to a band that scared you?

dem00n

I can't say I was scared' date=' but back in the day there was one point where I and a lot of people with me thought that the Black Metal thing in Norway was getting a bit out of hand. The church burnings, Mayhem's singer blowing his head off with the band members taking pictures of the mess and those pictures then ending up as an album cover and the rumours of them making necklaces out of his skull fragments and eating parts of his brain, the murder of Euronymous and tons of other stuff kind of made you realise that these guys are not just playing around. As silly as they may look at times, they were truly messed up people. And while it didn't scare me as such, it was at the very least a bit disturbing, but also undeniably a part of what made it all so interesting as well.[/quote']

I agree... what they did was some scary and disturbing stuff, how they were allowed to go to such extents is beyond me.

I'm told that the way Josh White did "Ballad of Sam'l Hall" was spooky with lighting added to the last line... "G-D your eyes" in the folkie venues of nearly a half century ago.

The folkies Koerner, Ray and Glover supposedly had difficulties with a piece, "Creepy John" that referenced "three women dead..."

http://www.mspot.com/song/ray_koerner_&_glover/creepy_john

BTW, Karen... this is the first 7-string I'd heard, doubled "G" with an octave. I used one both for folkie stuff and even in a rock band when I was a kid in my early 20s. I think John Koerner was playing it prior to 1961.

Now this music didn't "scare" me, but...

Naaah. I've been more "concerned" with some blues venues and/or musicians and the quick-tempered wife of one country picker I played music with for six or eight months.

m

I'm told that the way Josh White did "Ballad of Sam'l Hall" was spooky with lighting added to the last line... "G-D your eyes" in the folkie venues of nearly a half century ago.

The folkies Koerner' date=' Ray and Glover supposedly had difficulties with a piece, "Creepy John" that referenced "three women dead..."

http://www.mspot.com/song/ray_koerner_&_glover/creepy_john

BTW, Karen... this is the first 7-string I'd heard, doubled "G" with an octave. I used one both for folkie stuff and even in a rock band when I was a kid in my early 20s. I think John Koerner was playing it prior to 1961.

Now this music didn't "scare" me, but...

Naaah. I've been more "concerned" with some blues venues and/or musicians and the quick-tempered wife of one country picker I played music with for six or eight months.

m

[/quote']

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that stuff! Some of those old songs were downright evil. Lots of murder ballads in them old hills.

I have never heard a 7-string. I knew Roger McGuin (sp?) played one regularly, but I've not heard it. I have to master the 6-string first!

Karen...

The 7-string Koerner - later me <grin>, still later??? (maybe concurrent in the '60s?) McGuinn have all played has a doubled "G," (tightly paired as in a 12-string) so it's not really fingered any differently (necessarily) than a regular 6 string.

But that octaved "G" does give it a neat ringing sound. Some day I may make another one for myself. Hmmmmm. This'll sound silly, but I used a cupla old Harmony archtops to electrify and convert to this type of 7-string. I wonder whatever happened to them, 'cuz I surely can't remember the things that went bye-bye circa 1969 or '70. And in those days, who cared much about Harmony archtops? They weren't any big deal. Now I wish I had a couple of 'em again.

Hey, pop over to the referenced web site and you can hear a bit of Koerner's 7 string.

Yeah, a lotta old music has been as "evil" as any of the new stuff.

On the other hand, a lotta saloons haven't always been a place where a guitar picker might wish to take his best Gibbie. And that's pretty much style independent, as far as I can see. <grin> Country, rock, blues - in the olden days swing...

Certain types of "rock" make a big deal out of violence but... hey, I've been playin' country when it seemed a good idea to crank up the amps to cover the sound of a contretemps on the "dance" floor. <grin>

m

When I saw Mr Big open for Rush I was Alarmed by the Speed and Accuracy of Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan's dual leads. The way they tapped out blazing lead line simultaneously on bass and guitar was Unsettling, but not quite Scary.

Little Feat was so loud when I seen them in Soboba I was a little concerned for my hearing, but I just made some earplugs out of a Napkin.

When I went to Gigantour in 2008 all the opening acts sounded alike, so I feared for the future of metal, but not my own personal safety. The pit was kinda brutal, but all those Metal Heads are really nice guys that don't let others get trampled in the pit. Just Rowdy Hippies wearing black T-shirts (the big Lugs).

When I saw Albert King in 1990 with BB King and Bobby Bland I was afraid he wouldn't make it much longer. He died three months later, so glad I seen him!! RIP Bluesmaster.

I saw Evanescence when they headlined their own tour back in 2008, but now I'm Afraid it might have been their last tour. Where's the new Album Amy?

I was in Virginia watchin' a local band that let me sit in with them on Road House Blues. Afterward they bought me my first Martini. I should have been afraid, I should have been Very Afraid (Martini's look so harmless).

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante....throw it on before bed. Yikes!

SO glad other people dig this incredibly talented band, mostly the lead singer gets me going *blush

Simply Beautiful, the cover of it, is SO amazing and sexy and

...wait this is about bands that scare me?

Bands themselves don't scare me. I mean, you have a guitar and you're pretentious enough to be ON STAGE for ME to judge. YOU get to be scared, not me. You be nervous, I'm there to boo and throw **** (i'd never do that but you get the idea).

Some bands I won't see cus of the crowds that will show up to watch.

Local punk bands go to a little club called White Swan, here in Houston.

I've heard of guys waking up with teeth missing.

They're not assaulted, just moshed passed out taken to a corner to recover.

SO glad other people dig this incredibly talented band' date=' mostly the lead singer gets me going *blush

Simply Beautiful, the cover of it, is SO amazing and sexy and

[/quote']

Are you also into Secret Chiefs 3? Pretty much Bungle without Patton. (I have a hetero-man-crush on Patton though - that guy is a killer!!)

I knew without Patton there was something going with the band, but I was like "<3 Patton," so I never looked into it.

I'll look into it, though...can't be half bad considering.

I love when guys have mancrushes.

Guys generaly pick men I would pick, like Jason Statham xD

Axe...........that was beautiful. I have it stuck in my head now. Imma go watch chacarron, for a cleansing.

Jason Statham....????

Gee, folks.... You're proving how young you are. <chortle>

Which leads into my next line which is that some "folk" and variations on "martial" music was pretty scary too, and some singers in the old days would make no secret they'd cut your throat or whatever if you pushed 'em around. That recognition is perhaps a reflection of my age group. <grin>

One latter example of "martial" that I've always found rather interesting is from Riflemen of Bennington:

Have ye no graves at home

Across the briny water,

That hither ye must come

Like bullocks to the slaughter?"

Oddly nowadays Vermonters seem from my "frontier" perspective rather unlike their ancestors and/or founders of the state, but then one might note my ancestors left there some century and a half ago because it already was getting to be that way. <grin>

Some of the themes of "you don't mess with me (jim or whomever)" have made it into all sorts of pop music, too, and not just variations of rock.

m

Culture Club.Damnit' date=' I'm serious!

[/quote']

+1.........and "A Flock of Seagulls"

They didn't scare me as in "fear of harming me personally" but the 1st time I saw each of these on MTV, I was truly frightened for the future of popular music.

And I was right !!

I was also pretty scared the 1st time I heard/saw "hardcore" Rap, & Hip-Hop........I thought, "my God(!) what is the music industry coming to?"

And I was right !!

Kiss' date=' Bon Jovi, Journey, Poison..they all frighten me!!!

Matt[/quote']

LOL on that. Actually, I saw UFO at a small venue outside of Miami in the early 80's and although it wasn't a bone chilling event, I was certain for almost a week that my hearing was never going to be the same. It was by far the loudest, sonically disruptive show, I have ever seen.

I can't say I was scared' date=' but back in the day there was one point where I and a lot of people with me thought that the Black Metal thing in Norway was getting a bit out of hand. The church burnings, Mayhem's singer blowing his head off with the band members taking pictures of the mess and those pictures then ending up as an album cover and the rumours of them making necklaces out of his skull fragments and eating parts of his brain, the murder of Euronymous and tons of other stuff kind of made you realise that these guys are not just playing around. As silly as they may look at times, they were truly messed up people. And while it didn't scare me as such, it was at the very least a bit disturbing, but also undeniably a part of what made it all so interesting as well.[/quote']

yeah man, varg is a real creepy dude. glad i don't know that guy....

Obituary LOL I remember listening to them a long time ago.

I remember the first time I listened to "cannibal corpse" (and saw a couple of album cover arts) I don't scare easily but foud that band disturbing :-

The first time I listened to cradle of filth I was a little disturbed too.

yeah, i don't really find any bands or music to be scary either. but i cringe sometimes when i read some of cannibal corpse's song titles and lyrics or when i hear their vocalist announce a song title before they play it. it's just some of the most offensive stuff.... lol

Not that name...Cannibal corpse..the band that ruined death metal.

Thank to their ****ing ****** lyircs' date=' genric guitar and tacky drumming every new death metal band wouldnt want to be "Brutal" and have stupid lyrics about bugs coming out of your ear.

Oh and neo i meant in the mainstream metal world. [/quote']

dude, you're just pissed off cuz cannibal corpse mainstreamed death. it's not 1984 and there isn't an underground anymore. i'm sure possessed, death, morbid angel, and obituary are glad for cc's contributions cuz their careers would've prolly been over back in the mid-90s without em....

dude' date=' you're just pissed off cuz cannibal corpse mainstreamed death. it's not 1984 and there isn't an underground anymore. i'm sure possessed, death, morbid angel, and obituary are glad for cc's contributions cuz their careers would've prolly been over back in the mid-90s without em....[/quote']

1984...man there wasnt even 5 death metal bands back then. lol

Mainstream death metal? My god...that wont ever exsit. :-$

Oh and the underground world is still around! [lol]

Archived